shape
carat
color
clarity

weight of platinum???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
can someone who has platinum stud earrings tell me if the weight of platinum in their ears had made the holes in their earlobes stretch over time???

i love those leon mege sapphire studs but since he only works in platinum, and he is the one i know of who makes the earrings i want, i am concerned about that stretching effect. maybe that stretching only happens when its with diamonds and platinum because diamonds weigh more? or, would stretching NOT be a problem since the earrings would be set with sapphires in platinum?

i definately don't want my earlobe piercing stretched and ugly looking...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question.
I am also wondering if anyone can report any long-term ear lobe sagging from platinum over gold earrings.

I''m sure it depends on how heavy they are.
Simple platinum studs cannot be that heavy. (Unless it is holding a 200-carat honker.)

But a very massive earring design would be heavy, and may swing the decision towards gold over platinum.
I wouldn''t want saggy holes and ear lobes in my old age - I got enough problems.
7.gif

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
If you''re just talking simple studs, the weight of plat may not be a problem. Many women here have plat studs and have not commented on sagging being a problem.

Wink did comment the other day during "Wink TV" that screwback studs have a larger post. Screwbacks tend to make the piercing hole larger. And the screw threads themselves are the root of piercing problems his clients have had in the past.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely no problems. I only wear studs. And I only wear platinum due to allergy problems. Stretching occurs in heavier earrings, hanging earrings, hoops etc. I cringe when I see women wearing earrings so heavy you can see their stretched out holes. I don''t think thats a good look.

Now, I''m talking about .75ct each.

diamondseeker, if you read this, I promise photos soon! I need a time I''m alone to take photos or my kid and husband will think I''m nuts LOL.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i only wear platinum due to allergy also. i have the diamond set in platinum in and out hoops in the 3.?? from signed pieces. i would not wear them 24/7 but no problem as i wear them now. i also have diamond studs and diamond huggies in platinum and definately no problem weight wise at all.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
I've never heard of platinum studs being a problem worn everyday and stretching your ears unless you're some tahitian princess or something with some 50ct diamond studs.

The main problem with larger/heavier studs is that they droop and do not look "perky", this can be a problem with heavy mountings with 2+cts on each ear, etc. But it can be fixed either by getting a very shallow basket (so the earrings don't protrude out so much) or by using these thin plastic discs at the back of your ears to counteract the droop (or doing both).

As for stretching out your ears, I would think you'd need 5+ gram earrings that are worn frequently in order to do that... most platinum studs (say 2cts each stone) are only about 1.5-2 grams at the most.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
With simple settings the metal choice has little significance. As you approach large, ornate settings it can have implications but so does what's in the settings. For example, if you’re going to have massive 6” Christmas Tree replicas hanging from each ear by all means request a lighter metal, but if those Christmas Trees are made of heavy jade it will have more significant weight implications than your metal choice.

Just as important is where the hole is pierced on the earlobe. If it’s placed too low the earrings will droop, and if you do wear overweight earrings that placement could be harmful. Lesley, our sales director, has known women who have worn heavy earrings in low pierced holes which literally ripped through the bottom of the lobe.
40.gif

When we hear from women with low pierced holes we include clear plastic discs to place between the back of the lobe and the friction back, to provide support.

Tip of the day: Don’t pierce your lobes too low!
2.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Good point John! My girls are little but when they get their ears pierced one day I''ll make sure to keep that in mind!

6 inch Christmas tree earrings in Jade?? Hmm will Whiteflash be selling those this Christmas season :) Of course dont'' forget the diamond halo :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2007 3:38:50 PM
Author: asscherisme
Absolutely no problems. I only wear studs. And I only wear platinum due to allergy problems. Stretching occurs in heavier earrings, hanging earrings, hoops etc. I cringe when I see women wearing earrings so heavy you can see their stretched out holes. I don''t think thats a good look.

Now, I''m talking about .75ct each.

diamondseeker, if you read this, I promise photos soon! I need a time I''m alone to take photos or my kid and husband will think I''m nuts LOL.
Thanks, asscherisme! I know what you mean about taking ear shots..it is kind of strange!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh this is sooo funny - just YESTERDAY my husband comes in with one of those silly catalog magazines from the mailbox and he starts laughing and asks me if I need support tape to strengthen my sagging earlobes... I told him my diamonds weren''t big enough to need that LOL

Anyway, apparently there is a product for this so I say go ahead and get big ol'' honken platinum ear stretchers!!!! hehehe

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 4:32:06 PM
Author: asscherisme
Good point John! My girls are little but when they get their ears pierced one day I'll make sure to keep that in mind!

6 inch Christmas tree earrings in Jade?? Hmm will Whiteflash be selling those this Christmas season :) Of course dont' forget the diamond halo :)
...Not unless our designers experience temporary insanity and incorporate me into the think-tank. In that case, expect to see some sweet diamond-tipped drumsticks and a line of ACA man-rings before you see any Jade-tree-lobebenders.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results