shape
carat
color
clarity

We''ve bought the SuperbCert 1.35 G, I1 diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
My husband will pick it up from the independent appraiser in Kansas City today. We looked at it Saturday. First of all, though, let me thank all of you here for your help and advice. I have learned a lot from you all in a couple of weeks and I''m thrilled with our purchase!

Now...about buying an I1 stone. I absolutely could not see the inclusion with my naked eye. I realize that there may come a time when I can pick it out and then I may feel it''s more noticable. But here is my thinking...No one else will ever notice it and it''s a "good" type of inclusion, meaning white, not dark. Also, I like the idea that there is just ONE eye visible inclusion. Some of the pictures I''ve seen of SI and I clarity stones looked too "busy." This inclusion may be smack dab center, but it''s the only one I''ll see! I asked the appraiser how easily she could see it and she said that if she saw that diamond on my hand, she''d notice the great cut and color. If she took it from me and looked at it, yes, she''d notice the inclusion, but...she''s in the business. It''s her job to notice eye visible inclusions!

Meeting with this appraiser was beneficial and a little bit nerve-wracking. She was totally objective which is what we wanted. She asked if we wanted to see the diamond first or hear her talk first and I said that I wanted to hear what she had to say first. By the time we looked at the diamond, I was so paranoid about trying to find the inclusion that it took me a few minutes to realize, "Wow, this is one pretty diamond!"

The thin girdle made me nervous. Barry assured me it will be fine. The appraiser commented that in her opinion, thin girdles should exclude a diamond from being considered an ideal cut, but that was just her opinion and according to current standards, this meets the "ideal" definition. I asked her if it would be safer to set it with 6 prongs instead of 4 in order to protect the stone. To my surprise, she said no. She said that 6 prongs increase the chances of you knocking a prong against something, thereby cracking or chipping the diamond. She said she always prefers 4 prongs and feels that 4 prongs are safer than 6. (Safer when it comes to not damaging the diamond, that is. I''m not sure if she felt like 6 prongs are any safer when it comes to not losing the diamond.)

About the florescence. She said that florescense is a plus in the lower colored stones, but this is a high color stone. (Of course I knew that from doing my homework here!) She said that the diamond was not milky and that is what is important. She also said that I need to know that the new lab grown diamonds do floresce so as those become more available in the future, my paperwork will prove that this diamond is natural. I told her that if anyone ever doubts whether or not it''s real, I''ll pull out a scope and show them the inclusion!

She commented that it''s very unusual to see such a great cut on an I1 stone. She said that ideal cut stones are no harder to cut than non-ideals, but most cutters want to maximize carat weight. I know that Barry said that it''s harder to cut an ideal stone, though, so I''m not sure what to believe about that. But I love the fact that we''re saving a ton of money by getting an I1 stone while it''s still a gorgeous cut and color and size.

The appraiser also suggested that I offer lower than the asking price. This made me a little nervous...like maybe it wasn''t worth the asking price. She said it was worth the asking price ($4630.50), but she felt like a lower price would still be fair. So I did this and Barry politely told me that they do not discount their diamonds. I was relieved to hear this. I HATE the idea of a price not being fixed and I''d much rather deal with someone who prices things fairly and that''s it. I do wish, though, that I''d read more feedback about Superbcert in advance, though, because I could have discovered that they don''t discount their stones. I sensed that Barry was offended that this appraiser suggested we offer him less than the asking price, although he probably was okay with it.

So, I get to see it again tonight...I can''t wait! I will decide on the setting in a the next few weeks or months. I didn''t want to ask Barry any more about that until after the holidays when his business settles down. Right now I''m thinking about putting it in a 3 stone ring with a round sapphire on either side. Kind of like Diane''s but mine isn''t a regent and I would go with white gold. I''ll gladly take input on that if you have ideas about settings and sapphires, etc. Thank you all again for you help!

Oh, and thank you Barry and Judah for your help, your kindness and your professionalism. But most of all, thank you for cutting this stone so beautifully even though it''s an I1! After comparing this diamond to the center diamond in my wedding ring, I don''t think I''ll be able to live with my wedding ring diamond much longer. So you will be hearing from me again.
1.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your purchase (I'm a new owner too..as you may have seen by my postings..
9.gif
)

I chose a 4 prong - even though I was considering a 6 prong. That is an intersting opinion on the 4 prong vs 6. I didn't have an issue with the girdle, however, the comment that the 6 prong (besides the stone falling out) could potentially (and I guess it's minute...) cause "more" damage from bumping it is interesting. I thought it'd be the other way around.

Everyone has thier opinions!

Anyhoo - just like you I got a stone with 1 big white inclusion (SI2) - but I can't see it AT ALL. I think the cut/color just overwhelms the stone so much that you're eye just ignores any flaws
9.gif

Congratulations! -- so how long do we have to wait to actually wear these things???? LOL - I'm too excited now!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering about you & if you purchased this stone. Great Choice! Interesting about the 6 vs 4 prongs. I love to hear different perspectives. I wonder if this is particular to stones with a thin girdle. The fluor in the stone should make a G face up whiter. You probably have a stone that looks completely colorless!

