shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to my first jewelry store yesterday...not what I expected

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NJGuy

Rough_Rock
After doing research on this site and looking over some diamonds online, I finally went to look at diamonds in person at a store yesterday.

It wasn''t what I expected. I told the man I was looking for something around 1 carat, with an SI-1 clarity. They only had 1 loose diamond in the 1 carat range and it was an SI-1 clarity but the color rating was a J. They were asking $5799 for it. I found diamonds of that quality were going for $3500 or less on the internet.

Is the selection usually that small at most jewelry stores? This was a stand alone store is a fairly well to do area of Southern New Jersey. Anyone have any experience with Jeweler''s Row in Philadelphia? Thanks.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Not in NJ. I live in Kansas City. Belly Button of America (LOL), but a major metropolitan area none the less.

Your experience was not unusual. Typically, jewelers will have diamonds brought in on approval for specific customers. Generally, they don't keep a sizeable inventory of loose diamonds on hand. The diamond you saw may have been one left after another customer made their selection. Might also have been one the jeweler picked up on trade or at a really really good price.

You will have better luck checking out local diamond brokers. The 2 I visited here while doing my shopping had 6 to 8 diamonds on hand that would meet "general" size (around a carat, for example) requirements to give shoppers a variety of colors/clarity to compare. If the customer had a preference for a specific color/clarity, the brokers would be glad arrange to have 3 to 6 diamonds of a specific weight available for viewing within a day or 2.
1.gif

mag308

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at local stores as well. Since I want in asscher cut, most jewelers do not have these in stock. I have found, however, that they are willing to talk with their brokers and have the diamonds sent for me to see. In fact, we scheduled a Sat. to go around to local jewelry stores and view the stones they brought in. I agree that the price differences from the internet are amazing, but most are willing to bargain a little.

In response to the last reply, How do you find local diamond brokers???

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I found the local Diamond Brokers in the Yellow Pages of the phone book. I looked in Jewelers/Jewelry. Several had seperate ads that indicated they were Diamond Brokers. I called the ones closest to where I live and chatted with them to be sure they would really have more than 1 or 2 diamonds on hand for viewing. Both shops I visited were locked door/buzz you in/by appointment type shops with cameras and the whole 9 yards. If I hadn't called first, the security at both shops woulda been a big clue!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results