shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 12th March till 18th March

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all
35.gif

Firstly, I just want to congratulate Monnie on 3 SMOKE FREE WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you would do it
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You have come so far and it will start to get easier soon! It has been almost 8 months for me now, unbelievable - but it is so worth doing!!!

Well I found a skirt to fit me, that is a 2 size drop, I still can''t believe it and think they must be making sizes larger than they used to! I also find setting mini goals is useful too, especially now as I will be back in T shirts soon if the better weather keeps up, it is always best wherever you are on your road to fitness and or weight loss, to take it a step at a time. If you want to lose 20 pounds, just aim to lose 5 then tackle the next 15, it makes it so much easier to do.

Jeff, Hubby and I started the fitness thing together and it is nice that we did it together and managed to quit smoking too, having that support makes it much easier, also you do it for each other too which is an extra motivator. It makes it easier in practical ways too such as preparing meals, avoiding junk food when you are out etc!

I had a great workout last night, blasted toe still hurts but I burned 800 cals in an hour and 10 mins, 40 mins on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill. I think we will all be finding our workouts easier soon with the longer days and better weather.

Have a great week all!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday morning all!

Last night I ate way too much of the happy hubby's fab pasta dish and we have tons left over so I'm havig it again tonight (although LESS, LOL).

Mara, I weigh myself first thing in the morning right after I pee (sorry if TMI). That probably gives me a lower weight than at any other point in the day so maybe it's really kinda "cheating" but I do it that way consistently so I think any changes would show up most accurately at that point.

And here is my stupid question of the day: If I do the treadmill and the elliptical and achieve the same heart rate on both machines for the same period of time why do I burn more cals on the elliptical? Wouldn't logic tell you that your heartrate is the indication of how hard you're working, so shouldn't the cals be the same?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are doing the right thing by weighing after going pp as that way you get your true weight Dee!

I am wondering about your calorie question, I wonder if it is a physics thing whereas the elliptical works more with resistance to burn more calories than the treadmill.....
34.gif
Lisa where are you?
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

Mara: I weigh in first thing in the morning. What I''ve always been told is it''s not about before/after workout, etc. it''s when. To get your most consistent weight you should weigh yourself at the same time every time. I typically weigh a lb. or two more after a workout and then my weight goes back down.

DJ: I wonder if it has to do with the arm movement involved in the elliptical that you aren''t doing on a treadmill.

Lorelei: 2 sizes!! Wowee zowee! Congrats to you.

Dinner last night was absolutely delicious. John made the most perfectly tender breaded pork chops for about 300 calories. We had asparagus and a green salad and boy was it YUMMY!

Today is a workout day. I''m looking forward to it! I''m in charge of dinner tonight, I have no clue what''s on the menu. It''s a good thing I have all day to figure it out!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
well after over indulging on food yesterday (why does penne a la vodka have to be soooo goooood!?!) i''m going to take advantage of the nice weather and go fast walking through the park. the cold weather is no where in sight this week so i have no excuse to sit on my butt this week....gotta get up and burn the fat! anyways its great that everyone is doing so well. i''m going to check out the thread on food...i''m looking to make a different healthy dish for dinner...i know yoou guys have great recipes so i''ll check it out...hopefully mara doesn''t have any new muffin recipes
2.gif
--even though they''re healthy i eat more than i should.
9.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I weigh myself once daily after I get up in the morning, as well. (OK, well sometimes I do it a few times in a row to make sure it''s accurate). I still have a lot of variability, though. One day I''ll be 2 pounds heavier than the day before, or one day I''ll suddenly drop a pound. This morning I was 3 pounds down from my starting weight, though, which made me psyched. We''ll see if it holds out tomorrow though.

Congrats, Lorelei on staying smoke-free for 8 months and for 2 sizes down to boot!

Longish workout planned for today - 50 minutes biking and then weights. Or vice versa. I had 2 slices of TJ''s bread with 2 tbl of chunky PB for breakfast. I tried to like Better''n PB, and it''s OK in oatmeal and such, but spread on toast it''s kind of nasty. The real stuff (that''s just peanuts and salt, with the oil poured off) is sooo much better. I think we''re having catered lunch again, so I will probably have a small portion of that and then a snack when I get home. Dinner is going to be "pizza" on flat-out flatbread with turkey pepperoni and veggies, which I''m looking forward to. My meal planning this week is entirely based on what I need to eat up out of the fridge before I leave on Thursday!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2007 11:39:19 AM
Author: basil
I weigh myself once daily after I get up in the morning, as well. (OK, well sometimes I do it a few times in a row to make sure it''s accurate). I still have a lot of variability, though. One day I''ll be 2 pounds heavier than the day before, or one day I''ll suddenly drop a pound. This morning I was 3 pounds down from my starting weight, though, which made me psyched. We''ll see if it holds out tomorrow though.

