shape
carat
color
clarity

WF princess diamond advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joelmole

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of this diamond? I live in Houston, have an appointment with White Flash on Friday. I'm going to look at the A Cut Above stone, as well as this expert selection stone.

My only concern with the ACA stone is the color rating of H. Anybody here have an ideal H princess? How does it face up color-wise?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great and an ideally cut princess in an H is fine for most people, but lucky you gets to see it in person! So just see what YOU think, it won''t really help for all of us to tell you what we think because we can''t see it in person.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have an ACA I colored princess, and it faces up just as white as my friend's less well-cut F princess. Your H should be just fine! Ask them to bring out some higher colored stones so you can compare it in person...lucky you!

ETA: I'd stick with the ACA because of the top-notch ASET. The red going all the way out to the edges is a very good thing and should make the stone look bigger than it is. I gotta admit though, the other stone a pretty decent price for a D, and the cut looks pretty good. There's no cut grade on the report, though...not sure if it would make AGS0 or not. If color becomes a big issue for you, the D is worth thinking about.

joelmole

Rough_Rock
They're bringing out the 1.045 D SI2 Expert Selection stone on Friday, so I'll definitely make that D to H comparison.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Joe!

Ditto the ladies, see what you think when you get there, how wonderful for you to actually get to view the diamonds in person!

joelmole

Rough_Rock
On the ACA stone, the AGS cert shows a very small feather, but it happens to be right on the girdle near the corner. Should this be a concern when it comes to durability? It looks to be the only inclusion marked on the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 4:19:57 PM
Author: joelmole
On the ACA stone, the AGS cert shows a very small feather, but it happens to be right on the girdle near the corner. Should this be a concern when it comes to durability? It looks to be the only inclusion marked on the stone.
No worries with a VVS2 feather. I am sure WF will be able to give you further reassurance when you visit.

joelmole

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your advice! I''ll report back after I see the diamonds. I think my girlfriend and I have settled on this mount!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 4:33:44 PM
Author: joelmole
Thanks for all your advice! I''ll report back after I see the diamonds. I think my girlfriend and I have settled on this mount!
Beautiful and classic!

joelmole

Rough_Rock
I met with Bob yesterday at Whiteflash. They are located in a pretty nondescript office building near the Houston Galleria area. I didn''t wander around the building too much, but there are probably a couple dozen jewelers in there! It''s like a hidden Houston diamond district. I don''t really know how many there are, but just walking through the lobby, taking the elevator, and then walking down to the Whiteflash office, nearly all the office spaces appeared to be jewelers or diamond dealers.

The experience was pretty unique compared to any of the typical jewelers I visited. The receptionist buzzed me in at the front door, I walked down a short hallway where she was sitting at a window, told her I was there for a 1 o''clock appointment, and then a door to my left popped open, Bob poked his head out and said "Joel?"

We sat down in a pretty conventional looking work office with u-shaped desk, he had a tray with the two diamonds, and we just kinda sat there and talked about them.

Both of the stones looked very nice. The Expert Selection stone was not cut quite as nice, and didn''t have quite as much going on in the fire department, but it was a bright stone as far as this layman can tell, and the major inclusion, a pretty decent size crystal smack dab in the middle of the table, actually wasn''t really noticeable to the naked eye. Since it was a white inclusion, it really blended in with the white light bouncing back from the stone, so unless you knew it was there you probably wouldn''t spot it. I would have no problem buying an SI2 like this one.

I did end up deciding on the A Cut Above stone, even with the H color rating. The difference in color was noticeable side by side with the D, but pretty subtle, nothing you would notice in isolation, mounted in the setting. Some people might be sensitive to the color difference, but it didn''t bother me. I really liked how looking into the A Cut Above stone was like looking into a kaleidoscope, the symmetry was just great. Most princesses I''ve seen don''t really give you this effect.

Bob was very friendly and laid back, answered all my questions in kind, no pressure or "pushy salesperson techniques". He lent me a ring sizer to take home, told me there''s not even any need to return it, and told me to get in touch with the consultant who''s been emailing back and forth with me to give him my decision on the diamond and setting. That was that.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a sucessful outing! Congrats on your purchase - I think you got a good one!

joelmole

Rough_Rock
Well, I officially took the plunge yesterday! I was wondering if you guys think the setting I ordered will look good with the v-prong head from this setting. I'm a bit worried because it sits a lot lower than the head in the Unique Settings photo, and the cathedral arch comes in very close to the head, actually looks like it pokes through the head a bit, but I can't really tell.

I'm sure Whiteflash will tell me what they have that will work with the setting once it comes in, but for now, I'm kinda stressing out about it. When my girlfriend told me she liked this setting, I hadn't even thought about the fact that since the cathedral arch is rather tall, and rather tight, it may make things a bit more difficult when it comes to the head.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results