shape
carat
color
clarity

west point sweetheart''s ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
anyone ever hear of this? I *think* it might be from the 1920''s from Tiffany but I could be totally off on that.... anyone hear of it or have a pic of it?

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. What does it look like? My maternal grandfather went to West Point, and my grandmother''s engagement ring is a replica of his class ring--and it''s from Tiffany. He graduated, I think, in 1926.

So maybe it was a fad back then.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 6:32:09 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
Hmm. What does it look like? My maternal grandfather went to West Point, and my grandmother''s engagement ring is a replica of his class ring--and it''s from Tiffany. He graduated, I think, in 1926.

So maybe it was a fad back then.
I have no idea what it looks like - all I know is what is in the subject heading.... I got the tiffany and 1921 info from a google search but I don''t know if they''re the same thing... Someone told me they had a ring and called it this and I''m curious as heck to know what it looks like!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
My mother still has the ring. It basically looks like a ladies class ring, i.e., smaller and narrower. The center stone is a marquise-cut diamond, surrounded by blue sapphire chips. According to my mother, her father had it made at Tiffany in NYC, and it indeed has the "Tiffany & Co." hallmark inside the band.

It''s a pretty ring, though I have no idea if it''s what you''re thinking of.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
if you google this it will take you to a culver.org site that mentions the sweetheart ring and it origins.
1.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i jumped the gun. this ring was not made by tiffany. sorry. back to search some more.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 8:19:17 PM
Author: crown1
i jumped the gun. this ring was not made by tiffany. sorry. back to search some more.
it might not be a tif ring though - I''ll see if I can get more info on it!!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
tiffany was the vendor for west point class rings the following years: 1925,1926,1928-1930,1933,1934,1938,1939. the molds are no longer available for copies. miniatures were made: 1920,1928,1935,1936,1938. i assume the miniature is the sweetheart.

i found evidence that it was custom for a senior to take a napkin ring and have it made into a bracelet for his sweetheart. you can buy these now at the school gift shop.

unfortunately, no pictures were available for the rings. there is, however, a project collecting a sample of each year for display. now if someone finds pictures of the display rings we have it made.
1.gif

i love this find of information. thanks for bringing the topic up.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 9:08:53 PM
tiffany was the vendor for west point class rings the following years: 1925,1926,1928-1930,1933,1934,1938,1939. the molds are no longer available for copies. miniatures were made: 1920,1928,1935,1936,1938. i assume the miniature is the sweetheart.

i found evidence that it was custom for a senior to take a napkin ring and have it made into a bracelet for his sweetheart. you can buy these now at the school gift shop.

unfortunately, no pictures were available for the rings. there is, however, a project collecting a sample of each year for display. now if someone finds pictures of the display rings we have it made.
1.gif

i love this find of information. thanks for bringing the topic up.
thank you for this! I got more out of her - barely anything but.... here''s what she said about it:

It''s a classic round-cut diamond in a sort of basket setting.

did not confirm not deny the tiffany connection - just said it was an estate piece.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
if it is not to bold, are you interested in purchasing this piece? if you do please post pics. thanks!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 9:19:41 AM
if it is not to bold, are you interested in purchasing this piece? if you do please post pics. thanks!
nooo.....I wish I had pics, I''d post them for sure! This is someones engagement ring, I''ve not seen it but am intensely curious about it!!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i hope it is acceptable to give this address here. if not, i apology and understand if it is removed.

west-point.org/parent/wpp-net/faq/05.html will get you a site explaining the class ring and how it can look and miniatures for sweethearts and mothers.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
google digital collections of the united states military academy at west point. go to alphabetical lists and select class rings. this shows pictures of class rings thru the years

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2007 2:37:25 PM
i hope it is acceptable to give this address here. if not, i apology and understand if it is removed.

west-point.org/parent/wpp-net/faq/05.html will get you a site explaining the class ring and how it can look and miniatures for sweethearts and mothers.

AMiniatur.jpg

Thanks for the link! The ring on the left is just like my grandmothers. And this:

Miniatures are reproductions of class rings made smaller to wear as engagement rings. They symbolize the same ideals, customs, and traditions as class rings and are given not in a sense of parting with the ring, no more than a man would part with his class ring, but, rather, as an engagement ring for one who will share in army life the ideals, traditions and customs that the class ring symbolizes. Miniatures are normally given by First Classmen to their fiancees at the annual Ring Hop (dance).

Sounds about right, from what my mother has told me. Cool!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i really had no knowledge about these miniatures being made for sweethearts until i began to research this. i read about the different customs at west point and the naval academy. it was interesting and some new trivia to keep in my head.

it is wonderful that your family has this history. thanks for contributing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results