shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird experience when comparing with Cartier / Tiffany rings

InfiniteAegis

Rough_Rock
I got a an engagement ring for my fiancée a couple of weeks ago and after return from an overseas trip, we decided to walk into some brick and mortar stores to see how the ring compares with the jeweller's and under store led lights.

It turns out that, much to my surprise, our ring does not shine as much as the rings in store and almost has a cloudy and dusty look around the edge of the table, which is quite visible under direct strong light but not quite so under normal lights.

Our ring is G colour and vvs clarity and otherwise ticks all the specs of an ideal cut diamond that are suggested on PS. So I wouldn't think that this would happen and certainly didn't notice anything like the cloudy and dusty look when I first bought the ring from the jeweller. During the overseas trip, we went through some quite dusty roads. So I'm thinking whether this could be a result of simply the dirty and grime that has accumulated during the short period?

Does any one have similar experiences? Any thoughts are appreciated.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Weird experience when comparing with Cartier / Tiffany r

Yes, you need to clean diamonds regularly. Not only will they collect environmental dirt like the dust you mentioned, but skin oils from hands and being touched as well. I prefer to clean at least weekly, but if you are going into a store to compare to the diamonds there, clean it right before you go. Otherwise it's like comparing a car you've never washed to the shiny cars at the dealership - even if yours is better, it won't look it if it's covered in dirt.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sounds like it just needs cleaning. My favorite way to clean jewelry is a short soak in warm water with a drop of dish soap (Simple Green also works beautifully at cleaning), then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush. Rinse with clean water, dry with paper towels (or better yet, blast it with a blow dryer for a few seconds). Do this once a week to keep the ring looking like new and totally sparkly. :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree it probably needs a clean diamonds are great dirt attractors especially if you wear your rings 24/7.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

ericad|1476941722|4088851 said:
Sounds like it just needs cleaning. My favorite way to clean jewelry is a short soak in warm water with a drop of dish soap (Simple Green also works beautifully at cleaning), then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush. Rinse with clean water, dry with paper towels (or better yet, blast it with a blow dryer for a few seconds). Do this once a week to keep the ring looking like new and totally sparkly. :)

This is exactly what I do, but instead of the hair dryer or paper towels, I use a little lens cloth to dry the diamond (a very soft cloth used for cleaning glasses).

Diamonds don't sparkle well if there's any oil on them--some people have more natural skin oils, and people who use hand lotions or other oil-based products (like hair oil) may find their diamonds don't look as sparkly. Oils can cause diamonds to look very bad even under ideal lighting. Regular cleaning keeps jewelry looking new.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keep a jar of jewelry cleaner on your bathroom vanity. Put your diamond ring in there every night when you take it off. After you are ready in the morning, take the ring out, give the stone a quick brushing, rinse with hot water, dry, and wear. That way your ring will be at it's best all the time.

InfiniteAegis

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone. Will give the ring a clean and hopefully it will resolve the issue!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

ericad|1476941722|4088851 said:
(Simple Green also works beautifully at cleaning)

Simple Green is sort of caustic. Even car guys will rinse it from parts quickly, so I wouldn't use it on jewelry.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Ya know, it may sound weird, but I have the same thing happen when I go into Tiffany's, Hearts on Fire or Cartier. My stone is usually very clean and is an AGS000. I thought maybe it was because their settings let more light in or out, in their solitaire settings (my setting is a thicker 6-prong setting) or maybe well cut stones don't do as well in super bright jewelry store lights? Mine is amazing when I shadow it a bit in these stores. Strange phenomenon for me, that I have never been able to describe, so I never asked about it. But I am, for sure, curious.

Mrs2Ouch

Rough_Rock

You guys have me worried! Now I need to go to Tiffany's and compare my diamond to theirs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its grime. It took me 3 days recently to get all of it off mine. I had to finally use soft scrub (no bleach) and an old toothbrush.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

I am going to stop in Tiffany this weekend to pick up a ring I had repaired, and I plan on wearing my AGS0 diamond in there. I will report back with how my diamond looks in the store.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Coda, I am curious. If yours looks great, then I am going to super clean mine, then stop by T&Co. This has plaqued me for years! Especially when I knew my stone was cut better than the compared stone.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never been to or even outside a Tiffany store. I have read here once though that the diamonds in their cases, this was a few years ago, are lit by tubes from all sorts of angles, so if you are looking into cases rather than comparing them in your hands that may have something to do with it.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

I finally got a chance to stop in Tiffany, and my diamond looked amazing in there! Maybe different Tiffany stores have different lighting, I don't know. This was a brand new store I was in.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1477171442|4089630 said:
I have never been to or even outside a Tiffany store. I have read here once though that the diamonds in their cases, this was a few years ago, are lit by tubes from all sorts of angles, so if you are looking into cases rather than comparing them in your hands that may have something to do with it.

