shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s the biggest LGD these days?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MMDs have been getter my bigger for years and the number of sellers keep on growing. It’s hard to keep up. What’s the benchmark for HUUUGE these days? What’s the biggest finished lab diamond currently for sale if money is no object? 15 carats? 20? More?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Don’t know the answer to your question. But did notice something interesting the other day. If you go to James Allen and visit the earth diamond section of their website, their default filters are set to a minimum of one carat. But in the lab diamond section, the default filters are set to a minimum of two carats.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Don’t know the answer to your question. But did notice something interesting the other day. If you go to James Allen and visit the earth diamond section of their website, their default filters are set to a minimum of one carat. But in the lab diamond section, the default filters are set to a minimum of two carats.

Their analytics likely led them to notice a trend in what people were looking for, and would like to make more money as well!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Their analytics likely led them to notice a trend in what people were looking for, and would like to make more money as well!

Agree… worth noting: if two carats becomes the new one carat, that’s still only half the cost… or less if you match quality, since color and clarity in LGD seems to be a lot better than what the average person got in earth grown. Any speculation on where the extra money will go? Size? Cut? Setting? Savings???!!!

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Agree… worth noting: if two carats becomes the new one carat, that’s still only half the cost… or less if you match quality, since color and clarity in LGD seems to be a lot better than what the average person got in earth grown. Any speculation on where the extra money will go? Size? Cut? Setting? Savings???!!!

I personally think it’ll go to life stuff like a house downpayment, but I could also see higher end settings, higher color/clarity stones, or even matching studs, an eternity band, or a pendant for the wedding day.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think these larger sizes really test the pricing logic.
"Normal" size Lab Diamonds have come to much more reasonable levels of price.
Once we get to really large stones...the logic goes south.
A lab grown 10ct costs less to make, per carat, than a 1.00ct. Yet, as it stands, you can buy a few dozen 1cts for the price of a 10ct
That's going to change.......

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I think these larger sizes really test the pricing logic.
"Normal" size Lab Diamonds have come to much more reasonable levels of price.
Once we get to really large stones...the logic goes south.
A lab grown 10ct costs less to make, per carat, than a 1.00ct. Yet, as it stands, you can buy a few dozen 1cts for the price of a 10ct
That's going to change.......

Agree and already we are seeing this effect on 1.5 and 2.0 ct LGD.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
There is a point where it just becomes a better paperweight than ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results