shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, I’ve had the vaccine, anyone else?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally have both Paracetamol and Ibuprofen at home, the latter more for muscular skeletal pain when I have pulled a muscle etc., and the former to reduce aches and pains associated with a cold or flu.

Last year I was given some high dose Codeine 30mg tablets (an opiate) as part of post-op medication along with some Paracetamols for a surgical procedure in case I needed them (I didn't need any pain relief afterwards). They will knock me out for certain as I am not used to anything stronger than Paracetamol and Ibuprofen!

Good to have them to hand though, just in case I need them, like when my shoulders or knees are playing up, just at night so that I could have a good night's sleep! So far Paracetamols have helped.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tylenol is a brand of acetaminophen. Just realized it looks to have the same root as "paracetamol" ("acetam"). Sorry for being nerdy lol.

I thought everyone called it Panadol (the leading brand here) i couldn't understand why an American freind didnt know what it was
I mean everyone has disprin so i just assumed everyone had Panadol
Its a funny old world !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I normally have both Paracetamol and Ibuprofen at home, the latter more for muscular skeletal pain when I have pulled a muscle etc., and the former to reduce aches and pains associated with a cold or flu.

Last year I was given some high dose Codeine 30mg tablets (an opiate) as part of post-op medication along with some Paracetamols for a surgical procedure in case I needed them (I didn't need any pain relief afterwards). They will knock me out for certain as I am not used to anything stronger than Paracetamol and Ibuprofen!

Good to have them to hand though, just in case I need them, like when my shoulders or knees are playing up, just at night so that I could have a good night's sleep! So far Paracetamols have helped.

That's called Panidene ! :mrgreen2:
Not available without a prescription now days

Ive always found codeine up er ....binds me up :doh:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's called Panidene ! :mrgreen2:
Not available without a prescription now days

Ive always found codeine up er ....binds me up :doh:

Years ago when I first qualified in the late 80s, one could get the cough mixture over the counter at pharmacies, very effective against dry and tickly coughs. However, it was abused and peeps would drink it by the bottle to get high. So it was banned from being sold OTC, and only available on prescription nowadays.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Years ago when I first qualified in the late 80s, one could get the cough mixture over the counter at pharmacies, very effective against dry and tickly coughs. However, it was abused and peeps would drink it by the bottle to get high. So it was banned from being sold OTC, and only available on prescription nowadays.

I miss the really good night and day flu tablets but they had that stuff they use to make P (meth) with

What ever they use nowdays just dries me out

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read the news that UK's Covid deaths reached 100k+ today!

And the nearest large hospital with an A&E has been declared as a critical incident as it is struggling to cope, with ambulances queuing to offload their patients due to difficulties in finding suitable high-dependency beds!

It is very worrying!

DK :eek2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

And the nearest large hospital with an A&E has been declared as a critical incident as it is struggling to cope, with ambulances queuing to offload their patients due to difficulties in finding suitable high-dependency beds!

It is very worrying!

:(2

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
This is a great thread. @m-cubed - a family member (frontline health worker with heavy comorbid Covid risk factors) has a history of two separate episodes of anaphylaxis, both more than ten years ago, to an unknown trigger - do you have any thoughts on whether the Pfizer would be alright?

I also wondered about your and others' thoughts on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. My family member has the option of this vaccine instead. But we had some concerns about the study methodologies and vaccine efficacy, esp compared to the Pfizer and Moderna. I don't know however whether these concerns are warranted. (We are in the U.K.).

What triggered the anaphylaxis, fenestrate? If the anaphylaxis was to any component that is contained in the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna) your family member should not get the vaccine. If it was to any other vaccine or injectible, caution is advised. If it was to something random (oral medications, food, environmental, etc), there doesn’t appear to be huge risk. Look at the colored chart at the bottom of this page: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html#Contraindications

I do think the Oxford/AZ study was very sloppy and the data is a bit of a mess. It works, but efficacy is clearly lower than for the mRNA vaccines. But we are in a public health crisis with limited vaccine availability, so my recommendation is to get whatever vaccine you can as soon as you can, as long as the specific vaccine is not contraindicated for you. If you had free choice and could access an mRNA or Oxford/AZ vaccine equally easily, I would go for mRNA, but that’s not likely to be a choice for most people.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
This is a great thread. @m-cubed - a family member (frontline health worker with heavy comorbid Covid risk factors) has a history of two separate episodes of anaphylaxis, both more than ten years ago, to an unknown trigger - do you have any thoughts on whether the Pfizer would be alright?

I also wondered about your and others' thoughts on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. My family member has the option of this vaccine instead. But we had some concerns about the study methodologies and vaccine efficacy, esp compared to the Pfizer and Moderna. I don't know however whether these concerns are warranted. (We are in the U.K.).

