shape
carat
color
clarity

Whadday think of my ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''m so glad that I stumbled onto Pricescope and leached off of all the expertise here. Thanks very much to all of you!

I just got a 1.004ct H-VS2 Ideal Cut H&A from DirtCheapDiamonds a few days ago and had it set in a DVatche Royal Crown at E.B. Horn (in Boston). For those of you who are wondering, the staff at DCD are great. Jim, Josh, and Jennifer were fantastic at helping me pick my diamond and complete my order. I could go on and on about how awesome they were, but I''ll keep that for another post
1.gif

So, could everyone give me their feelings on this ring? I''d really appreciate your honest opinions. I''m wondering if the "lumps" of metal under the prongs are normal or if I should get E.B. Horn to fix it up a bit.

Here''s the first pic...

rosebud_side2.jpg

rosebud

Rough_Rock
From the front...

rosebud_front.jpg

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring, I'm waiting for some top view and hand shots. I also dealt with DCD and like you had a good experience. I don't see the lumps in the photo you posted, perhaps they are more visible in a different shot.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Nice top shot. I think the prongs look normal.

rosebud

Rough_Rock
From the front, off-centered..

rosebud_frontoff.jpg

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'm very happy
1.gif

The "lumps" that I'm talking about are slight protrusions on the inside of the basket, to the left and right of the diamond's pavilion. Basically, I think it's melted platinum that collected below the top of the prongs.

rosebud

Rough_Rock
From the top...

rosebud_top.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Ok,these "lumps" are seen here:

gi_DV-922Y100b_f.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
and here.

923-b.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I think they keep the stone secure. No?

Anyway- Beautiful, beautiful.
I love your ring. It's so lovely.
DCD is terrific. I used some of their stones for a diamond band.

When do we get to see hand pics?

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sevensone. I feel much better now.

Pearcrazy, I'll post some hand shots as soon as it's on my girlfriend's hand. My hands don't do it justice. :razz:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Not sure what lumps you're referring to, but AM sure that's a gorgeous ring.

Congrats on finding the gal of your dreams, and all best wishes for a lifetime of happiness.

rosebud

Rough_Rock
For clarification, here's a closeup of the prongs with the "lumps" circled in red. Probably, most of you don't notice them because they're normal and I'm just paranoid.

rosebud_closeup.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Sleep well tonight Rosebud. You've got yourself a winner.
And the ring is cool too!
naughty.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look like security for the stone to me. Especially seeing them on the others posted. I wish mine had lumps to keep it more secure. Im insane about it. ALWAYS checking it to be sure any little bump I gave my hand didn't knock it out of alignment or mess up a prong.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS! Well done
1.gif
Please do come back and post hand pics and a proposal story... a few of us here are suckers for both!
2.gif

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your compliments and comments! It never occurred to me that those "lumps" could actually be intentional and serve a useful purpose. *sigh* I have much to learn
1.gif

I will definitely add more pictures once I do the proposal and have some hand shots. Should I put it into another post or just tack it onto this one?

In the meantime, I'm adding the pictures that Jim from DCD gave me:

rosebud_diamond.jpg

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Firescope image:

rosebud_firescope.jpg

rosebud

Rough_Rock
...and the hearts. Oh, by the way, the specs on this stone are: 6.43x6.46x3.94
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 57%
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 1.2-1.9
Flour: None
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 14.8
Pavillion Angle: 40.7
Pavillion %: 42.7

rosebud_hearts.jpg

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't it nice when the numbers and IS images lead you to a lovely stone? Again, kudos on a beautiful pick!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
U sure the lumps aren't reflections? In any event, I doubt you'll see that in person....and no one is going to notice that...they're going to notice that amazing rock!!! Congrats!!!

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Thanks moremoremore. You're right, the lumps are not at all noticeable unless you're looking for them. I was trying to find some dirt on the bottom of the diamond (which I could see through the table) when I spotted them. At first, I thought it was dirt! It wasn't until I looked through a loupe that I could tell that they were actually lumps of metal.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think it's elegant and beautiful!
love.gif
A great stone and setting! Classic!

Congrats & enjoy!
1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful diamond, but I DO see what you are talking about, also on the "arms" leading up to the "basket". These photos are very enlarged, so what you see without magnification, I cannot comment. But, if it bothers YOU, then you should have it remedied. I can tell you that it WOULD bother me, and for the price of DVatche pieces, it really should be perfect. If it was handmade by your local jeweler, then I would cut it some slack because custom handmade pieces usually have small variations around the "basket" area. I've "lived" with the gallery space on basket mountings not being equal, as well as the "tapering" or "pinching" of the shank not completely matching. But my most recent ring IS as perfect as my eyes with magnification can ascertain, and for the price I paid, it SHOULD be! All your jeweler did was set the stone -- it seems to me that it didn't come "finished" from DVatche in a manner that was up to par. Some people don't "sweat the small stuff" like this, but clearly you are like me in that you hyperfocus on these things (not a bad thing -- you paid a lot of money and it should be the way you want and expected it) otherwise you would not have started this thread. I'm sure the jeweler would be happy to send it back to DVatche and get it finished properly, but that means you would be without your ring for a few weeks.

rosebud

Rough_Rock
Hi Headlight. You're right: I am somewhat of a perfectionist. I'm even worse than usual since this ring is going to my girlfriend. In this case, though, I think I will let the lumps slide because I don't have much time leading up to the proposal and I'm a little afraid that something worse could happen to the ring if I put it through a rework. I'll let my girlfriend decide instead
1.gif

I just had the ring appraised by Jeff Averbook at Metro Jewelry Appraisers and he informed me that the lumps are not for security (good guess Sevensone!) and are not really desirable. He also told me that they're not that bad and they're not a sign of poor worksmanship, but perhaps a sign of a hurried finishing up. For those of you thinking of having your appraisal done by Jeff, I can highly recommend him since he's ultra-friendly, uber-knowledgable (with decades of experience), honest, and responsive.

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
wow, that is a lovely ring..i'm sure your girlfriend will love it.

as for the lumps, i'm sure the vendor will do right by you and fix it if you request it. please keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results