shape
carat
color
clarity

WF ACA H&A vs. Expert Selection - 1.705 vs 1.706 ct

OUCam

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at both of these diamonds and they both look like quality stones to me but the WF ACA diamond seems to have more noticeable inclusions on it. Even with these, is the $1200 premium over the 1.706 ct stone worth it for the ACA H&A? Will this make it shine that much more? The 1.705 scores a .8 on HCA and the 1.706 scores a 1.0. The only differences I see is that one is ACA H&A and one is not. Thoughts?

http://pics.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 192369.htm

http://pics.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 141789.htm

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I can't tell the difference between the two cuts - not from the numbers, but am no expert. And I think you may be right abt the ACA being less eye-clean than the ES; and the inclusions (unless they're clear crystals) look not so well located. I'd ask WF for more details and also ask what is their recommendation.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I agree the ACA stone seems to have much more noticeable inclusions. I don't think I'd be happy with that one, I don't think it will appear eye clean. But, definitely talk to WF they will give you the best advice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OUCam said:
I've been looking at both of these diamonds and they both look like quality stones to me but the WF ACA diamond seems to have more noticeable inclusions on it. Even with these, is the $1200 premium over the 1.706 ct stone worth it for the ACA H&A? Will this make it shine that much more? The 1.705 scores a .8 on HCA and the 1.706 scores a 1.0. The only differences I see is that one is ACA H&A and one is not. Thoughts?

http://pics.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 192369.htm

http://pics.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 141789.htm

No.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The Expert Selection stone has a very thin girdle at least in one portion of the stone. I'd ask about how much of the girdle that effects. And possibly bezel that particular stone, or at least put it in a more protective type of setting.

OUCam

Rough_Rock
I will be putting the stone in a 6 prong solitaire setting. I didn't realize the girdle thickness made that much difference. Should I look for something that is slightly thick? medium to thick? and stay away from the thin girdles?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a mistake in the input on WF's page, the grading report only indicates a thin to medium, else the cut grade would at best be an AGS1.

OUCam

Rough_Rock
Oh OK, I see what you're saying. Does that mean the stone is OK for mounting in a 6 prong solitaire?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the ES in this case. It is a smoking good price for the specs in my opinion.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, thin girdle is fine.

cagey68

Rough_Rock
I live in Houston and saw both of these stones in person. They are both very nice, but I almost got the 1.706 because it looked as nice, missed ACA designation by only a couple of points, and had the trade up policy in place. Ended up buying elsewhere, got a nice cut, larger stone with no sales tax (I live in Houston).

Good luck, again they were both VERY nice stones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cagey68 said:
I live in Houston and saw both of these stones in person. They are both very nice, but I almost got the 1.706 because it looked as nice, missed ACA designation by only a couple of points, and had the trade up policy in place. Ended up buying elsewhere, got a nice cut, larger stone with no sales tax (I live in Houston).

Good luck, again they were both VERY nice stones.

and there it is, from the mouths of - near customers - ::)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ES is quite nice.

OUCam

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the help everyone. Cagey, what are the odds, thanks for the input, its very reassuring. I think the 1.706 is definitely a great deal, and even better with no sales tax.

OUCam

Rough_Rock
OK, my local jeweler has presented me with a 1.71 ct GIA, I, SI2 diamond that is Excellent cut. The price on this and the 1.706 ct WF stone are almost negligible but it's still an SI1 vs SI2. I have seen the SI2 in person and it is most definitely eye clean and a beautiful stone. I halfway reserved it but haven't paid anything down on it. I'm still going back and forth b/w the WF stone and the local one. Any advice? I know WF is reputable so I'm not worried about that but is there more to a B&M store that I should consider? What makes it worse is that the local jeweler is my gf's dad's college friend. Decisions, decisions.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the specs on the local stone? I know that my local jewelers couldn't come close to the stone I purchased at WF. Color and clarity grade is easy but to really compare the specs and more importantly the cut, they others couldn't compare. Perhaps you could have WF send you the stone so you could see yourself the difference if any.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OUCam said:
OK, my local jeweler has presented me with a 1.71 ct GIA, I, SI2 diamond that is Excellent cut. The price on this and the 1.706 ct WF stone are almost negligible but it's still an SI1 vs SI2. I have seen the SI2 in person and it is most definitely eye clean and a beautiful stone. I halfway reserved it but haven't paid anything down on it. I'm still going back and forth b/w the WF stone and the local one. Any advice? I know WF is reputable so I'm not worried about that but is there more to a B&M store that I should consider? What makes it worse is that the local jeweler is my gf's dad's college friend. Decisions, decisions.
no brainer...i'll take the SI1

