shape
carat
color
clarity

Weld or Solder

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

patdb1

Rough_Rock
I have a Platinum setting that needs to be down sized. I have been told of two methods, solder or weld.
I would like to know which method is best? Both for durability and also looks. Would appreciate any insights that you have.
Thanks in advance

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welding is best in places where it can be accomplished without damaging any nearby stones. If the shank of the ring is not set with gems or diamonds, then probably welding is the right method. Lasers have made welding even close to gems and diamonds more practical, but in proximinity to gemstones often soldering is the proper choice.

Ultimately, you should see no seam with a weld and only a smallish seam with a good solder joint. We are not talking noticeable differences to untrained eyes, but very small differences that "might" be detected if one knows where to look.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Not many jewellers have laser equipment.
Laser maybe the future norm,and is good for repairs near delicate stones ect.
Soldering is how most stuff is and has been done for ..................
Laser maybe better in the right hands and if available but a simple sizing will be fine with solder.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s a plain platinum shank w/ no stones or "work" I would definitely encourage you to find someone who can weld it.

I had my e-ring sized down by the jeweler who made it (old family jeweler of DH''s) and he used solder. I don''t know if he used the "wrong" solder (as I know there is a difference between gold and platinum solder) but there was always a seam visible and the seam broke/opened after less than a year of wear.

I took the ring to the guy who we bought our w-bands from and he took it to someone who laser welded it.
You can''t even tell where the ring was sized- it''s perfectly smooth.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 4:20:34 PM
Author: dtnyc
If it''s a plain platinum shank w/ no stones or ''work'' I would definitely encourage you to find someone who can weld it.

You can''t even tell where the ring was sized- it''s perfectly smooth.
Welding-makes no difference if there is stones or "work around" in fact this is where laser welding is safer than flame soldering.
Either way the join should be smooooth and a faint line maybe visible on a solder join but...so what it`s underneath and very faint.
Don`t be put off by one lousy repair job when millions of rings have been done sucessfully the "old" way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results