shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Watchers update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
As some of you know, I was considering starting the Cookie Diet a few weeks ago, but instead I signed up for the more realistic Weight Watchers for the first time. Even though my BMI is a "healthy weight," I still gained a few pounds over the past year (especially the holidays) and I wanted to lose about 16 pounds total by Memorial Day weekend. I''m 5''9", and my normal size is a 6, but I eased my way up to an 8, and when my size 8 jeans started to get tight I knew that I needed to start doing something different.

At New Year''s, I joined the YMCA, and have consistently worked out 45 - 60 minutes per day, 6 days a week, since the beginning of the year - I''m running 20 miles a week, and I do a 1 hour boot camp class once a week. My old workout routine was 30 min. 5 days a week of jogging, so this was a ramp-up for me. I also started Weight Watchers online 2 weeks ago.

I didn''t really lose much weight with the extra workouts, but WW has really helped. The points system is great. I didn''t realize that even though I eat very healthy meals, and healthy snacks, my snacks were a lot of fat and calories every day (mostly fruit & nuts). So, cutting back on the snacking has made a big difference. I was tryihng to eat low-carb South Beach Diet before, and the weight wasn''t coming off at all, plus, I was dreaming about eating potatoes ;-)

So far, over the past 6 weeks, I have lost 6 pounds, and have 10 to go. It feels really slow only losing about 1 lb. per week, but if I keep that up, I''ll be at my goal by summer, which is what I wanted.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank those of you who recommended WW (thanks Skippy!) It''s so easy and I don''t feel like I''m on a diet - it''s great. I''ll let you guys know when I lose my next 5 ...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Awesome vespergirl - it sounds like you are losing weight in a slow, steady, healthy way. What incredible progress you are making, and you should be really proud of yourself.

I know it seems slow, but keep in mind that losing weight off an already-healthy weight is the toughest weight to lose (vs. someone who is starting very overweight) - its why "those last 10 lbs" is such a struggle for so many.

It sounds like you are doing it right though, and you should be really proud
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks AG, I never had problems taking off those 10 "vanity pounds" before, but since I had my son 2 years ago, if I let my diet or exercise slip at all (which I did last year) they creep right up. I''m fine with it taking 4 months or so to take the weight off, since it took me a year to put it on
emsmilep.gif
You are, right, though - even though my 35 pounds of baby weight melted off, it''s the last 5-10 pounds that are always the hardest to lose. When I was at my thinnest, in my mid-20s, I would run 5 miles and lose 3 pounds. Now that I''m 32 and post-partum, it''s much harder to lose.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vespergirl, that is fabulous; wooo hooo on the 6 lbs!!!
36.gif
Even though it goes a bit slow that is the healthy way to do it and I love that they teach you good healthy lifestyle changes. I have read studies where if you lose weight slow and healthy you are more likely to keep it off because it wasn''t just some diet; it was something you could do for life. Do you use the etools? I love being able to fill in my fruits and veggies for the day! I am so Happy for you
9.gif

I am like you I have about 10 lbs to go too!!! For some reason the last 10 lbs are the hardest! Yay, you are doing great
36.gif
Thanks for updating all of us and I bet your post is inspiring others!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 2:50:46 PM
Author: vespergirl
Thanks AG, I never had problems taking off those 10 ''vanity pounds'' before, but since I had my son 2 years ago, if I let my diet or exercise slip at all (which I did last year) they creep right up. I''m fine with it taking 4 months or so to take the weight off, since it took me a year to put it on
emsmilep.gif
You are, right, though - even though my 35 pounds of baby weight melted off, it''s the last 5-10 pounds that are always the hardest to lose. When I was at my thinnest, in my mid-20s, I would run 5 miles and lose 3 pounds. Now that I''m 32 and post-partum, it''s much harder to lose.

I don''t think its ever been easy for me to lose any amount - I can see how that would be a significant adjustment. Sounds like you are absolutely on a great track though, so that''s fantastic - its so important to know what works for you personally
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
YAY Vesper! WW has been a huge success for me, too, and I know you''re going to do this and be healthy with it. Yeah, I know it''s miserably slow sometimes (13 pounds in 18 weeks, with 15-20 to go is driving me BATTY) but it really stays off when you become more aware of what you''re eating.

Congratulations!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 5:33:18 PM
Author: princesss
YAY Vesper! WW has been a huge success for me, too, and I know you''re going to do this and be healthy with it. Yeah, I know it''s miserably slow sometimes (13 pounds in 18 weeks, with 15-20 to go is driving me BATTY) but it really stays off when you become more aware of what you''re eating.

Congratulations!

Princess - congratulations, sounds like you have had great success too!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 7:54:07 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

Date: 2/14/2009 5:33:18 PM
Author: princesss
YAY Vesper! WW has been a huge success for me, too, and I know you're going to do this and be healthy with it. Yeah, I know it's miserably slow sometimes (13 pounds in 18 weeks, with 15-20 to go is driving me BATTY) but it really stays off when you become more aware of what you're eating.

