shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Machine Recommendations for Home Workouts

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, so I am looking for recommendations for a sturdy home weight machine. I have done some research and found some potential contenders despite many things being out of stock during the pandemic. Does anyone have a home weight machine they recommend?

I have free weights and resistance bands and am using those but want to get a weight machine with pulleys/cable for a better workout.
I have a Pilates Reformer that I can do modified exercises on to strengthen my lower body (I do a horizontal leg press etc my Pilates Reformer so don't need that capability in a weight machine) and core so for this new piece of equipment I am mainly interested in upper body exercises. I want to do these exercises standing (to engage my core) and not sitting so that leaves a number of choices out.

Here are two that look promising. They are a bit pricey and take up a relatively large footprint though. If anyone has any other recs or advice I would appreciate it. I really don't know where I would put these in our home. That is the main issue.

I plan on going to a few gym stores that are open to explore in stock possibilities but in the meantime here are 2 contenders.

1. XMark Functional Trainer Cable Machine with Dual 200 lb Weight Stacks.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 6.29.14 AM.png

2. Genesis Dual-Cable Cross machine.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 6.30.01 AM.png

The exercises I want to be able to do on these include (but not limited to)

Lat pull down
Chest Press
Shoulder Press
Cable biceps bar
Cable triceps bar

Any advice is much appreciated thank you.

calvinandhobbesexercise.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look into a Tonal, in the Peloton groups I'm in it's the modern weight machine of choice for many.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look into a Tonal, in the Peloton groups I'm in it's the modern weight machine of choice for many.

Thank you! I wouldn’t have come up with that option. Appreciate it!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small body solid machine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00332ARK0 Purchased mine in 2015, dragged it to FL (glad I kept it!) its really great, love it.

Putting it together was a challenge though! I will share those images to show you why!

I supplement this with Woss Suspention Trainer (TRX Sued these guys out of existence unfortunately!) a few free weights, road bike (its electric but I pedal!), and Step Aerobic platform which can be used for all sorts of exercises as well https://www.amazon.com/Step-Studio-Platforms-28-75-14-25/dp/B017NTH3D2

I also have an inversion table, its quite old but again, purchased at relax the back, dragged it to FL and glad I did!

if I had the room I would have went with this one
https://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-EXM3000LPS-Multi-Station-Selectorized-Gym/dp/B00030AUKM

These are the old pics when I lived in Massachusetts when I had a basement and was putting that thing together... I labeled everything because it was totally necessary. Recently did have an issue with one of the cables, Body Solid came through and sent me one without a problem.

p1100301_19794971642_o.jpg p1100303_19614241740_o.jpg p1100314_19837312925_o.jpg

Attachments

• p1100302_19614246490_o.jpg
    p1100302_19614246490_o.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 28

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small body solid machine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00332ARK0 Purchased mine in 2015, dragged it to FL (glad I kept it!) its really great, love it.

Putting it together was a challenge though! I will share those images to show you why!

I supplement this with Woss Suspention Trainer (TRX Sued these guys out of existence unfortunately!) a few free weights, road bike (its electric but I pedal!), and Step Aerobic platform which can be used for all sorts of exercises as well https://www.amazon.com/Step-Studio-Platforms-28-75-14-25/dp/B017NTH3D2

I also have an inversion table, its quite old but again, purchased at relax the back, dragged it to FL and glad I did!

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-EXM3000LPS-Multi-Station-Selectorized-Gym/dp/B00030AUKM

These are the old pics when I lived in Massachusetts when I had a basement and was putting that thing together... I labeled everything because it was totally necessary. Recently did have an issue with one of the cables, Body Solid came through and sent me one without a problem.

p1100301_19794971642_o.jpg p1100303_19614241740_o.jpg p1100314_19837312925_o.jpg

Thanks @Arcadian that is impressive!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, how about a Smith machine? I'd so get this bad boy and probably will do at some stage.

1594726288899.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, how about a Smith machine? I'd so get this bad boy and probably will do at some stage.

1594726288899.png

Oh thank you @Phoenix. Off to check it out. I’m very impressed with the amazing recommendations from all of you. Thanks!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We have a very similar machine. We bought it at a used exercise equipment store for a fraction of the new price. We've had it for at least 20 years, it is very versatile and has held up well, Back then the maker was ParaBody.

