shape
carat
color
clarity

WF Eternity Band similar to Tiffany Metro

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Hello again! This is actually a continuation of THIS THREAD where I was going to get a nice 0.90 Jubilee for my girlfriend as an engagement ring but was eventually turned away from getting a solitaire after much input and deliberation. I had to create a new topic to hopefully remove my tracks (realized how silly it was for me to use the same username that I use in all forums originally!)

Funny story actually: once I had decided to get the Jubilee from GOG (still a fantastic source for diamonds for what it''s worth, great customer service, and I have been referring friends there since), one of my girlfriends'' best friends told me that my girlfriend had a nightmare of sorts right after where I had gotten her a ring with a big rock...so then I realized that she really was serious about not wanting a solitaire (friends would ask "are you sure she''s not just saying that?)

So now I''m going back to what she was asking for, a ring similar to the Tiffany Metro in rose gold, but I''m having it custom made from Whiteflash using their ACA Melee diamonds. They sent me some CAD images (available HERE and HERE). They did state that the final product would look quite different with less metal from the finishing process and the prongs would be lower once the diamonds are set. What do you guys think?

The price is a few hundred dollars less than the Tiffany''s Metro, but I was hoping to find something a little more unique than the Metro, which is why I asked WF to make something similar to the Metro. On the other hand, I''m also inclined to just get the Metro and be done with it? Still torn!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I remember your thread! I like the design, but I think it would look smoother with shared prongs (only 2 prongs between each diamond instead of 4). Something similar to this, but in rose gold.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
harvey, i''m looking forward to seeing what you decide. i also like the tiffany metro and was wondering is WF had a similar band for less (i don''t really want to pay the premium for the metro plus i love WF''s ACAs). did WF give you the measurements for the band (height, width, etc.)? whatever you decide, please come back with photos!
2.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2009 8:12:24 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I remember your thread! I like the design, but I think it would look smoother with shared prongs (only 2 prongs between each diamond instead of 4). Something similar to this, but in rose gold.
I agree...I think shared prongs would be nicer unless you like to see a lot of metal.

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Thanks for following along!

jstarfireb - I was thinking about that too...I''ve been trying to look at pics of the Metro and thought that it was a shared prong style originally but then came across the zoomed picture attached.

I was wondering if the side of the eternity band was smooth as the CAD images showed and not ridged, similar to the diamonds for an eternity band from WF.

22417029_l_over.jpg

allenhah

Rough_Rock
With regards to the other questions, I think the dimensions are 1.4mm width...I''ll have to get the other info from them.

And I will certainly come back with photos and the results!

I''ll ask them if I can get a design with shared prongs...let''s see how that would look.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn''t go custom with a custom ring for that particular style. I would be too worried that it would look cunky or not as delicate as the original. I''ve tried on the Tiffany ring and its a beautiful, delicate ring. I mean WF is saying there will be less metal, but how much less? Also, I think an important consideation is what kind of wedding band will she wear with this ring?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think when you see CAD images they are the basis for the wax mold. Thats why the prongs look bulky. Once the ring is made I believe the ring will be much more like the Tiffany you used for inspiration.

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Winternight - that is my worry as well, which is why I was hoping to get some feedback/input from others before pulling the trigger. I know that I''m paying a premium for a Tiffany''s branded ring, but is the quality of Tiffany''s products good? Do they use good quality diamonds? I think I was hoping for something a little more custom than Tiffany''s and using WF ACA melee diamonds felt like a good start, but I might be going down the wrong path.

I think her ideal setup was something like a Tiffany''s rose gold Metro for an e-ring and a white gold Metro for the wedding band.

Matsie - yes I agree. Particularly given the thin design, the extra metal is probably a bit more bulky.

FYI, they said at the beginning that it was 1.5mm with .45ctw of ACA diamond melee based on the Metro ring.

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Hmmm...so they said that if they change to a shared prong, the diamonds would be more prominent, but it''ll cost me an additional $150 for the CAD charge.

What do you guys think?

Also does anybody know if the Metro ring had smooth or slightly ridged sides?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Tiffany Metro (in wg), I love it. I''ll try to answer your question about if it has ridged sides - it does have very slight ridges, but you can only see those with a loupe, the metal is rounded underneath the ring and comes up very slightly up the sides to meet the ridges, so looking at the side of the band you have half ridges and half metal, but as I said you can only see this clearly using a loupe. I hope that makes sense ? If you have anymore questions I''ll be happy to answer them if I can.
28.gif

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input chamois! I guess if you could look at the CAD designs and let me know if that looks like it could come out looking similar to your ring, that would be helpful. I think I understand what you''re saying about the ridges, but is it possible to take a picture?

Ugh, so torn! I''m starting to lean towards just getting the Metro...at least it comes with the Tiffany''s cleaning service or something, right?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
You''re welcome. The top of the Whitefalsh CAD is very similar to the Metro. The CAD seems to have a tad more metal going up the sides though, however, you may not notice that in real life. Also, the Metro is solid underneath the band (no holes) whereas the Whiteflash CAD has tiny holes, I don''t know if that would make a difference to you, but it might be a consideration regarding cleaning. Unfortunately, we don''t have a Tiffany''s locally, my Metro was bought at a Tiffany''s in a port whislt on a cruise so unless I send it back to the store I bought it in I''m unlikely to be getting anyTiffany''s services for my Metro.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
My opinion is if you want the exact Metro ring then that is what you should get, if the couple of hundred isn''t a budget breaker and you can still pay cash. Its a lifetime ring. Otherwise its unlikely to be a perfect copy, maybe you''ll like it better, maybe you won''t. The imitation knife edge Tiffany rings similarly aren''t an exact copy.