Enjoy & my heartfelt congratulations for your new sparkely & your ability to think outside that old box!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting story about the appraiser. Don't worry about offending Barry, he's easily offended.
2.gif

I don't know that I a) like the appraiser telling you to ask for a discount and b) telling you that the fluor isn't necessarily a good thing in a G color, esp since if I recall this is just medium and nowhere near strong/milky. But she sounds like she did her job and reassured you which is good. One thing I learned about appraisers is that sometimes they can be a little abrasive on the nerves of someone who just bought a diamond.
2.gif
Honesty and all but very forthright. Ours was the same way. But if they do their job, that's all that matters.

Also, on the I1 being cut ideal...she is right that most cutters will maximize weight over cut, gets them the more $$. But cutters don't always know what the clarity grade of the finished stone will be when they cut the stone. So if someone is looking for an IF stone, a cutter may choose the best possible rough that they can, but in the end the GIA may decide that the stone is a VVS1 instead of IF, therefore devaluing that stone due to the clarity grade. So your I1 may be the result of a very strict grading lab or grader, but if it had been sent to EGL --who knows, maybe it would have gotten an SI2.
2.gif

I am curious also as to what she appraised the stone at. If she asked you to discount it, then what did her appraisal amount look like?

Congratulations on a lovely diamond purchase. I think alot of us have eyeballed this stone on the SC website at a time or two with curiousity, so it's good to know it went to a good home!

1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Yes, Laney, I saw your post about the SI2. It sounds wonderful!

Fire&Ice, I found it easy to "think outside the box." Everybody knows that you don't get what you paid for a diamond if you try to re-sell it, so the whole idea of it being an "investment" is kind of silly. I want something that looks good for not a huge amount of money and I think that's what we got here.

Mara, she appraised it at exactly what we paid for it. It says "Total Approximate Replacement Value New Excluding Tax (internet market) $4630.50. She said to bring it back when we have it set and she'll do an updated appraisal. I'm a little nervous about it having appraised at exactly what we paid because if we lost it today, I doubt I'd find another one just like it at this price. But then again, that IS what we paid...so that IS the value, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a little odd in my opinion. What appraiser says you got what you paid for and makes the appraisal that EXACT amount? She should let you know what fair market value would be should you re-sell it and IMO something like what you have is worth WAY more than what you paid. Sure you don't want to pay completely over-inflated amounts for insurance, but the chances are slim that a great deal like this comes along every day....so I'd want that baby padded a little bit more in case of something happening. You can most likely ask her to give her fair assessment of retail value as opposed to 'internet value' (whatever that means)....I would estimate that this stone would be at least something like $6-7k in a B&M store!!! Esp with a cut like that. B&M store sell crappy cut I SI3 stones for ridiculous markups -- I think your stone is definitely worth more than what you paid.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mara. Maybe I'll e-mail her next week (she's going out of town) and ask her to give me a retail replacement value.

You know, last year when we looked at a stone from a jeweler we knew, we were seriously considering paying $7850 + tax for a 1.25, G color, VS2, "premium" cut diamond. I really wanted a better cut than that. I'm SO glad we didn't buy that one! But at that time, he also had a diamond there on consignment that was 1.23, H color and I1 clarity with a shallow cut for about $5250. My stone is much nicer than that one. A third one that he had in stock at the time was 1.04 H color, SI1 for $4914. (I dont' know about the cut on that, but I'm sure it wasn't ideal.) I don't want to ask this jeweler to appraise it, though, b/c I don't want him to know we bought from someone else.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Patty, does this "appraiser" also sell jewelery/diamonds? If so, they don't want to think you got a good deal elsewhere. Maybe I've off here; but from you relating your conversation, sound like that could be the case.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
mmmmmm - I second what F&I said. An appraiser should be a totally independent party - doesn't have a vested interest in persuading you OR in dissuading you.

I'm getting a funny feeling about this "appraiser".....no appraiser that I know of tells a customer to ask for a discount even though the price is already fair, and they certainly wouldn't appraise the diamond for the exact amount you paid for it. An appraisal is supposed to reflect what the market will bear. What happens if you incur a loss and the only place you can find a materially similar diamond is at a B&M store? Their prices are MUCH higher, and replacement value should reflect that.

As Mara said - you don't want your appraisal to be double the asking price - that's just overinsuring. But, the appraisal should accurately reflect what it would cost to replace your diamond with one of similar quality in the retail market.