Yes, jeweler's cases often have lighting inside them, so unless you are putting your ring directly in the case or comparing your ring to one from the store that you are holding, you're not getting an apples-to-apples comparison. Even all my silversmith friends who do shows have tons of lighting for their cases that they use at art fairs and so on, and all that stuff is portable, so I'm sure fancy jewelers like Tiffany have even more intense setups.

SparkleyCarats

Rough_Rock

I am sure it only needs a good thorough cleaning. I always use jewelry cleaner from the jewelry store to clean mine. Usually, as long as I drop my rings in the cleaner jar every night before I go to bed, I just need to rinse them the next morning. However, if I wear them for several days without cleaning them I do need to scrub them after they have soaked over night.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A home version of the jewelry steam cleaner is a really good investment. If you also get a small vibrasonic cleaner for the soak phase, you can do a professional quality cleaning at home and it really makes a difference. There are many good solutions available, or you can make your own very easily.

If you don't have a steam cleaner, most good jewelry stores will do a quick steam for you at no charge. It will get the film out from under prongs and places you can't reach with a brush. A good brush is important - one with long fine, but stiff bristles. Toothbrush bristles are too thick to reach everywhere on the pavilion of the diamonds that you need to reach. Art supply stores have thousands of different brushes to choose from.

Regular care will keep the dirt and film from building up and getting 'baked on'.

Rule of thumb - thoroughly clean your jewelry AT LEAST as often as you wash your car! :wink2:

Dakota

Rough_Rock

What you wear on your hand will never compare to showroom quality. If it shows as described after a good cleaning in comparable lighting, then I would be worried.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Texas Leaguer|1477429497|4090506 said:
Rule of thumb - thoroughly clean your jewelry AT LEAST as often as you wash your car! :wink2:

I wash my car generally about once a year... my husband would tell me I should wash my car at least as often as I wash my jewelry. :lol:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

distracts|1477432732|4090517 said:

I wash my car generally about once a year... my husband would tell me I should wash my car at least as often as I wash my jewelry. :lol:
Ha!

In that case he's probably right. :twirl:

JustinVu

Rough_Rock

Gotta say, OP, I have the same experience. Although my diamond was strictly within the parameters as suggested, with much better 3C compared to a Tiffany diamond, the result when compared side by side is still a clear victory to TIffany.

I went to the store today, comparing my stone: E VS1 1.1ct vs Tiffany's stone H VS1 0.99ct. Specs are as follow:

Mine: 56%, 62.1%, 35%, 40.6%
Tiffany: 58%, 61.8%, 34.8%, 40.8%.

Yes the numbers are in favour of Tiffany but I mean, every single displayed stones looks better than mine, consistently.

That puts in a question for me that, whether we can beat Tiffany's quality???

Note: I have put both stones on same fingers, on a tray or my palm for comparison. Under every angle, Tiffany's stones still sparkle more.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

There's nothing special about Tiffany stones or a secret recipe that makes their stones superior. Although their stones may have reasonable proportions there is no 'tiffany quality' aspect about the diamonds.

The one I purchased was a 35/40.8 stone that looked terrible after touching it, and absolutely amazing after cleaning it. In my experience deeply cut stones can also sparkle just as much if not more than ideal cut stones with an abundance of light. One of the sparkliest diamonds I ever saw was a 'very good cut' EGL diamond, with very deep proportions. Outside the store lights, it looked awful.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

distracts|1477432732|4090517 said:

I just wait till it rains! :lol:

Luxxy

Rough_Rock

It's funny just how different a diamond can look when it's dirty, dusty or grimy. I know that you should clean your diamonds at least a couple of times a week. That's what my mother used to do anyway and the difference would be like night and day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results