Congrats, Lorelei on staying smoke-free for 8 months and for 2 sizes down to boot!

Longish workout planned for today - 50 minutes biking and then weights. Or vice versa. I had 2 slices of TJ''s bread with 2 tbl of chunky PB for breakfast. I tried to like Better''n PB, and it''s OK in oatmeal and such, but spread on toast it''s kind of nasty. The real stuff (that''s just peanuts and salt, with the oil poured off) is sooo much better. I think we''re having catered lunch again, so I will probably have a small portion of that and then a snack when I get home. Dinner is going to be ''pizza'' on flat-out flatbread with turkey pepperoni and veggies, which I''m looking forward to. My meal planning this week is entirely based on what I need to eat up out of the fridge before I leave on Thursday!
Thank you!
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Monday, everyone!

So I tried those dulce de leche puddings Mara was talking about, and -- HEAVEN! Tastes just like flan but with pudding consistency instead of, well, flan consistency. SO delicious -- and only 60 calories! I can totally justify daily pudding now
1.gif

Couple of questions for you guys:

- After a long cardio workout, do you futher work out your legs on the machines? Or do you just focus more on the rest of the body, since legs tend to get a good workout on ellip, treadmill, stairs, etc. ? Lately, I''ve just been doing the elliptical and then abs and arms.

- For morning workout people, what do you eat beforehand? I can''t go with an empty stomach but I''m usually not hungry first thing in the morning and don''t like eating something just to eat something. Something like a Nutrigrain bar seems to work well for me, but I''m curious what other eat.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for chiming in re the weighing thing, i use the weight that i start at vs the one i end at in general but i was like yeah it''d be nice if i was 2 lbs lighter lol. when i do cardio only, i am 99% of the time 2 lbs lighter after a workout, but if i add in weights that day, typically i''m like the same as when i got on earlier or sometimes 1 lb heavier. kinda interesting. i also only use the one gym scale so it is not always at the same time because i am not at the gym the same time every day...but for the most part it''s pretty consistent. aka evening workouts during the week then a day workout on the weekend. but now that i am off i mix might it up a bit and go during the day more often when it''s less crowded.

re your question on working out with diff machines DJ...how i would imagine it is...diff machines work diff parts of your body...if your heart rate it means you are probably burning more on that machine than you would if it was lower...but it doesn''t mean that your burn is equal with every type of activity. my burn on walking is different from the elliptical is different from the treadmill is different from treadmill on a high incline. also it would probably also depend on what else your body is doing..aka arms, climbing, rather than just walking flat or similar. WHY...hmm i dunno. hehe.

ela...re: eating.. i eat breakfast every morning. first off it''s not good for you not to, and secondly everything i have ever read about weight loss suggests you start doing that...the idea is that when you wake up in the morning, your metabolism is at an all time low, your body has been resting for the last 7 or 8 hours. you need to give it a jolt and say WAKE UP...it''s time to start working. i have read that smells do that big time, aka if you smell coffee then your salivary glands wake up and then start telling the rest of the body ''hey food is coming, get up because we have to process it''. so i always have a breakfast, even if it''s something small...i try to keep my weekday breakfasts under about 210 cals but i mix them up and eat different things...if you are not hungry in the morning i would say eat something like a fiber one bar or a luna bar or a yogurt or just something to give your body a bit of fuel and get it to wake up. before workouts, i would definitely eat something like a luna bar or fiber one bar, something that has fiber, protein, some carbs, a little sugar, so that you can be fueled for your workout. or fresh fruit with a piece of toast. something that gives you more than one nutrient. oh and if i do something like 60 min cardio i don''t work out my legs anymore, i just do arms and back.

the last 2 days i have eaten breakfast then gone to the gym about 1.5 hours later and i find that my workouts were more ''powerful'' feeling and more fueled than when i go in the evenings after a long day at work. so i think my breakfasts have something to do with that for sure. this week when i do go in the morning i am going to make sure i eat a good breakfast that morning.