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If I remember right, SI2 should be a significant discount from SI1- more of a difference than between other (higher) clarity grades. (At least I think I'm remembering that right!) So the WF diamond would be a way better deal IMO.

So, I'd go with the SI1 from WF. For sure. The thing about the jeweler being a family friend? I would totally stay away from that. We hear soooo many zillions of stories of "I bought such and such from a friend of the family" and they rarely are happy stories :sick: I think it's like tattooing your GF's name on your neck or something- guaranteed to curse you, lol. If something goes wrong, you end up making waves with a friend/acquaintance rather than just some business owner somewhere, y'know? Just not worth it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price difference between SI1 and SI2 is very large, at that ct weight it is thousands of dollars. So the local stone is not a deal. I would get the SI1, it is a no brainer indeed. AGS also carries a premium relative to GIA in this market.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto.

There's a big advantage in having a trusted local jeweller for new projects, checkups, minor work, etc., who you know sells quality goods at a reasonable price.

But whilst this may be a reasonable price, it's not of a comparable price, and the difference in these sizes is significant.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Stone's right - this was an input error, and it's been corrected on our website. The report is accurate in showing a thin-medium girdle.

OUCam

Rough_Rock
Well I guess me inquiring about it brought attention to it because it's reserved now. I am getting the local stone for less than the WF listed price so rest assured. I may not be getting the absolute best deal in the world but I think I have made an educated decsion and not gotten ripped off. If I had not found this site at all I would have done much much much worse. Also, if a jeweler has a lifetime trade up policy, SI1 vs SI2 shouldnt really matter in the long run anyway right? I will post pics of the ring once I get it. Thanks for the help everyone.

OUCam

Rough_Rock
OK I'm literally second guessing myself now. I can't stop looking at more diamonds on the internet. I found this stone on James Allen http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI ... 77&cid=131

It's $1800 less than the GIA stone in the store I have reserved and it's an SI1. Maybe I am getting ripped off? I can't decide if I am just being too picky or indecisive and now I am running out of time because I am proposing next weekend. Help!

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Why don't you see if your local jeweler can do better with his price and bring him the specs on this diamond as a bargaining tool. Maybe he will, maybe he won't but it will give you better insight as to how you will feel working with him in the future and if you really want to work with him at all.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUCam said:
OK I'm literally second guessing myself now. I can't stop looking at more diamonds on the internet. I found this stone on James Allen http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI ... 77&cid=131

It's $1800 less than the GIA stone in the store I have reserved and it's an SI1. Maybe I am getting ripped off? I can't decide if I am just being too picky or indecisive and now I am running out of time because I am proposing next weekend. Help!

That is a VERY inexpensive I SI1 of that size. It is a 2.1 on the HCA and a little deep and has a very thick girdle and thus facing up about .10mm smaller than a similar less deep diamond, but it is a smokin' deal if you see and Ideal Scope image and it looks good. request one if you are interested.

More generally, a 1.7ct I SI1 GIA costs about $11k and a 1.7ct I SI2 costs about $9k on James Allen. So the diamond you are being offered by your jeweler needs to be $2k less than similar SI1s you see for it to be a fair deal. You get what you pay for, so if you see a diamond that costs a lot less than others of its specs, then look for issues.

I like this one better, the price is very good value *for what it is* and notice how much bigger it faces up that the one you selected? It is just under the 1.7ct mark which is a great great deal since it costs less per carat under 1.7ct mark than above but the diamond looks larger. Symmetry is VG but that should not be noticable to your eye http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1301514.asp

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results