shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, did I mess up? Thoughts?

This is WONDERFUL!!! Oh my goodness, she is going to be thrilled!!! There are very few women who'd prefer a 1.25 D VVS over a superideal 1.6 F VS2! Both will be white looking to everyone, yet one definitely will be seen as larger! That's also a size that would be a forever size for most women, although you have the lifetime upgrade option just in case on a future anniversary you want to upgrade the diamond!

I will also add that you're getting more for your money. BE is known to be a little on the higher priced side, and certainly they don't carry the very top cut diamonds, either. I salute you for being open to other options when you came here, because I think her ring will be outstanding! Please do come back with pictures! We want to see the ring and also hear what she thinks after the proposal!!!

My studs are from Whiteflash and I have a lot of pictures saved of various size stones. I wanted to show you this picture, because it shows stones the size you had at first and then two 1.5 ct stones. Your new one will be slightly larger than those. It's a great difference, but not too big. I wear a size 5.5 and once had a stone that was 1.58 G VS1 and about the same diameter as your F. I'll post that, too, so you can see the size on the hand.

WF.7mm.7.4mm brand removed.jpg IMG_2894.JPG

@diamondseeker2006 Thank you for posting these pictures! I had found a similar dimension (ever so slightly larger face up) diamond at WF to serve as my "before" size and Liza was kind enough to fulfill my request and send me a side by side next to the 1.6... I'm baffled by how much bigger it is in that comparison photo. My only explanation is when the jeweler tried showing me bigger sizes when I went to return and they looked small was maybe because they are cut to be a higher carat weight and not cut with face up surface area in mind? I.e. above average depth?

Initial diamond I had was a 1.25 ct and measured 6.86x6.81x4.26

WF had this ACA that was 1.237 which had a measurement of 6.87x6.89x4.25

Liza is a 4.5 so she also sent me a picture of the 1.6 in a temporary setting. I was hoping the difference between a size 4.5 and size 5 would mean it still looked just as good, and your picture of a 1.58 on a size 5.5 confirms it!!

compare.jpg
compare close.jpg
1.6ct hand.jpg

Oh myyyyy!!!!! I’m 1000% sure your girlfriend would be super happy with this diamond!!! Its 100% better than your first purchase, the middle black part of the previous diamond really concerning! And this 1.6 F is perfect!!! And F is still colorless. Please update us with the final ring and if you don’t mind update us with how your proposal goes and how your girlfriend like ACA after comparing with her friends BE diamonds. We PSers love stories =)2 and it can be educative for next readers whether its worth it to get super ideals or it looks the same. Oh and you saw the 3ex D VVS too right? Can you please tell us how you think about the 3ex vs ACA when you got ACA in hand like do you see any difference, etc? Thank you so much!!!

Absolutely! It will be a timeless, classic looking piece I hope. She's sent pictures of faceup solitaire rings before, but never of the basket, I even scrolled through every text, DM, and FB Messenger message we've ever sent just to look at all of the ring variations... let me just say there are sooo many styles that she has sent :wall:

Absolutely will be providing hand pics and whatever feedback she gives, that way the next poor soul hunting for the perfect ring can be armed with the proper knowledge and yet another testimonial!

Yes the first ring I purchased was a 1.25 D VVS2, and when I returned it the jeweler wanted to know why. Without bad talking this jeweler and putting them on blast in this post, let's just say I was armed with more information than he realized. So when he went to take me on a spin down salesman lane, I didn't bite. He went as far as to tell me I had the best cut possible and if I found a better one and showed him he'd give me the stone for free :eh:. He then said the AGS was not as reputable as the GIA. Then he went on to say super ideal cuts don't exist and ideal was a rating for a lab diamond. Then he proceeded to show me various larger sizes ranging from 1.5ct up to 3.5ct in colors D - L. I wasn't a fan of the yellowness but that jumped the 3.5ct price too high to be colorness or near colorness (almost $90k), and still just a Triple Ex. He showed me a lab 3ct D IF and quoted a little more than $33k I believe. All the time comparing loose diamonds to an already set diamond. Regardless of that, everything seemed REALLY small until we hit the 3ct mark, which seemed a little weird, and after seeing a 1.6 size next to a similar diamond to what I had (courtesy of WF honoring a request of mine) I can almost certainly say that he was showing me diamonds that were cut to inflate weight and still look small in order to get people to upsize. The way this 1.6 looks in comparison is roughly what the 2-2.2 he showed me looked like size wise, so something was clearly up. The man was polite, was good about the return, but definitely tried to take me for the sales pitch spin for sure.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you went in more informed. You were very polite with going along with the sales pitch. I would have said thanks but no thanks so he could save his breath.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!!! I think an F ACA is fabulous!

I think you may be right about the larger stones BE tried to show you being cut deeper, but it also simply may be that superideals tend to look larger than some other stones because of the edge to edge ideal light return. That's why I chose them for my studs since they would show up really nice and bright on the ears!

(Wow, on the other salesman and the things he said! :o )

I’m so glad you went in more informed. You were very polite with going along with the sales pitch. I would have said thanks but no thanks so he could save his breath.

Had he not made the comment about there not possibly being a better cut out there or the comment about super ideals not existing, or the comment about knowing "the white flash guy" and the diamonds all being the same, I may have fallen for it. He truly did have me interested in at least the size aspect, and it was good to see the difference in colors, but it cast some doubts and worries which is what prompted me to look up an identically sized diamond at WF and request a side by side from Liza.

He also went on to tell me he made very little profit from his sales in order to help the customer and the prices were as low as I'd find... but when he was trying his best to show me online inventory from his suppliers he also left his books app open and I briefly saw his listed price, what he sold it for, and what his profit margin was for that sale. Definitely didn't coincide with his claim about only making a couple hundred off each sale :naughty:

It's beautiful!!! I think an F ACA is fabulous!

I think you may be right about the larger stones BE tried to show you being cut deeper, but it also simply may be that superideals tend to look larger than some other stones because of the edge to edge ideal light return. That's why I chose them for my studs since they would show up really nice and bright on the ears!

(Wow, on the other salesman and the things he said! :o )

Sorry, just to clear one thing up for the viewers of this thread. I did not go to BE. The name of the jeweler I went to has been mentioned briefly through this thread though, and if someone was curious they can locate that information.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results