Sorry, my reading comprehension is low today. You say unknown trigger, so I think your relative falls into the group for which the vaccine is likely to be okay to proceed with.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My two cents. If you can get the Pfizer or Moderna get that over the Oxford/AstraZeneca which so far seems less effective at 50% IIRC.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
Sorry, my reading comprehension is low today. You say unknown trigger, so I think your relative falls into the group for which the vaccine is likely to be okay to proceed with.

Thank you so much, and for all your other contributions on this thread too.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. In my county, they prioritized 65 and over and delayed other groups—in effect bumping teachers. So my RETIRED in-laws got their vaccine. Meanwhile— teachers who went back to the classroom— such as my niece who has asthma but is only 24–have been bumped! Not logical. Retirees can stay home. Sorry for the rant but I find it very unfair.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. In my county, they prioritized 65 and over and delayed other groups—in effect bumping teachers. So my RETIRED in-laws got their vaccine. Meanwhile— teachers who went back to the classroom— such as my niece who has asthma but is only 24–have been bumped! Not logical. Retirees can stay home. Sorry for the rant but I find it very unfair.
I'd agree that teachers should go in front of the line.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my first Moderna dose tonight! I've heard a lot of places around the city are running out and appointments are being cancelled last minute. I'm considering myself VERY lucky right now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad is scheduled to have his first on the 20th. He's 80, in poor health. My mother is 78 and deemed too young...until suddenly this week her age group (70 plus) opened up literally overnight.
They are both waiting on word from his medical team whether he should get it.
I hope she gets it, not sure if she will yet. She says: "there isn't much interest here and that's why the groups shifted so quickly." WTF?!
I said, "great, that means I can get the vaccine sooner!"

I'm 43 now. I want this vax. When people like my parents are unsure or their peer group is unwilling or opting out, I'm not sure what to do. Who to encourage, etc.

Last edited:

Snow White

Rough_Rock

It is very worrying!

DK, I am so sorry for you and all my English friends.
It is definitely a tough time.
Take care of yourself
SW

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree that teachers should go in front of the line.

DF: would you get the vaccine if you were my dad (you're the same age, I think)? He's around his grandkid and my bro/SIL and my mom all the time and he goes to a big box store to walk around for exercise every single day without a mask bc he's on oxygen most of the time. We're waiting on advice from his doc but he's scheduled for the vax on 1/20/21

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF: would you get the vaccine if you were my dad (you're the same age, I think)? He's around his grandkid and my bro/SIL and my mom all the time and he goes to a big box store to walk around for exercise every single day without a mask bc he's on oxygen most of the time. We're waiting on advice from his doc but he's scheduled for the vax on 1/20/21
Nahhh... I'm not old :Up_to_something:. I'm 62. Wife and I been babysitting our grandkids everyday and GTG with my wife's side of the families every Sunday for dinner. I also go out everyday to have coffee with my friends wearing mask and social distancing, so I'm the wrong guy to ask for advise. I'm just not as freak out as most people about this virus. My life will go on with or without this virus. Your dad should ask his Dr. for advise. I'll decide when is my turn for the vaccine. I never took a flu shot in my life.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My 76 years young Dad had his first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday afternoon and had no side effect. He is in very good health overall. He worked all day yesterday (he still works full time!) and was completely fine. The only thing he mentioned was that he could feel heat running up his arm within the half hour after getting his shot.
My Mom and her husband both had their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. They are 75 and 72, and have health issues. They are doing well 24 hours later, other than my Mom having a very sore arm last night. I‘m hoping everything goes well with their second doses.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad is scheduled to have his first on the 20th. He's 80, in poor health. My mother is 78 and deemed too young...until suddenly this week her age group (70 plus) opened up literally overnight.
They are both waiting on word from his medical team whether he should get it.
I hope she gets it, not sure if she will yet. She says: "there isn't much interest here and that's why the groups shifted so quickly." WTF?!
I said, "great, that means I can get the vaccine sooner!"

I'm 43 now. I want this vax. When people like my parents are unsure or their peer group is unwilling or opting out, I'm not sure what to do. Who to encourage, etc.

Do all you can so they get the vacine
The family doctors need to be having a hard talk with these oldies
do they remember the polio epidemic ? I know the disease is different but the vacine was a God send

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nahhh... I'm not old :Up_to_something:. I'm 62. Wife and I been babysitting our grandkids everyday and GTG with my wife's side of the families every Sunday for dinner. I also go out everyday to have coffee with my friends wearing mask and social distancing, so I'm the wrong guy to ask for advise. I'm just not as freak out as most people about this virus. My life will go on with or without this virus. Your dad should ask his Dr. for advise. I'll decide when is my turn for the vaccine. I never took a flu shot in my life.

Stay safe DF

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL who is in her mid nineties had the Oxford vaccine today. She is a very practical lady and had no concerns about having it. She is worried, though, that younger people ie my age 60’s husband are still at risk yet having to run around keeping the oldies safe, doing shopping and so on. It’s all a bit topsy turvy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, I never thought I would be able to say these words.
You and my DH have something in common.

You are the same age. 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results