shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, I’ve had the vaccine, anyone else?

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Silver lining: I think shaking hands is officially over. Thanks goodness. I always felt it was awkward! Also since social distancing guidelines, I have had many fewer experiences of men trying to chat me up when I’m just out and about. I’m hoping continued mask wearing will still deter that even after covid is largely controlled here.

Totally off topic but I agree about the handshake. But whats even better, I work for a French company so there is always this super awkward kiss on cheeks thing I can't for the life of me figure out, and I'm secretly excited to not have to deal with it. :cool2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just had the Pfizer vaccine a few days ago. Had a fever (39 degrees Celsius) and severe headache which is getting better, but it took me by surprise. I would still choose to have it every time.

Hope your feeling better soon
thank you for battling through for the good of all mankind
most of us really appreciate your effort =)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally off topic but I agree about the handshake. But whats even better, I work for a French company so there is always this super awkward kiss on cheeks thing I can't for the life of me figure out, and I'm secretly excited to not have to deal with it. :cool2:

I can totally relate!!! I'm so relieved of no more bisou bisou... especially because I have kids who were raised in northern Europe (ample personal space culture) and French relatives constantly pressuring them into the awkward kiss thing ...

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a fear mongering rumor. The rumor goes that antibodies which your body develops to the viral spIke protein produced from the mRNA vaccine will also cross-react with a protein involved in placental development. It has been debunked by scientists. And let me say that if this mechanism was actually true (which to be clear it’s not), the risk to fertility would potentially be similar between getting vaccinated and getting COVID-19 because you would be expected to develop antibodies to spIke protein in both cases. And that’s not what the data in pregnant women who become infected with COVID shows (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33211113/).

There is not much data on use of this vaccine in pregnant women. Some women did become pregnant during the studies for Pfizer‘s and Moderna’s vaccines, but it was a handful, and the study was set up to exclude women who were already pregnant, which is typical for clinical studies of this type. There are ongoing development and reproductive toxicology studies wrapping up in rats right now. If there had been a significant adverse outcome in those studies, we would have known by now. The DART studies will inform potential use in pregnant and lactating women.

Thank you for this @m-cubed. One of my drs actually mentioned her reservation about the vaccine because of this which I thought to be odd (and I am way past having kids). I likened it to as you said " not having much data on use of this vaccine in pregnant women" and your explanation is very helpful.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can totally relate!!! I'm so relieved of no more bisou bisou... especially because I have kids who were raised in northern Europe (ample personal space culture) and French relatives constantly pressuring them into the awkward kiss thing ...

I like the sound of this amble personal space culture !

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was so happy to be among the first to get the vaccine, now our NHS has decided to delay the second dose! WTH?? The powers that be seem to have good rationalisations for the decision but it leaves all of us only partly protected. Won’t be getting the next dose until Feb o_O

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I was so happy to be among the first to get the vaccine, now our NHS has decided to delay the second dose! WTH?? The powers that be seem to have good rationalisations for the decision but it leaves all of us only partly protected. Won’t be getting the next dose until Feb o_O

MIL is in the same boat, she isn't too happy either. I understand why they did it but for the relatively small number of people who had already been vaccinated (as compared to the population as a whole) I think it would be better giving those people their second dose as planned and any one not yet vaccinated would fall into the 'twelve week' camp. (MIL is frontline NHS worker.)

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock

I read about this and I think it’s a terrible idea. I understand the rationale is to get as many people some coverage as soon as possible. But the problem is, there is no data that I am aware of on a dosing schedule for the Pfizer vaccine other than dose 2 at 3 weeks after dose 1. Does an increased time to dose 2 provide the same coverage? Who knows. Your authorities are essentially enrolling the population in a big experiment. I think it’s terrible, honestly.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read about this and I think it’s a terrible idea. I understand the rationale is to get as many people some coverage as soon as possible. But the problem is, there is no data that I am aware of on a dosing schedule for the Pfizer vaccine other than dose 2 at 3 weeks after dose 1. Does an increased time to dose 2 provide the same coverage? Who knows. Your authorities are essentially enrolling the population in a big experiment. I think it’s terrible, honestly.

No, I don’t think there is any evidence. Pfizer have certainly distanced themselves from this approach. The U.K. has now approved the Moderna vaccine and they plan to do the same with it. I just hope there’s enough of the vaccine left to give us all the second dose, I’m quite concerned.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my second dose today. Glad my several days stretch ends tomorrow. I will take some aleve tomorrow morning.

If you can manage without the Aleve, it’s ideal not to take it. Hypothetically since it’s an anti-inflammatory, and we sort of want the inflammatory response... I say hypothetically because it’s likely a dose or two won’t have a meaningful dampening on the immune response to the vaccine.
But I’ve heard it from a few different other docs I know so I’m trying to avoid nsaids and just coping with side effects cause why not.