Congratulations!

Princess - congratulations, sounds like you have had great success too!
9.gif
Woo, Princess and Amber, you two look fab by the way!!!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 4:41:59 PM
Author: Skippy123
Vespergirl, that is fabulous; wooo hooo on the 6 lbs!!!
36.gif
Even though it goes a bit slow that is the healthy way to do it and I love that they teach you good healthy lifestyle changes. I have read studies where if you lose weight slow and healthy you are more likely to keep it off because it wasn''t just some diet; it was something you could do for life. Do you use the etools? I love being able to fill in my fruits and veggies for the day! I am so Happy for you
9.gif

I am like you I have about 10 lbs to go too!!! For some reason the last 10 lbs are the hardest! Yay, you are doing great
36.gif
Thanks for updating all of us and I bet your post is inspiring others!!!
Hey there! I am using the etools - I think part of what''s working so well is that I''m able to journal my food - those little handfulls of nuts all day really were adding up. I guess it''s true what I read recently, that people who keep food journals lose more weight.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and encouragement!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Princess and Amber!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Congrats vesper those last few pounds definitly are hard to get off.

I do have a question about WW I was thinking of signing up now that I finally signed back up for the gym does WW have a set meal plan or do you make up your own meals within the points limits?

So many people seem to have awesome results with it I figure it could help me as well.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 6:24:56 AM
Author: Deelight
Congrats vesper those last few pounds definitly are hard to get off.

I do have a question about WW I was thinking of signing up now that I finally signed back up for the gym does WW have a set meal plan or do you make up your own meals within the points limits?

So many people seem to have awesome results with it I figure it could help me as well.
Hey there Deelight, you can either make up your own meals & calculate the points online, or you can download their recipes. I love to cook, so I''ve been calculating the points for my own recipes. Then you can save them online, so that they are entered for next time. I have tried several of the WW recipes available online as well, and they are delicious - my husband agreed too that we like them much better than the recipes from the South Beach Diet cookbook.

I was surprised at how affordable it is. I''m not going to meetings, just using WW Online. I signed up for 3 months - they had a special that worked out to $5 per week for 3 months, $60 total.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Vesper :), I was curious as I was sure they changed it a friend of mind did WW years ago and had set meal plans for each day.

I definitly have to give it a go I am not sure I would want to do the meetings or not...still have to decide on that point.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Vespergirl,

How are you doing? I hope you're on track to losing more weight and congratulations on losing the pounds! WTG, girl!!
36.gif

Just wanted to let you know that this thread and your cookie diet thread have been very inspirational to me. I also have Hashimotos (as you might remember) and my weight has been yo-yoing between 100lbs and 122lbs during the last four-five years!
6.gif
. And all this on a 5'2" frame!! During the summer of 2008, I was at my heaviest ever but couldn't get rid of the weight because of my hectic work schedule.

During the months of November and December, I lost about 6lbs because I was on a really crazy project. I was working 12-15hrs a day, 7 days a week, and didn't have time to go out buy food or eat when I got home in the evening.

I started going to the gym in January, and lost another 3lbs during the month of January.

Upon reading your threads, I started going to the gym and have lost another 4lbs just during the last 10 days. I've started eating more healthily and feel GREAT!!

So, thanks, Vespergirl!
1.gif
Would love to get some update from you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 7:39:32 AM
Author: Phoenix
Hi Vespergirl,

How are you doing? I hope you''re on track to losing more weight and congratulations on losing the pounds! WTG, girl!!
36.gif

Just wanted to let you know that this thread and your cookie diet thread have been very inspirational to me. I also have Hashimotos (as you might remember) and my weight has been yo-yoing between 100lbs and 122lbs during the last four-five years!
6.gif
. And all this on a 5''2'' frame!! During the summer of 2008, I was at my heaviest ever but couldn''t get rid of the weight because of my hectic work schedule.

During the months of November and December, I lost about 6lbs because I was on a really crazy project. I was working 12-15hrs a day, 7 days a week, and didn''t have time to go out buy food or eat when I got home in the evening.

I started going to the gym in January, and lost another 3lbs during the month of January.

Upon reading your threads, I started going to the gym and have lost another 4lbs just during the last 10 days. I''ve started eating more healthily and feel GREAT!!

So, thanks, Vespergirl!
1.gif
I meant to say I''ve been going to the gym practically every day during the past 10 days. And YAY to you for not going on that crazy cookie diet. Cannot be good for you. I personally think it''s not just about losing weight but it''s more important to be healthy.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, vesper! You''re doing fantastic.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Vespergirl,

How are you doing? I hope you''re on track to losing more weight and congratulations on losing the pounds! WTG, girl!!
36.gif

6.gif
. And all this on a 5''2'' frame!! During the summer of 2008, I was at my heaviest ever but couldn''t get rid of the weight because of my hectic work schedule.

