shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, damn! I think I have a cushion cut.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
My mother, who died a few years ago, always told us she had collected three Asscher cut solitaires, one for each of her daughters. We all chose one in the division after her funeral, and that was that, so I thought. I'm keeping it for my daughter since I don't wear diamond rings much. Plus it's way too big.
I was going through the insurance paperwork, and I noticed the appraisal said it was a *cushion* cut. What? After all those years of detailing her adventures in finding Asscher solitaires?

It looks like a cushion cut to me. For those who are interested: E color, S1, 1.53 ct.

Dayum.

20200106_145425.jpeg

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry for the loss of your mother, but what a lovely way for your daughter to have a memento of her grandmother, no matter what the shape of the diamond.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry for the loss of your mother, but what a lovely way for your daughter to have a memento of her grandmother.

Thank you so much. My daughter, luckily, got to know her, as did all her grandchildren - she lived a long life. Also, as my daughter shares my mother's love of diamonds I gave her mom's (I thought emerald-cut, but it seems they're Asscher) stud earrings for her 21st birthday.

I don't know much about diamonds, but mom sure loved them! We used to talk about her jewelry a lot. When she was in pain or in a bad mood, I could usually get her talking about one of two subjects - the family that she remembered from her youth, or her jewelry - and she'd be off to the races. That's why I'm surprised the diamond isn't what she always said. Although she was always trading in and trading up, so maybe an Asscher was traded in for this one and she just didn't tell us?

Anyhow, it's a beautiful solitaire, and someday my daughter will, I'm sure, enjoy it.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much. My daughter, luckily, got to know her, as did all her grandchildren - she lived a long life. Also, as my daughter shares my mother's love of diamonds I gave her mom's (I thought emerald-cut, but it seems they're Asscher) stud earrings for her 21st birthday.

I don't know much about diamonds, but mom sure loved them! We used to talk about her jewelry a lot. When she was in pain or in a bad mood, I could usually get her talking about one of two subjects - the family that she remembered from her youth, or her jewelry - and she'd be off to the races. That's why I'm surprised the diamond isn't what she always said. Although she was always trading in and trading up, so maybe an Asscher was traded in for this one and she just didn't tell us?

Anyhow, it's a beautiful solitaire, and someday my daughter will, I'm sure, enjoy it.

How could she not enjoy it? A remembrance of her grandmother that she can carry with her, and bling to boot! A very lucky girl indeed. I (my husband as well) come from family where the only jewelry handed down, if anything at all, was a simple thin wedding band. I am the only jewelry lover in my family so I am always a little envious of those who inherit family jewels, for both the bling and the heritage factor.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps I should have titled this post "Tell me you don't know anything about diamonds without telling me you don't know anything about diamonds."
(I refer to myself, of course)

I don't remember looking carefully at the diamond, and can imagine many of you shaking your heads at not knowing a cushion cut from an Asscher. Well, we don't know what we don't know - and my only diamonds had been:
1. Tiny diamond earrings (our family jeweler said they had originally been watch diamonds) that I bought for myself in college:
2. My triangular studs
and
3. My husband's grandmother's ring.

What can I say? A pearl girl doesn't necessarily know her diamonds. It's a beautiful ring.

Luckily the ring that reminds me of mom, the one she wore often, has oval diamonds. Even *I* know an oval when I see it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sweet of your mother to collect some "asschers" for her daughters! No matter what it is, the sentiment means more than
anything!

Your daughter will be lucky to have something to remember her grandmother by!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results