The way it works with Tiffany is that you can always have them clean your ring for free and check the prongs, etc, at the store, but you might want a home cleaner eventually anyways. Personally, I didn''t see enough of a price difference between White Flash and Tiffany for my wedding band, so we just bought it to match my e-ring, which came from Signedpieces.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with W, for the sake of a few hundred. Also, what do you think your partner would prefer ?? Would they prefer that you save the money and get Whitefalsh to make the ring, or have a Tiffany piece ? I''m not the photographer in our house and I don''t have any side profiles of my Metro, I''ll see if I can get my DH to take some later when he gets in from work. If you have a Tiffany near you why not go and have a look at the Metro in person ? That might help you decide either way.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 3:41:21 PM
Author: winternight
My opinion is if you want the exact Metro ring then that is what you should get, if the couple of hundred isn''t a budget breaker and you can still pay cash. Its a lifetime ring. Otherwise its unlikely to be a perfect copy, maybe you''ll like it better, maybe you won''t. The imitation knife edge Tiffany rings similarly aren''t an exact copy.

The way it works with Tiffany is that you can always have them clean your ring for free and check the prongs, etc, at the store, but you might want a home cleaner eventually anyways. Personally, I didn''t see enough of a price difference between White Flash and Tiffany for my wedding band, so we just bought it to match my e-ring, which came from Signedpieces.

Ditto!!!

allenhah

Rough_Rock
As always, thanks so much for all of your input! I think I''ll take another day to let the pros/cons settle and decide tomorrow. At this point though, I''m definitely leaning towards the Tiffany''s piece and just eating the original CAD charge.

Chamois - great idea...I''m going to swing by the Tiffany''s which is close by anyway and take a look for myself!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to phone Tiffany''s first and make sure they have the Metro in for you to see. When I purchased my Metro, I also phoned ahead and asked for the Metro in pink Sapphires (that''s lovely too) so that I had a choice, I decided on the diamond Metro as I aready had a pink Sapphire eternity band which was very akin in width and colour to the pink Sapphire Metro.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
As promised, here''s a profile shot of the Tiffany Metro

100_2991-2.jpg

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Awesome, thanks for the shot!!

I heard back from the Tiffany''s customer service for the Metro:

Color: G-I
Clarity: VVS-VS
Size: 1.15-1.20mm

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I hope that helped. I think you can see better in the photo what I meant about the metal only coming up so far at the sides, it''s also somewhat rounded as opposed to blunt as in the Whiteflash CD. Yes, the diamonds are super sparkly, and the ring looks good on it''s own or paired with other rings.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
harvey,

one of the features of the metro IS the extra metal in view. i love shared settings best, but i actually really like the way they''ve done the metro and think the extra metal works as a backdrop to the white of the stones. so in rose gold, this will look killer.

i say go for it - it''s a different style, with a different final effect, but it will make a beautiful impact.

(i dont buy from tiffany on principle, so i say stay with WF)

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 1:12:52 PM
Author: whitby_2773
harvey,

one of the features of the metro IS the extra metal in view. i love shared settings best, but i actually really like the way they''ve done the metro and think the extra metal works as a backdrop to the white of the stones. so in rose gold, this will look killer.

i say go for it - it''s a different style, with a different final effect, but it will make a beautiful impact.

(i dont buy from tiffany on principle, so i say stay with WF)

i should have said....

the principle on which i dont buy from tiffany is that they''re incredibly overpriced and altho i find their designs lovely, i dont find their workmanship to be anything to rave about and i think the quality of their stones isn''t, on the whole, anything to get excited about either. everything i''ve seen of WF''s ACA melee is GORGEOUS, so i''d def go this route; i think it will sparkle more.

and that''s the point, isnt it?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
if the exact tiffany metro is the ring you want, then i say go for it. especially since i can see how it''d be scary to go custom and not be 100% sure how it''ll look/turn out until it is completed. however, i''m with whitby on the ACAs. i''d take WF ACA stones over tiffany''s any day!!

allenhah

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

So I went ahead and decided on the Metro in Rose Gold, I proposed last week, and she said YES! I just wanted to give back a little bit to thank everybody for their contribution and to convince me to get the right ring, which is the ring that she wanted all along. She was thrilled with pricescope's input. =]

[Link to personal site removed per forum policies.]

Thanks again!
Allen

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it! And you made the right decision!

When you get married, will she add another eternity band to stack the two? I think that would look great!

PS: you can''t link pics on PS, can you post your pics here directly so they will always be available? The links will probably get removed by the mods soon.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congratulations! The ring is so beautiful, thank you for the update and pics!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations to you both !
36.gif
Thanks for sharing the pics, it looks lovely, great choice, although I''m bias !

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its beautiful!

allenhah

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I think she tried on a white gold Metro last week and liked the look. If we go that route, I''ll get another picture and post here.

All the linked pictures are to my website, so hopefully they won''t get pulled. The file attachment rules on the forum are a little restricting (only 1 attachment per post? Less than 100k? Are we still assuming 14.4k modem connections?)

=]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results