During the months of November and December, I lost about 6lbs because I was on a really crazy project. I was working 12-15hrs a day, 7 days a week, and didn''t have time to go out buy food or eat when I got home in the evening.

Upon reading your threads, I started going to the gym and have lost another 4lbs just during the last 10 days. I''ve started eating more healthily and feel GREAT!!

So, thanks, Vespergirl!
1.gif
Hey Phoenix, how are you? Congrats on your weight loss - you are so lucky that it''s been melting off so quickly! I really think that hitting the gym gives an extra boost to the metabolism. How is your Hashimoto''s? Are you happy with the way your dr. is managing it? I have Hashimoto''s as well, and I recently had my levels checked & they''re where I want them to be, so it hasn''t been hindering my weight loss as much as it could.

I have been losing right around 1 pound per week since New Year''s - right now I am down 7 pounds since Jan. 1, and I have 9 pounds to go. I am 5''9", so my goal weight is 145 (I''m 154 now). Since my goal is Memorial Day weekend, I should be able to lose it all in time. I am still really liking the WW. Since I go to the gym 6 days a week, I get a lot of extra points to use every day, so I haven''t had trouble sticking to the diet. In fact, I''ve never stuck to a diet this long before, so I guess it''s the right one for me. It''s nice to be able to eat bread & pasta & chocolate (in moderation) without feeling like a failure. I am also already fitting into a lot of my old size 6 jeans that I used to wear, so I am definitely seeing results. I have been running between 15-20 miles per week, so I think that has really helped. Jogging is really the only exercise that gets the weight off effectively for me.

Anyway, good luck going forward - it''s sounds like you''re making great progress! :)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I once heard a nutritionist say that weight loss and healthy lifestyle is an 80/20 rule...80% nutriution and 20% exercise. I''m not on WW, but I do have one of their cookbooks and the recipes I''ve tried are tasty and filling.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:51:19 PM
Author: vespergirl

Hi Vespergirl,

How are you doing? I hope you're on track to losing more weight and congratulations on losing the pounds! WTG, girl!!
36.gif

6.gif
. And all this on a 5'2' frame!! During the summer of 2008, I was at my heaviest ever but couldn't get rid of the weight because of my hectic work schedule.

During the months of November and December, I lost about 6lbs because I was on a really crazy project. I was working 12-15hrs a day, 7 days a week, and didn't have time to go out buy food or eat when I got home in the evening.

Upon reading your threads, I started going to the gym and have lost another 4lbs just during the last 10 days. I've started eating more healthily and feel GREAT!!

So, thanks, Vespergirl!
1.gif
Hey Phoenix, how are you? Congrats on your weight loss - you are so lucky that it's been melting off so quickly! I really think that hitting the gym gives an extra boost to the metabolism. How is your Hashimoto's? Are you happy with the way your dr. is managing it? I have Hashimoto's as well, and I recently had my levels checked & they're where I want them to be, so it hasn't been hindering my weight loss as much as it could.

I have been losing right around 1 pound per week since New Year's - right now I am down 7 pounds since Jan. 1, and I have 9 pounds to go. I am 5'9', so my goal weight is 145 (I'm 154 now). Since my goal is Memorial Day weekend, I should be able to lose it all in time. I am still really liking the WW. Since I go to the gym 6 days a week, I get a lot of extra points to use every day, so I haven't had trouble sticking to the diet. In fact, I've never stuck to a diet this long before, so I guess it's the right one for me. It's nice to be able to eat bread & pasta & chocolate (in moderation) without feeling like a failure. I am also already fitting into a lot of my old size 6 jeans that I used to wear, so I am definitely seeing results. I have been running between 15-20 miles per week, so I think that has really helped. Jogging is really the only exercise that gets the weight off effectively for me.

Anyway, good luck going forward - it's sounds like you're making great progress! :)
Hi Vespergirl,

I actually have found it *very hard* to lose weight. I put on it extremely easily but taking if off is a real struggle. The weight loss in Nov and Dec was just a fluke, really, you might say. I was feeling and looking absolutely awful. It's more the recent weight loss that I am most happy with. I am eating right (all the nutrients, vitamins etc) and exercising regularly. I find that in addition to cardio, doing weights/ resistance training helps a lot with buring the calories and losing weight. Like you, I am still eating a fairly normal diet, carbs (not so much in the evening though), meats, veggies and the occasional cookies or piece of cake. I think it's when you deprive yourself too much that it backfires! And plenty of sleep is important too (like at least 8 hours). At least I find that's what works for me. I feel really great now, healthier and not so obsessed with my weight and what I put in my mouth. I aim to be 106lbs by the end of March (achievable I hope), which i think is my healthy weight, any less I'll be anorexic.

I am glad your thyroid levels are where you want them to be. My doctor is still trying to find the right dosage for me. I was on 25micrograms but am now taking 12.5. I go for check-ups every three months to see what's the right dosage.

Keep it up. I'm proud of you Keep us posted too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results