Home Gym 1.jpg Home Gym 2.jpg Home Gym 3.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to post a photo of the wall chart we have that describes all the different exercises that can be done on the machine. =)2

Home Gym 5.jpg

Home Gym 6.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updating this thread. My weight machine was finally delivered Wednesday. It took 2 men 3 hours to assemble and I’m thrilled with it. Seems sturdy and hopefully it will hold up to two people using it every other day. Greg’s interested in using it too and that makes me happy. I just took a few pics. It has 2 sides with weight stacks. It has more weight than I think I’ll ever work my way up to but better too much than too little.

24342D4B-F24C-425B-BECE-A68330FDB92F.jpeg

EAD665CC-C01D-4FF6-9897-FDA2C2150041.jpeg

BEA70D1E-3104-4732-9F86-6227F002F8A3.jpeg

I used it yesterday and it’s very smooth. Time will be the true test but I’m pleased with the purchase. Especially happy I was able to get it during a pandemic and for what I feel is a reasonable price. We got it at a fitness store about 25 minutes away. We went to three stores and this was the only store able to ship within a month and at half the cost of the other stores. The owner himself delivered it and assembled it with his grown son.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Updating this thread. My weight machine was finally delivered Wednesday. It took 2 men 3 hours to assemble and I’m thrilled with it. Seems sturdy and hopefully it will hold up to two people using it every other day. Greg’s interested in using it too and that makes me happy. I just took a few pics. It has 2 sides with weight stacks. It has more weight than I think I’ll ever work my way up to but better too much than too little.

24342D4B-F24C-425B-BECE-A68330FDB92F.jpeg

EAD665CC-C01D-4FF6-9897-FDA2C2150041.jpeg

BEA70D1E-3104-4732-9F86-6227F002F8A3.jpeg

I used it yesterday and it’s very smooth. Time will be the true test but I’m pleased with the purchase. Especially happy I was able to get it during a pandemic and for what I feel is a reasonable price. We got it at a fitness store about 25 minutes away. We went to three stores and this was the only store able to ship within a month and at half the cost of the other stores. The owner himself delivered it and assembled it with his grown son.

Aww what a lovely set up. Now that's what you call customer service. I hope you enjoy using your new weight machine :)

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!

I have an Inspire FT1, which is another two-stack cable machine.

Three pieces of advice:
  1. For each exercise you do, also do the opposite of that exercise. For example, the biceps exercise and the triceps exercise are opposites. With a cable machine like yours, this is easy to arrange for most exercises: Do one set with the pulleys at the top, and one set with the pulleys at the bottom. For shoulder exercises where the pulleys need to be in the middle, do one set facing the machine, and one set facing away from the machine. For leg exercises where the pulleys need to be at the bottom so you can attach a cable to your ankle, do one set facing the wall, and one set with your back to the wall.
  2. Your recovery time is just as important as your workout. In other words, avoid working the same muscle group on consecutive days, and eat plenty of protein.
  3. Don't forget leg day! Unfortunately, squats do not have an opposite exercise.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Two more pieces of advice:
  1. Get a few small weights, so that you can "bump up" the difficulty by small amounts. My stacks have ten pound increments, so I have a pair of 2½ pound weights that I hang on the pins, and a pair of 5 pound weights that I put on the stacks.
  2. Make sure that you have plenty of airflow. During my workouts, I run a fan in a nearby bathroom, and crack open the windows in my workout room. You are going to be burning a lot of Calories, and you need the airflow to carry away that heat. Most members-only gyms don't have enough airflow, so you will be able to get a better workout at home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

I have an Inspire FT1, which is another two-stack cable machine.

Three pieces of advice:
  1. For each exercise you do, also do the opposite of that exercise. For example, the biceps exercise and the triceps exercise are opposites. With a cable machine like yours, this is easy to arrange for most exercises: Do one set with the pulleys at the top, and one set with the pulleys at the bottom. For shoulder exercises where the pulleys need to be in the middle, do one set facing the machine, and one set facing away from the machine. For leg exercises where the pulleys need to be at the bottom so you can attach a cable to your ankle, do one set facing the wall, and one set with your back to the wall.
  2. Your recovery time is just as important as your workout. In other words, avoid working the same muscle group on consecutive days, and eat plenty of protein.
  3. Don't forget leg day! Unfortunately, squats do not have an opposite exercise.