this morning, speaking of breakfast, i had a yummy one!! 2 nutrigrain waffles with smart balance spray, a bit of flaxseed sprinkled on (mostly for flavor, it gives them a nutty taste), sugar free syrup and then fresh sliced strawberries. YUM. 205 cals total including my coffee/milk.

basil, greg and i tried the better npb on toasted bagels this weekend and we both loved it! he is typically not a ''newfangled'' kinda food guy, he''d always much rather have regular normal stuff like regular pb or whatever, but the cals and fat in regular PB just totally turn me off now! i know it''s healthy fat but 16g of fat vs 2 in the betternpb? i don''t like regular PB *that* much hehe. and honestly i like sweeter things so the better n tastes like PB mixed with honey to me, right up my sweet tooth alley.

congrats lorelei and monarch on smoke free lives!! awesome lorelei re the 2 sizes smaller! and yes they do make sizes bigger now...kinda funny. i am like ''in what universe am i a size 2 now?''...it''s kinda funny.

on a random fun note though the other day greg gave me what was a compliment but i guess a less secure person might have been offended lol. he said ''you know i never had any idea that you were so small framed''....and i laughed and said ''me either!''...because it''s true. i still consider myself to have a medium frame because i am taller, my shoulders are wider, legs are longer, and arms are longer, i am not petite or small shouldered or anything like that. but the ''frame'' measurements where you overlap fingers all say i have a small frame and when he said that i thought it was interesting because i was kind of thinking the same thing too. in any case i guess it''s a testament to how different i look now...he quickly said ''not that you were big framed before..'' lol...yes thanks honey, but i totally agreed with him and it was nice to hear him say that and know he felt OKAY saying it...hehee.

okay and so ladies...vitalicious brownies i talked about yesterday? DIVINE. SERIOUSLY. i am already planning my next visit to safeway and how to store 4 boxes in my freezer. they are SO GOOD. first off 2 oz may sound small but it''s not. it''s the size of one of my snack muffins that i make. so a definite treat. and it has nuts on top. heated it in the micro for 30 seconds to thaw and warm it, put some mocha almond fudge slow churned on it, sugar free hersheys, fat free whipped. and OMG. chocolategasm. i swear to god this tasted so good. i was like i am NEVER having another full fat 800 cal brownie sundae at a restaurant again when i can come home and have one of these to the tune of 200 cals TOTAL. YES. oh and perk is that the brownie has 6g fiber, haha. and it''s got some other nutritional value, aka protein or something, and it''s like 1g of fat or something. but chocolicious for sure. there are 4 in a box...so i am like hmmm i may need another box this week. this has serious potential. oh did i mention the brownie is just 100 cals? and it''s about the size of oh...20 girl scout thin mints. yep.
5.gif
thank you hungrygirl!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lorelei! It''s tough but thankfully the weather here is improving and that has been a major boost to my mood, very helpful overall, in fact. I appreciate your encouragement, and you have been a great example for me!

Not much else to report here...just looking SO forward to getting home from work and walking again now that we have an extended amount of daylight in the evenings! Yay!
36.gif
have a great Monday everyone!
35.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 12:26:33 PM
Author: Mara
thanks for chiming in re the weighing thing, i use the weight that i start at vs the one i end at in general but i was like yeah it''d be nice if i was 2 lbs lighter lol. when i do cardio only, i am 99% of the time 2 lbs lighter after a workout, but if i add in weights that day, typically i''m like the same as when i got on earlier or sometimes 1 lb heavier. kinda interesting. i also only use the one gym scale so it is not always at the same time because i am not at the gym the same time every day...but for the most part it''s pretty consistent. aka evening workouts during the week then a day workout on the weekend. but now that i am off i mix might it up a bit and go during the day more often when it''s less crowded.

re your question on working out with diff machines DJ...how i would imagine it is...diff machines work diff parts of your body...if your heart rate it means you are probably burning more on that machine than you would if it was lower...but it doesn''t mean that your burn is equal with every type of activity. my burn on walking is different from the elliptical is different from the treadmill is different from treadmill on a high incline. also it would probably also depend on what else your body is doing..aka arms, climbing, rather than just walking flat or similar. WHY...hmm i dunno. hehe.

