shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s one thing you’ll never do again?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a 'thing'. More a list of names - relationships I wish I'd avoided throughout my life. It's not a long list, but it makes for interesting reading.

I am with you on this. Glad it isn't a long list for either of us. By the way, I'd read that book. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will never get on a boat / ship without motion sickness pills or patch.

The one time I didn't, it took me more than a day to stop throwing up, and 3 days in total for the dizziness and disorientation to go away.

Never ever again!

Seasickness is the worst. I am with you. I use scopolamine patches when I go on boating expeditions. It's been a number of years however so not sure if the patches are still available. I remember they took them off the market in the 90s I think but thankfully they came back in time for my Alaskan cruise in 1995. Anyway they were a life saver.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a traffic ticket.

Haven't gottin one in maybe 10 years, but - still.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a traffic ticket.

Haven't gottin one in maybe 10 years, but - still.

I agree. I got one many years ago and it was very unpleasant. And I felt so guilty. I felt very much what I think a criminal might feel like. I was stopped by a state trooper (1990 or 1991) and I was doing more than 25 miles over the speed limit. It was at 5:30AM on the Palisades Parkway in NY state. I was headed toward West Point where I was working.

It was my first stop by a police officer. My heart went into my mouth and I was a mass of nerves. Police always scared me from when I was little. IDK why. Well maybe because my dad always warned me to be careful of the police. My dad's best friend was a policeman and he warned us all. That is another story for another time and this was in the 1970s so. Anyway suffice to say I had a healthy fear of the police despite being a law abiding person. Omg my heart was beating so freaking fast when he pulled me over.

It was my first (and last to date) ticket. I don't remember too much as it was a blur but I do remember he said he was only citing me for going 15 over the speed limit otherwise my license could be suspended for going so fast. I was just relieved when he left and I was able to resume my drive to work. But I remember feeling like a criminal when he pulled me over. It wasn't a good feeling. I was grateful he was polite, nice and also professional about the whole thing.

Only one other time I got pulled over and it was for going through a solid red light. In the mid 90s. It was late and it was pitch dark out and I was in a tough and dangerous part of Brooklyn where at that time the police traveled in pairs due to the dangerous neighborhood. The officers approached on either side of my car and their hands were on their holsters. I am not exaggerating. They said do you know why we stopped you ma'am. And I said yes, I went through a red light and I am sorry. I meant to stop and I don't know why I didn't. (Of course I did know why and it was because I didn't want to stop in that part of town and no other cars were around and it was desolate and scary). The cops looked at each other and looked at me and said OK we are letting you go. Get home safely. Whew.

I hope never to be stopped again by the police. Unpleasant experiences both of them, despite the good outcome. They have always scared me and I really don't know why. I have advantages others do not have and for those people my heart goes out to you. If they scare me I can only imagine how traumatic it is/would be for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
all my never do agains are kinda naughty... Lets just say I've lived and learned. Thankfully none of that stuff killed me.:shock::lol:

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
“They” say the top 3 most stressful experiences are:
Moving, divorce and death. I don’t know the order.

I believe it. We moved my mom and brother from their home of 40+ years last September, then mom died about 6 weeks later. It was a pretty awful time.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it. We moved my mom and brother from their home of 40+ years last September, then mom died about 6 weeks later. It was a pretty awful time.

I'm so sorry, @m-cubed - it sounds like a truly dreadful time.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am with you on this. Glad it isn't a long list for either of us. By the way, I'd read that book. :)

@missy -

There are a number of people on that list, but suffice to say, one is now head of a large, international charity, one won an Oscar, and one was a serial killer.

So - yes. Very interesting reading.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll never take out a student loan again :) it was a necessary evil at the time but I won't do it again. And YES, I worked FULL TIME and then some all throughout my schooling, 6 years straight of getting my undergrad and grad degrees. Never again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry @m-cubed :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy -

There are a number of people on that list, but suffice to say, one is now head of a large, international charity, one won an Oscar, and one was a serial killer.

So - yes. Very interesting reading.

Oh my, yes very interesting reading. If you ever write that book please let me know.
My list only has 2 people on it and they are fairly run of the mill re their crummy behavior. So I guess I got lucky though there will be no interesting book for me to write. :)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An anti-bucket list! I love it!

I would never try scuba-diving again, and I don't care if I never go ski-ing again as long as I live. I found them both to be highly uncomfortable activities with very little payoff for all the hassle, expense, and danger involved.

