shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T - I can’t believe I just found this thread and your journey is coming to an end. The home is stunning! I love historic homes and would really love to restore one someday. I’ve enjoyed going back through the posts to read and see all you’ve done. We finished building a new home at the shore last year and it took almost 2-1/2 years, but I enjoyed every minute of it. You have done so much in a short time, and on an historic property to boot.

Congratulations on a job well done. Can’t wait to see the finished photos!

Thank you, that’s really kind of you to say! Yes, it’s been a journey, I can tell you. And not always a happy one :lol-2:

But wow to building your home completely from scratch! Our builders have grumbled a lot about how much easier it is to have a blank slate as opposed to weeding around old structures & bits & bobs (& a well) that need restoring & saving & rebuilding. I wouldn’t swap the Vicarage for all the tea in China (& i love tea!) but there is definitely something super appealing about starting with an empty plot. You should start a thread with lots of pictures!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
EEEK. Just saw a little update on another thread. SO excited for you and the fam!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEEK. Just saw a little update on another thread. SO excited for you and the fam!!!

I know, right?!!

ACTUALLY MOVING IN ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are still some bits to finish to the balcony up in the attic & the outside patios, outdoor kitchen, gardens & driveway are 2 weeks into a 7 week schedule, but we can live with that. The main house is ready to go & fully decorated. It feels unreal!

We are still waiting on some bits of furniture to be delivered, but there is basically a deep cleaning company in there for the next 2 days & then we are good to go. Eek!!!

I shall post some before & after pictures when we have our furniture etc.

In the meantime, I shall leave you with a sneak peek of the Winter Lounge, complete with authentic Art Deco Cinema wall lights, which are each 60cm long :kiss2:

PXL_20230517_145656017.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I know, right?!!

There are still some bits to finish to the balcony up in the attic & the outside patios, outdoor kitchen, gardens & driveway are 2 weeks into a 7 week schedule, but we can live with that. The main house is ready to go & fully decorated. It feels unreal!

We are still waiting on some bits of furniture to be delivered, but there is basically a deep cleaning company in there for the next 2 days & then we are good to go. Eek!!!

In the meantime, I shall leave you with a sneak peek of the Winter Lounge, complete with authentic Art Deco Cinema wall lights, which are each 60cm long :kiss2:

Looks incredible! What a dream-can’t wait to see more pics!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited for you to be moving in! Such a HUGE transformation from the first pics posted until now. I hope you and your family will be very happy there for many years to come. Can’t wait for more pics!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I know, right?!!

I hope you know we're all going to be with you in spirit on Saturday! SO EXCITING!!!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
This is so exciting to live in the culmination of all the hard work!! Can’t wait for you and the fam to settle into you fabulous new/ old place. I have enjoyed your journey so very much. Thank you for sharing your sunshine.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I reeeeeealy want to see those photos and videos! Congratulations and best of luck in your new home.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy…this is so exciting! Hope that your move goes well and I can’t wait to see more pictures. Thanks for taking us along on this journey!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the move!

DK :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are all The Best. But I think you already know that, right?

Thank you SO much for sticking with me & checking my sanity!

I am so, so proud of everything we have achieved this on this house. She is a stunner & the architect & designers have been amazing, but mostly the actual building team, who are the true hero’s here. Everybody involved fell in love with her immediately & wanted to do everything possible to preserve her whilst making her fit for a modern day family. The builders (including plumbers, electricians, drain diggers & plasterers) have executed everything in perfect detail, from the preservation of the Edwardian Duck Egg coving throughout the ground floor, to the ripping out of fireplaces & chimneys in bedrooms & then the HAND CASTING of new coving to match seamlessly over those new areas of plaster.

They have added every single wooden panel throughout the hallways, stairs & landings by hand & built the oak trusses for the kitchen with dowels, just as they would have been made when the house was built. My father, bless his soul, was a very clever engineer & he would have been mesmerised by the standard of work they have done & the care they have taken along the way.

I am in awe of their skill & artistry.

But yeah, there was absolutely ZERO need for me to hunt down authentic Art Deco Cinema wall lights in Germany, have them shipped over without breaking a single crystal rod, then have their guts modified for a modern electrical system…. :lol-2:

This house to me has always been Go Big Or Go Home. We were either going all in to save her, or not at all.

I’m proud of Team T for sticking with me & allowing me to take this on. We all loved her from the moment we walked through the gates & we are extremely honoured to be finally making her our forever home. And we know how lucky we are in these difficult times to be finally living our dream.

More pictures to follow over the coming couple of weeks!

Last edited:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I know, right?!!

Gorgeous!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

YIPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Masters of craftsmanship. Such pride. Unreal. Simply unreal.

Can't wait for more!

cheers--Sharon

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T, I hope you know we ALL fell in love with this beautiful home from the very start of your journey. So many wonderful memories are going to be made with your family and friends here. I’m so happy for you and your family.

@WhoaNelly said it perfectly…. Thank you for sharing your sunshine with all of us here.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing all these updates! It's a remarkable home! Best of luck with the move!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I love that you have taken the best of the past and made it last for decades more. The house reflects its past and your present - the best of both worlds. Now for the joy of living there! Heartiest congratulations!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! This is fantastic. So beautiful!!! What an amazing adventure! Can't wait to see pictures.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait! I bet your neighbors are curious too! Are there any living members or past workers of the vicory around? Sometimes it is fun to show them and they may have some cool memories to share.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck for the move! How exciting to be finally moving into your amazing home.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been following this thread with so much enjoyment. You’re doing a wonderful job!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results