ela...re: eating.. i eat breakfast every morning. first off it''s not good for you not to, and secondly everything i have ever read about weight loss suggests you start doing that...the idea is that when you wake up in the morning, your metabolism is at an all time low, your body has been resting for the last 7 or 8 hours. you need to give it a jolt and say WAKE UP...it''s time to start working. i have read that smells do that big time, aka if you smell coffee then your salivary glands wake up and then start telling the rest of the body ''hey food is coming, get up because we have to process it''. so i always have a breakfast, even if it''s something small...i try to keep my weekday breakfasts under about 210 cals but i mix them up and eat different things...if you are not hungry in the morning i would say eat something like a fiber one bar or a luna bar or a yogurt or just something to give your body a bit of fuel and get it to wake up. before workouts, i would definitely eat something like a luna bar or fiber one bar, something that has fiber, protein, some carbs, a little sugar, so that you can be fueled for your workout. or fresh fruit with a piece of toast. something that gives you more than one nutrient. oh and if i do something like 60 min cardio i don''t work out my legs anymore, i just do arms and back.

the last 2 days i have eaten breakfast then gone to the gym about 1.5 hours later and i find that my workouts were more ''powerful'' feeling and more fueled than when i go in the evenings after a long day at work. so i think my breakfasts have something to do with that for sure. this week when i do go in the morning i am going to make sure i eat a good breakfast that morning.

this morning, speaking of breakfast, i had a yummy one!! 2 nutrigrain waffles with smart balance spray, a bit of flaxseed sprinkled on (mostly for flavor, it gives them a nutty taste), sugar free syrup and then fresh sliced strawberries. YUM. 205 cals total including my coffee/milk.

basil, greg and i tried the better npb on toasted bagels this weekend and we both loved it! he is typically not a ''newfangled'' kinda food guy, he''d always much rather have regular normal stuff like regular pb or whatever, but the cals and fat in regular PB just totally turn me off now! i know it''s healthy fat but 16g of fat vs 2 in the betternpb? i don''t like regular PB *that* much hehe. and honestly i like sweeter things so the better n tastes like PB mixed with honey to me, right up my sweet tooth alley.

congrats lorelei and monarch on smoke free lives!! awesome lorelei re the 2 sizes smaller! and yes they do make sizes bigger now...kinda funny. i am like ''in what universe am i a size 2 now?''...it''s kinda funny.

on a random fun note though the other day greg gave me what was a compliment but i guess a less secure person might have been offended lol. he said ''you know i never had any idea that you were so small framed''....and i laughed and said ''me either!''...because it''s true. i still consider myself to have a medium frame because i am taller, my shoulders are wider, legs are longer, and arms are longer, i am not petite or small shouldered or anything like that. but the ''frame'' measurements where you overlap fingers all say i have a small frame and when he said that i thought it was interesting because i was kind of thinking the same thing too. in any case i guess it''s a testament to how different i look now...he quickly said ''not that you were big framed before..'' lol...yes thanks honey, but i totally agreed with him and it was nice to hear him say that and know he felt OKAY saying it...hehee.

okay and so ladies...vitalicious brownies i talked about yesterday? DIVINE. SERIOUSLY. i am already planning my next visit to safeway and how to store 4 boxes in my freezer. they are SO GOOD. first off 2 oz may sound small but it''s not. it''s the size of one of my snack muffins that i make. so a definite treat. and it has nuts on top. heated it in the micro for 30 seconds to thaw and warm it, put some mocha almond fudge slow churned on it, sugar free hersheys, fat free whipped. and OMG. chocolategasm. i swear to god this tasted so good. i was like i am NEVER having another full fat 800 cal brownie sundae at a restaurant again when i can come home and have one of these to the tune of 200 cals TOTAL. YES. oh and perk is that the brownie has 6g fiber, haha. and it''s got some other nutritional value, aka protein or something, and it''s like 1g of fat or something. but chocolicious for sure. there are 4 in a box...so i am like hmmm i may need another box this week. this has serious potential. oh did i mention the brownie is just 100 cals? and it''s about the size of oh...20 girl scout thin mints. yep.
5.gif
thank you hungrygirl!!
i laughed when i read that...my moms a nurse and she loves to tell people who say they''re big boned and thats why they''re overweight---"have you ever seen a fat skeleton?"

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies,

I''ve been MIA due to being busy at work and getting all of the house stuff taken care of, not to mention the WWT thread grows so quickly that sometimes its too overwhelming to read everything.