If I were in this situation, I'd find another appraiser.

domer

Rough_Rock
So this was perhaps the only sticking point with my appraiser as well. I paid $13,305 for mine, and the GOG appraisal came in at $21K. Nancy Stacy, the appraiser in the Bay Area that I had look at my diamond, mentioned that was the only problem with the appraisal from GOG. While she agreed the diamond may have cost $21K in a B&M store, she didn't see the reason to insure it at that value since I purchased it in the internet market. Chances are, if the diamond were lost or damaged, either the insurance company would be tasked with finding at like diamond, which at their wholesale volume would probably cost them even less than $13,305, or I would be given the amount to go purchase a diamond on my own, which I would do again on the internet and not through a B&M store. Her appraisal came in at just under $16K, but I actually asked her to take the tax out of the appraisal, putting the value around $14,500, since, barring online legislation changes, I wouldn't be paying tax if I were to replace it with a like diamond online. My primary reason for doing so was my fiance lives in LA, and Jeweler's Mutual insurance rate was $2.00 per $100 in value for jewelry up to $15K, and $2.50 per $100 for jewelry valued between $15K and $30K. IMO, that's a HUGE difference in insurance premium for little value, seeing as both the $14,500 and the $21,000 valuation are both higher than would I paid anyway.

Am I missing something here?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Patty, congrats for getting a gorgeous diamond. It's truly beautiful!
1.gif
9.gif
And what a bargain! You have a $12K looking diamond at 1/3 of that price!
9.gif
9.gif

That said, your appraisal seems a little conservative to me. I don't like inflated ones, but yours is a bit on the strict side. I doubt you could find many H&A of similar quality at that price point. I would call her and discuss about the value... Also, it's not fair at all that she suggested about asking a discount!
confused.gif

Happy Holidays and enjoy your diamond!
1.gif
wavey.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Al, she is a totally independent appraiser. No, she doesn't sell diamonds or jewelry. Her wording on the appraisal is "asking price is within the norms of market. Perhaps try to negotiate a price between $4225 and $4500." After we left, I said to my husband that it was odd that she suggested $4225, not $4200. Makes me think she used some formula or something. Then of course, I had to figure out what to offer. I was thinking it would be nice to pay an even amount, like $4400 or $4500, but I didn't know if I should start with that or start lower in case Barry counter offered. I changed the amount on my e-mail to him about a hundred times and finally asked if he'd take $4300. Like I said, I was relieved to learn that he doesn't discount. It took the anxiety away about how much I "should" pay.

I felt that she was totally professional the whole time and she seemed objective. I just want to make sure that I get it insured so that I can replace it in case of a loss or damage. And since I1s cut this well are rare, I'm not sure I'd be able to find another one at that price. Like I said, I'll contact her next week to see if she'll give me a retail value.

Giangi, thanks! You have a good holiday too!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Maybe that's her policy/way she does business. I would ask her to round it off to an amount you feel comfortable with.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Patty, congratulations!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes actually we used Nancy Stacy too and she is very much into realistic #'s which we appreciated. No one wants to pay insurance on something ridiculous, but you need to be sure if you are going to pay for insurance that the amount covers a replacement. The $4400 you paid would not cover that same stone elsewhere. I would definitely ask her for a more realistic retail amount, not overinflated but not 'internet' either.

Good luck!
1.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
About pricing, I'd be curious how that stone is priced relative to Rap compared with "average" discount to Rap for other stones in Barry's inventory. Something tells me that one may be discounted less, and your appraiser's comments may reflect that. It's still a lot of stone and probably a very nice look for the money.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Patty! Glad you are happy with the diamond! I would consider the inclusion your diamond's birthmark. You'll always know if you get your diamond back when you leave it to have work done in the future!
2.gif

Hope your nerves weren't so frazzled that you didn't get to enjoy the trip to KC. And shop til you dropped on the Plaza!
3.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
pq...Unfortunately we didn't get to go to The Plaza. My husband's work schedule was crazy last week and we ended up changing our appointment to Saturday and we didn't arrive in KC until Friday night about midnight. Then we drove back to STL Saturday and he turned around and went back to KC Sunday! He actually asked me to call him today to remind him to pick up the diamond, lol.

Mara, we paid the full $4630.50, but I know what you mean.

So...It's here! And wow, it's beautiful! We put it on a red towel on the kitchen table and you can see it sparkling across the room. My husband is scared to death that I'm going to drop it or lose it, so I'll have to be careful to only get it out to play with it when he's not here! Also, from Barry's website I saw that he includes a tweezers and loupe and idealscope (?) with purchases but we don't have those yet. I'll have to check with him about those as well as the hearts and arrow pictures which were not sent to KC. But..I already can see the arrows. Whoo Hoo!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
So, Barry called me. He's my new best friend.
2.gif
He said that they ran out of their diamond kits and they will overnight it to me when they get more in stock. We also talked about the insurance issue and the price of the diamond, etc. I'm SO impressed with his level of service!

And, just for fun, I ran a Pricescope search on stones my size, color and with H&A's but in the VS2 clarity. I figure that is the clarity that would guarantee I'd see no inclusions. The prices range from $8171 to $8325. So, every time I can pick out and see my inclusion, I'll just think about the $4000 that little baby saved me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results