I would never have a roommate again, unless I was in dire financial need.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyra, why wouldn't you travel to the US ever again? Did you have a bad experience with it before? We have white-sand beaches, lakes and mountains, truly amazing nature and wild natural beauty, fab cities, great shopping compared to prices in Europe...great weather in many parts...what's so terrible about it that you wouldn't vacation here? Sorry, just scratching my head a bit because it's a country that's so variable, there's something for everyone.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Ride in a large tourist bus up to the top of Madeira. It is solid hairpin turns on narrow roads with no guardrails. Even DH was scared. I just shut my eyes.
Shortly after we did this--there was a horrific bus accident that killed 29 people.
The next time we went to Madeira we hired a private Jeep and went on side roads that were much safer.
I will also never again do carnival rides. I have seen the people who travel with them and do the set up--no thanks.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jambalaya I need a passport to travel to the US, even though the border is less than an hour away. I just feel very pessimistic with this pandemic, and I feel like it will never end and I'll never travel. But if I do get to travel, I want to go other places than the US, and I can't think of a do or die place I need to see in the US. That's all. My husband has been everywhere, and he doesn't particularly like anywhere in the US enough to want to pay to vacation there. I feel the same. It's really not so different than Canada. Maybe Hawaii, but he's been there multiple times. Please keep in mind, I'm not a traveller in general. I would like to see the UK, all of it. Plus Italy, that's my husband's favourite country in the world.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
@Jambalaya I need a passport to travel to the US, even though the border is less than an hour away. I just feel very pessimistic with this pandemic, and I feel like it will never end and I'll never travel. But if I do get to travel, I want to go other places than the US, and I can't think of a do or die place I need to see in the US. That's all. My husband has been everywhere, and he doesn't particularly like anywhere in the US enough to want to pay to vacation there. I feel the same. It's really not so different than Canada. Maybe Hawaii, but he's been there multiple times. Please keep in mind, I'm not a traveller in general. I would like to see the UK, all of it. Plus Italy, that's my husband's favourite country in the world.

Lyra, I get what you are saying. I am in US and there is lots in Canada that I want to visit.
But I can see that as a Canadian there is not so much you want to see in US. You have beautiful country and probably are more interested in exploring Europe/Asia--I get that.
I always cringe when overseas friends/relatives come to the US and go to Las Vegas and Orlando.
I feel sad that some people view the US as Disneyworld and Vegas.
If you visit the US--visit off the radar places like coastal Maine or Utah---not big cities.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a whim, I did an 8 mile Spartan race with three girl friends. I had no idea what it entailed, the climbing over walls, dragging hundred pound cement blocks up a hill, wading through a 5 foot deep mucky pond (I’m 5’2.). Running on dried mud. I was lucky I didn’t break my ankles. Actually the running part was easy. The obstacles were ridiculous. People actually trained for these things. Anyhoo, I’m really glad I didn’t drown and I did a lot of burpees since I skipped over half the obstacles. I didn’t really think things through those days.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let my dear hubby drive in foreign countries! Omg! First he wrecked a brand new rental in Paris And this was on the same trip that he ran out of gas in the heart of the red light district!!! Then there was Ireland—no, just no, he had no business driving in those narrow roads... ugh. Puerto Rico— somehow he finds the most treacherous, mountainous narrow road... I’m still traumatized.. but I finally learned...never again will we rent a car and drive ourselves in a foreign country. I know that Puerto Rico is a territory but let me tell you, that lovely ride was Like a foreign country.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm probably...
  • Big white wedding, waste of money. I'd just go to registry office instead.
  • Change my surname (total pain in the a$$ to do)
  • Be bullied into doing things I don't want to do! :snooty:

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Will never ever lay grass sod again. About 10 years ago, my husband and I decided to regrade our back yard and lay new grass sod all by ourselves. We are both do it yourselfers and gladly accepted the challenge. Problem is that the sod has to go down quickly or it will die on the pallet. Sod also is very heavy. We worked nonstop for 18 hours. Turned out absolutely fabulous, but I literally could barely move for 2 days afterward and my body ached for weeks. To this day, I have the occasional flare up of lower back pain from this task. I will never do this again. Husband says ditto.

Also I never met a roller coaster that I didn’t love....until about 2 years ago. Now in my mid-forties I just can’t take the jerking anymore. Loud sigh.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@aac2013 just reminded me of something similar.
I will never move furniture by myself again.
Once when DH was out of town, I bought some bedroom furniture from a male friend.
My friend offered to bring it up into the bedroom, but I said that DH and I would do it when he came home, so he left the furniture in the garage.
Later that day, I decided to try it myself.
OMG, it was the hardest thing I had ever done. A queen bed with mattress set and headboard, and a big bureau.
We have a split entry home and the furniture had to go up 7 steps from the entry to the living room, then down the hall to the bedroom.
I got it accomplished, but was sore for days afterward.

inne

Shiny_Rock
I will never again snorkel or dive the Silfra rift. It is so cold that my hands felt like they had been beaten with hammers and I cried.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll never again have a bilateral mastectomy... because, well... I won’t need to :lol:

but really, I will never again drink alcohol, smoke cigs, go on a roller-coaster (or any kind of “ride”). And the number one Never Again is to never again complain about my hair.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Listen to gossip/gossipers.

cheers--Sharon

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ll never again have a bilateral mastectomy... because, well... I won’t need to :lol:

but really, I will never again drink alcohol, smoke cigs, go on a roller-coaster (or any kind of “ride”). And the number one Never Again is to never again complain about my hair.

It sounds like you are doing well @ringo865 I‘m so happy for you...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad you are through that and hope all is going smoothly. (((Hugs))).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ll never order my own mulch again. I had no idea how much a yard of mulch was. I ordered more than 20 yards of mulch. I put the cone down on the bottom of my driveway to show them where to dump it. I saw a huge truck approaching the house. I remember wondering how they knew how much mulch was mine. The back of the truck lifted and dumped the whole contents of the truck onto the bottom of my driveway. I ran out to tell the man he made a mistake. Nope..It was all mine. To top it off my husband didn’t want me to order the mulch so he wouldn’t help me spread it. I called every friend I could to tell them to come get some free mulch. They came in droves with their trash cans..When they left there wasn’t even a dent. I went to Home Depot..bought a wheelbarrow and a shovel and spread it myself. It was exhausting and back breaking. I never ordered mulch again unless it was in bags.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results