Two more pieces of advice:
  1. Get a few small weights, so that you can "bump up" the difficulty by small amounts. My stacks have ten pound increments, so I have a pair of 2½ pound weights that I hang on the pins, and a pair of 5 pound weights that I put on the stacks.
  2. Make sure that you have plenty of airflow. During my workouts, I run a fan in a nearby bathroom, and crack open the windows in my workout room. You are going to be burning a lot of Calories, and you need the airflow to carry away that heat. Most members-only gyms don't have enough airflow, so you will be able to get a better workout at home.

Thank you @jasper! I appreciate you sharing your experience and the info.
Your machine looks very similar to mine. Very nice.

I cannot believe I am saying this but I am really enjoying my weight workouts. I do have free weights that I include as part of my weight workout and I am doing them every other day with the machine exercises.

I am eating more protein and I am doing the opposite of each exercise when it exists. Except for the row exercise. I am not sure if that is safe for my spine to do it facing away from the machine...I have osteoporosis which was the impetus for me to incorporate weights into my workouts. Hmm maybe it is safe. If you know please let me know but if not I will try figuring it out.

I am doing both legs and arms the same day so I have a day off every other day vs doing arms one day and legs the next day. That works right?

I also do Pilates on the weight workout days.

I do my elliptical workout every day and I usually wear a weight vest when doing the elliptical to make it more weight bearing.
Unfortunately we love cycling so much and that is not weight bearing at all but this way I can justify cycling almost every day if I do weight bearing every day (elliptical)in addition to our cycling.

The one thing I have been remiss at doing are the floor exercises which my DH says are super important so I have to get motivated for those. Those are boring for me but I have to just do it. I don't know the technical names for those exercises but it's leg raises and hip raises and butt raises. And I incorporate the exercise balls I have as part of the floor routine. I am also using the exercise balls for squats and for balance exercises.

Do you have any suggestions for exercises that strengthen one's spine and/or muscles in the back? I am sure some of the exercises I am doing works on those too but I don't think I have any specific exercises for that.

As for air flow yes I have plenty. I need it cold when I workout and I have plenty of air flow happening.

Thanks again @jasper for chiming in with your expertise. Much appreciated.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
@missy -- Awesome!

Sorry, I do not know about safety issues for spinal exercises / core muscle workouts. And as you probably know, it is hard to find true experts.

Yes, arms and legs the same day, with at least a day off between workouts, works just fine. Doing cardio workouts (such as running or cycling or the elliptical, even with modest weights) on the offdays is also fine. College and pro athletes and bodybuilders do long enough strength-building workouts that they have separate "leg days".

Your cycling and "floor exercises" are decent exercises for your various leg muscles. I have a mild congenital issue with my knees. In the past, I had problems with them. Cycling and leg extensions (quadricep exercises) fixed the problems.

You can use your cable machine to replace most or all of your floor exercises. And because you can adjust the weights, you can keep that part of the workout short, so it might be less boring. My routine includes five leg exercises. Your machine probably came with an exercise guide, with pictures of them:
  1. Squats. (There are several choices. If you do these, choose one that feels safe, and involves a range of motion from similar to sitting in a low chair to fully standing up.)
  2. Standing one-legged quad extension. I put a crutch-like brace between the machine and the heel of the shoe of the foot I am standing on. I attach the cable to an ankle strap, and face away from the point of the machine. I hold a window sill for balance, but my window sills are higher than yours.
  3. Standing one-legged hamstring curl. (The opposite of the quad extension, so I face toward the point of the machine, and the toe of my shoe touches the brace.)
  4. Standing one-legged hip adductor. I put the brace between the machine and the side of the shoe of the foot I am standing on. I take off my other shoe, so that it does not rub on the floor during the exercise motion. I attach the cable to an ankle strap. Again, I hold a window sill for balance.
  5. Standing one-legged hip abductor. (The opposite of the hip adductor.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy -- Awesome!

Sorry, I do not know about safety issues for spinal exercises / core muscle workouts. And as you probably know, it is hard to find true experts.

Yes, arms and legs the same day, with at least a day off between workouts, works just fine. Doing cardio workouts (such as running or cycling or the elliptical, even with modest weights) on the offdays is also fine. College and pro athletes and bodybuilders do long enough strength-building workouts that they have separate "leg days".