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
If you can manage without the Aleve, it’s ideal not to take it. Hypothetically since it’s an anti-inflammatory, and we sort of want the inflammatory response... I say hypothetically because it’s likely a dose or two won’t have a meaningful dampening on the immune response to the vaccine.
But I’ve heard it from a few different other docs I know so I’m trying to avoid nsaids and just coping with side effects cause why not.

I do recommend them for pain related to vaccines in children and adult. I have to look into this to see if there are any contraindications.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do recommend them for pain related to vaccines in children and adult. I have to look into this to see if there are any contraindications.

Haha, it’s totally hypothetical. I can’t imagine any contraindications since there aren’t studies. It’s just one of those things where I figure if I don’t neeeeed to take the nsaid, I’ll just muscle through. To each their own though. I don’t feel strongly about it, just sharing the info

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
Haha, it’s totally hypothetical. I can’t imagine any contraindications since there aren’t studies. It’s just one of those things where I figure if I don’t neeeeed to take the nsaid, I’ll just muscle through. To each their own though. I don’t feel strongly about it, just sharing the info

Its one of those mindless things , I have done without thinking. It will be good to know, I would hate to give a recommendation that could potentially decrease response to this all important vaccine. The stakes are too high ❤

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its one of those mindless things , I have done without thinking. It will be good to know, I would hate to give a recommendation that could potentially decrease response to this all important vaccine. The stakes are too high ❤

Haha yeah I only started thinking about it cause my coworker saw me reach for some ibuprofen cause my arm was sore after the first shot. And she gave me the whole spiel, and I checked in with 2 infectious disease docs who were both like “I mean, it’s probably fine but it you don’t HAVE to..” So definitely by no means evidence based or proven or science. And yet I’m still going to try to avoid taking them because the risk v benefit seems to make sense to me that way.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I was chatting with my sister this evening. She gets her 2nd shot on Friday. She has worked through the pandemic as a Community EMT. It's a special community healthcare role, but this year it has taken her through the worst of the outbreaks. She has been in and out of nursing homes and had other exposures. She said she has had multiple exposures to COVID a week. Her co-workers been sick, but to her surprise, she has not been sick yet.

She only told me now because she knows I would have been extra anxious about her, but told me this because she wonders if maybe there is an innate resistance to the bug. Things that make one go "hmmmm".

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was chatting with my sister this evening. She gets her 2nd shot on Friday. She has worked through the pandemic as a Community EMT. It's a special community healthcare role, but this year it has taken her through the worst of the outbreaks. She has been in and out of nursing homes and had other exposures. She said she has had multiple exposures to COVID a week. Her co-workers been sick, but to her surprise, she has not been sick yet.

She only told me now because she knows I would have been extra anxious about her, but told me this because she wonders if maybe there is an innate resistance to the bug. Things that make one go "hmmmm".

Maybe if we didn't have modern medicine your sister is one of the ones nature has desided should survive

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, one of our doc friends who was never sick (and did my anesthesia for 2 of my surgeries since February) is positive for antibodies. So he must have had it or carried the virus or whatever, but he never felt bad or missed a day of work.

It would be interesting to see if she has antibodies.

A woman I know had her college kids tested for antibodies because they went back to school (where one of mine goes— they stayed hybrid including in person classes) and her husband is at risk. Both boys have antibodies but she does not.

(As an aside, my friend who had a mild case of covid in July— who exposed me— still is positive for antibodies, thought they have told her to still get the vaccine since she is a hospice doctor)

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my husband and I both got our first vaccines, and so far, we feel fine. It was the moderna vaccine.
I guess I’ll know tomorrow if I feel any side effects......
The shot didn’t hurt, and we were watched for 15 minutes afterwards.:loopy:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my friends who are in healthcare have received the first vaccination. I am so happy for them. We probably won't be able to get the vaccinations til summer if we are lucky with the inefficient way the USA is handling the process so far.

None of my friends have experienced any real adverse reactions. So far so good.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So DH did great with Pfizer shot #2 until about 4pm yesterday. Then he felt fluish and was running a low grade fever and went to bed early. He got back up around ten pm and said he was feeling better.

He went to work before I woke up this morning, so I don’t know his status today.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got shot 2 yesterday afternoon. Sore arm and slightly yucky feeling but otherwise fine and dandy. No fever or anything else. Wahoo. Good thing cause I have a 10 hour shift later today!

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
Day 2 post second dose, all of a sudden yesterday about 1 pm I became incredibly tired, not sure if it was all vaccine related or me coming off working 12 hour days for 10 days straight. Today is day 3, woke up per usual and went for a very long walk, I am back to my normal self. No arm soreness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results