shape
carat
color
clarity

went on my first dress expedition

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
During lunch I was talking to FI about not going to the place in Philly and I looked up Alfred Angelo thinking that Cumberland, MD was the closest but he said "Lancaster is closer!" and he was right... only 78 miles away. So he pulled me out the door and we went. He dropped me off at the store because I didn't want him to see the dresses and I braved it alone.

It's REALLY hard to go by yourself. Not for emotional reasons or decision making, but for the sheer logistics of it. Fastening that long-line strapless bra? NOT easy by yourself!!! And zipping up? I had to wait for help from the overworked attendants. But I managed.

I found two that I really liked but I don't think I'm quite done yet. It was nice to at least have some options so I can stop now if I want to.

I didn't think I'd like this but it's my current #1 in white/mocha #1231
f2eaf733-851b-4685-ab50-aeeb865894ff.enlargedNormal.jpg

I liked this one and would go with "Riveria Sky" as the band of color (almost periwinkle blue) #1612
6ce28ccc-04df-47e2-a314-bccf57d3cedf.enlargedNormal.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I did almost all of my dress shopping alone, but it was before I got my job, so it was during the day and most stores weren''t busy. So, even though I thought it was hard for different reasons, I definitely feel your pain.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it would be great to take a weekday off to do it but I''m hoarding my vacation days for the honeymoon. My MOH lives in Boston and she said she''d love to come down and see me in dresses but I don''t want her to bother until I''ve at least picked a few for her to see. The rest of my crew are closer but there''s a reason I picked her to be my MOH!
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
your number one is gorgeous-its a beautiful dress!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Cool! I''m so glad you had a good experience! After all my struggles, I just love hearing other brides who are having good dress shopping experiences! I like your top ones so far! Where else are you thinking of going?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of the obligatory David''s trip, but I really want to try on a couple of Maggies and I don''t know if they have sample sizes I could actually put on. There are a couple of silhouettes at David''s that are similar to the one I like (Rosemary Leigh) so maybe that would help.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I love #2! It''s one of the dresses I really want to try on...

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i love #1, but I''m partial to a little lace for romance!

i did all my shopping alone...usually after work, or during a long lunch. the attendants helped me a lot. Sounds likeyou had a great start!! If you can''t stop thinking about one of the dresses, that''s usually the first sign..

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Anchor - The dress was great! You should totally go try it on! It actually got taken out of my dressing room almost immediately because somebody that saw me in it wanted to try it.

I am still thinking about both today. I think they represent totally different moods... the playful colorful side of me vs. the more romantic, bridal side of me. The lace one made the other ladies ooh and ahh, whereas the colorful one was more of a "cool!"

Can you see the pro and con list building in my mind?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey sum! Both of those dresses are beautiful! I would personally go with the "ooh and ah" dress rather than the "cool!" dress because when I look at my wedding photos in 50 years, I think it would be nice to have a timeless look. A dress that says "cool" now, may not say "cool" later.

Good luck with the rest of the dress shopping. It sounds like you got off to a great start!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 1:16:59 PM
Author: CrownJewel
I would personally go with the ''ooh and ah'' dress rather than the ''cool!'' dress because when I look at my wedding photos in 50 years, I think it would be nice to have a timeless look. A dress that says ''cool'' now, may not say ''cool'' later.

Very good point! I think that''s the direction I''m leaning at this point! I can add my blue with a little brooch to hold the shawl around my arms, and in the flowers.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Well, just to be contrary
11.gif
I''m putting in a vote for the second one. They are both beautiful, and very classic in style and profile, but the color on the second one gives it a little extra something to make it personal. I don''t think the color accent will look dated, especially if you go with the blue. I think it would look great with your hair and eyes.

I tried on dresses at Alfred Angelo too, and liked the experience and the selection. You can''t go wrong with either one, really.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, they''re both very pretty! But I agree with Selkie, I love the colored band at the top of #2.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... good points Selkie and Ebree... just to make it harder, here''s the back of #2.

6ce28ccc-04df-47e2-a314-bccf57d3cedf.enlargedBackDetail.jpg

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
They''re both absolutely gorgeous, however, I prefer #1 - I love the lace!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I totally see you in #1......I think it would complement you well. Would show off YOU instead of drawing attention to the color in the dress.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both dresses, and I think having a periwinkle accesnt for #2 would be lovely, but honestly #1 appeals to me more. It just seems more elegant and I do agree with the idea of looking at your pictures in fifty years and still loving the dress you got married in.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Ah, more votes for #1!

aljdewey - I think I agree on the color thing... I just looked at the pictures (not going to post them, sorry!) of me in both and I think the color is kind of distracting. I thought the blue would go with my skin better than white, but the white/cafe is more of an ivory and it looks warmer on my skin than I thought it would.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for #1 as well! But I am a sucker for lace these days!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results