Your cycling and "floor exercises" are decent exercises for your various leg muscles. I have a mild congenital issue with my knees. In the past, I had problems with them. Cycling and leg extensions (quadricep exercises) fixed the problems.

You can use your cable machine to replace most or all of your floor exercises. And because you can adjust the weights, you can keep that part of the workout short, so it might be less boring. My routine includes five leg exercises. Your machine probably came with an exercise guide, with pictures of them:
  1. Squats. (There are several choices. If you do these, choose one that feels safe, and involves a range of motion from similar to sitting in a low chair to fully standing up.)
  2. Standing one-legged quad extension. I put a crutch-like brace between the machine and the heel of the shoe of the foot I am standing on. I attach the cable to an ankle strap, and face away from the point of the machine. I hold a window sill for balance, but my window sills are higher than yours.
  3. Standing one-legged hamstring curl. (The opposite of the quad extension, so I face toward the point of the machine, and the toe of my shoe touches the brace.)
  4. Standing one-legged hip adductor. I put the brace between the machine and the side of the shoe of the foot I am standing on. I take off my other shoe, so that it does not rub on the floor during the exercise motion. I attach the cable to an ankle strap. Again, I hold a window sill for balance.
  5. Standing one-legged hip abductor. (The opposite of the hip adductor.)

Thank you again @jasper ! I think perhaps 4 and 5 are the same but I will google it to figure out the exercise. I haven't done leg exercises on the machine yet because the physical therapist I was working with had me doing other leg exercises but you are right. That would be a great addition. And yes there was a booklet with exercises that came with the machine. I have to check that out haha. I just started doing my routine without even glancing at it. I definitely have to be careful re balance as I am what is referred to as klutzy. So yeah safety and caution are paramount.

You wrote about doing cardio/elliptical/cycling on the off days but I do these pretty much daily. I hope that isn't hurting my attempt to build strength and muscle with the weights. I love cycling and the elliptical and doing it only every other day wouldn't be satisfying for me.

I am pleased for you that cycling and leg extensions helped your congenital knee issue. it's amazing what one can do with exercise.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
@missy -- Your cardio/elliptical/cycling daily is fine.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
@missy -- Both #4 adduction and #5 abduction are leg flaps. The difference is the direction. Adduction pushes the weight away from the centerline of your body; abduction pulls the weight toward the centerline of your body. So in the #4 standing one-legged hip adductor, your shod still foot is between the machine and the leg that you are exercising. Whereas in the #5 standing one-legged hip abductor, the leg that you are exercising is between the machine and your shod still foot.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I do deadlifts for core/spine stability exercises. They have done wonders for my back pain and overall core strength. You will want to make sure you have the form perfect though, otherwise you can throw your back out.

Also @missy - love the view from your weight machine! :)

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We got the xmark recently, since we're not comfortable going back to the gym. Love the bar for lat pulldowns & weighted squats!
20200726_184423.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got the xmark recently, since we're not comfortable going back to the gym. Love the bar for lat pulldowns & weighted squats!
20200726_184423.jpg

Love it. I considered this one too. Very similar. Mine has that long bar too but I’m not ready for it yet lol.

Enjoy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do deadlifts for core/spine stability exercises. They have done wonders for my back pain and overall core strength. You will want to make sure you have the form perfect though, otherwise you can throw your back out.

Also @missy - love the view from your weight machine! :)

Thank you! Very impressive you do deadlifts. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to do those. @marcy does deadlifts and she rocks at lifting. I’m glad your back pain has been alleviated and it’s amazing what a difference doing weight training can do.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy -- Both #4 adduction and #5 abduction are leg flaps. The difference is the direction. Adduction pushes the weight away from the centerline of your body; abduction pulls the weight toward the centerline of your body. So in the #4 standing one-legged hip adductor, your shod still foot is between the machine and the leg that you are exercising. Whereas in the #5 standing one-legged hip abductor, the leg that you are exercising is between the machine and your shod still foot.

Jasper, thank you so much again for sharing all this helpful info! I appreciate it!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love it. I considered this one too. Very similar. Mine has that long bar too but I’m not ready for it yet lol.

Enjoy!

Same to you! These machines are so versatile, I feel like you'll never run out of exercises!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same to you! These machines are so versatile, I feel like you'll never run out of exercises!

Thank you! And I have to say I never thought weight lifting would be fun. It’s a pleasant surprise!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results