shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird Things Jewelers Have Told You

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
I went into a jewelry store with my E-ring on, a sweet saleslady cleaned it for me. She was gushing about how "insanely sparkly" it was. Before she could hand it back the manager came over and asked to see the ring. He looked it over, pulled out a loupe and looked some more. The conversation went like this;

Him: "Your diamond is heavily included to the point that it's structural stability is compromised. If you wear this ring much, you should anticipate having to replace this stone because a good bump will break it".
Me; "Uhhhhh, sir, that's a GIA graded VVS1, it's only a single TINY pinpoint away from being internally flawless. And that pinpoint is hidden under the prong nearest the girdle inscription".
Him: "I think somebody switched your diamond, this one is very poor quality".
Me; "I have a microscope at home and I used it to verify everything I just told you. Now give me back my damn ring before you taint it with your lies!".

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a charming little rose cut diamond I wanted set, and the jeweler placed it in a setting flat side UP. I showed them the crown of the diamond and explained WHAT a rose cut it and how it’s supposed to be set and the jeweler goes “Are you sure? That doesn’t seem correct.” I showed him another rose cut ring on my hand and told him I was pretty sure!

Also too many settings of mine I’ve ever brought to that jeweler to set a stone into has had “structural flaws” or the stone is “not quality and will break.” I am so grateful that after years of having my settings and gems criticized I met my current guy. He’s awesome and honest and genuinely compliments me on finding good pieces when I bring them in.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Handed her my e-ring for the ultrasonic. She looked at it and sniffed, "I'm sorry, we can't put sterling into the ultrasonic".
"It's platinum," I said.
"it looks like sterling".
A mall chain.
_________

Oh, and a cruise ship jewelry store tried to sell me a big diamond with a giant inclusion that looked like a rock because it was so cool to have such a special diamond.

Last edited:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Does an appraiser count?

About AGS certification: *laughs* "This means nothing. The only certification that means anything is GIA"

About colored stones "Dear, you can't get colored stones certified. If someone told you a colored stone has a laboratory certificate, they are lying to you"

About my unheated sapphire from Mastercut Gems (before seeing it), "it can't be any good for that price! It probably isn't a real sapphire"

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wanted a ring guard with a 1/4 ct trillion on each side to bling up my 1 ct. pear solitaire. I stopped at an independent jeweler to talk to him
about it. He had been in business forever. He said “ that would not look good” . The next independent jeweler ordered what I wanted and I have loved my set for 10 years now. I get compliments on it too.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
Local hometown jewelers - GIA certification doesn't matter and they are a complete waste of money. Also, GIA only certifies diamonds when I asked about if a sapphire was certified.

$3k is a reasonable price to add a spring insert to a ring. When I told the salesperson that I could have a new setting easily made for $3k, she didn't believe me. David Klass added the insert for 1/10th of what hometown jeweler quoted.

Inclusions add character and make a stone more valuable.

"Chocolate" diamonds are actually fancy colored diamonds, in the same category as pink diamonds. I don't know anything about colored diamonds, but I'm pretty sure that brown isn't a color that starts a bidding war at Sotheby's

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Does an appraiser count?

About AGS certification: *laughs* "This means nothing. The only certification that means anything is GIA"

About colored stones "Dear, you can't get colored stones certified. If someone told you a colored stone has a laboratory certificate, they are lying to you"

About my unheated sapphire from Mastercut Gems (before seeing it), "it can't be any good for that price! It probably isn't a real sapphire"

I had one tell me once the same thing re: GIA vs. AGS, that AGS certs were meaningless and that GIA was the only “real“ certification.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
When being sold a 0.25ct I2 clarity terribly cut diamond pendant for £400 GBP in a UK mall-store-equivalent in 2001:

"Diamonds always go up in value, it will be worth a lot more in 20 years time"

20 years later :think: :think: :think:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When being sold a 0.25ct I2 clarity terribly cut diamond pendant for £400 GBP in a UK mall-store-equivalent in 2001:

"Diamonds always go up in value, it will be worth a lot more in 20 years time"

20 years later :think: :think: :think:

Did you enjoy owning it back in 2001 ?
It was before PS

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose I did, until I found PS!! Haha. All I knew then were high street (aka mall) jewellers. Though I remember seeing a much nicer similar pendant in an independent jewellers for much less and thinking, hmm.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suppose I did, until I found PS!! Haha. All I knew then were high street (aka mall) jewellers. Though I remember seeing a much nicer similar pendant in an independent jewellers for much less and thinking, hmm.

To my antipodean ears high street sounds a bit flasher than a mall jewler

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
CE52D27E-302D-4E18-A255-B7B1C7879972.jpeg Wanted to reset this pair of tiny clustered Burmese rubies with additional diamonds to brighten up the look but jeweller I approached said “No craftsman would do for you as those small rubies would fly off easily while setting”

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
CE52D27E-302D-4E18-A255-B7B1C7879972.jpeg Wanted to reset this pair of tiny clustered Burmese rubies with additional diamonds to brighten up the look but jeweller I approached said “No craftsman would do for you as those small rubies would fly off easily while setting”

Those are lovely earrings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results