In February I had a little lull in my workouts...I still did something at least once a week, but not 3x a week like I should (only 8 workouts that month). Now I''m back on track. Last week I had 3 big workouts...my regular Total Body class on Mon & Friday, and Wednesday I tried the Boot Camp class during lunch....it was really tough...although the hardest part was we have a long loading dock ramp that is fairly steep...and we had to hop up the ramp 3 times...I only made it two. After boot camp my abs and back were really sore and I got a good workout on Friday so I treated myself to a massage on Saturday (I got my bonus last week so excuses). I went to my Total Body class again today for another good workout. I''m going to try Boot Camp again on Wed b/c I have luncheons scheduled for Tues & Thurs and cant work out those days so this will make up for it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummalicious 60 cal find of the week: Jello minty fudge pudding cups!!! They taste like creamy Frango mints!!! I had TWO yesterday. Hey, this dieting stuff ain't all bad, LOL.

I'm at 760 cals for the day so far but my plans to work out just got blown away by a client. She wants to write her contract tonight instead of tomorrow night, but tomorrow I should be free after about 4:00 so I will have no reason not to get a good workout in. And hopefully I'll be able to get to the gym at least three times this week, maybe four depending on how my weekend shapes up. So many clients right now, so few hours in the day...

Lorelei, congrats to you on your 2 size drop!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i went to this local trail in late morning for a 2m walk...and ran into my old roommate with her 6 month baby, totally random! i haven''t seen her in about 5 years....we email and keep in touch and all that but what a small world. so it was nice to catch up with her. then went to trader joes and stocked up on goodies. i found the frozen cherries, mmmm...got more frozen oatmeal, lots more fage (hehe), bananas, chili and lime chicken burgers, chicken shu mai and some pizzas for tonite. oh and a few salads, i love 2-3 of their salads, they have things like shredded carrots, sunflower seeds etc and without the dressings they are only like 50 cals for the whole 9oz pack and i just use the TJ balsamic for 25 cals. yum. so i''ll have those for lunches this week along with some other things i have in the freezer.

for a lunch snack, i just had a 1/2 toasted wheat bagel with better n''peanut butter, yum!! my next snack in a few hours is going to be the 0% fage with low sugar strawberry jam, splenda, and granola.

i''m doing some errands around the house this afternoon and then some errands outside later and then taking portia for a walk around the neighborhoods to the tune of 1 mile...so i''ll do 3 miles total today...and today is an off day. lol. tonite i think we are having TJ pizzas and salads for dinner.

anyhow hope everyone is having a good monday!! lol re the skeleton nyc...totally! welcome back appletini and congrats on another house sold DJ!

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
HI! Is the better n'' peanut butter from trader joes as well?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Happy New Week Everyone
35.gif

Spring is in the air in the Boston area after 20 degree days last week. It makes the body
feel gooooood!! Just finished a rockem'' sockem'' boxing/jujitsu lesson with my instructor.

Ladies....you know how strongly I feel about learning how to protect yourself. You can
learn a few basic jujitsu holds that could save your life someday. It''s important and will give you
extra confidence. If you have a nearby martial arts academy, check into it.

Keep on TRACKin
2.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m joining in. I''m doing The Firm 3x a week in my basement . . . Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings before work. I also just got some dance exercise videos from Amazon, so I''m going to see if they''re good enough to work out to on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On the weekends I''m just going to try not to be a bum and to walk instead of drive.

I don''t feel comfortable in the gym, and our condo was really too small to work out in except over the summer when my husband was at work. So I got in really good shape two summers ago, and then have let it slide since then.

I''ve done it five times so far and really feel great. I used to feel really tired and need sugar pick me ups, but just in the short time I''ve been working I''ve felt really energetic, although a little sleep-deprived sometimes, especially since I''m adjusting to a new sleep schedule.

My goal is really just to be in shape, not to lose a certain amount of weight or anything. Last time I dropped pretty quickly from size 8 to size 6 pants, although my weight only dropped maybe 5 pounds with all the muscle I gained. So hopefully I can break out the size 6s in a couple of months.

So I just wanted to give a shout out. It always helps you stay motivated to tell other people what you''re doing. As long as it''s just my normal routine . . . wake up, exercise, go to work, I think it will work for me. It''s when I have to decide after work . . . hmmm, work out or veg out? that I get into trouble.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome phoenixgirl
35.gif

so things have been crazy for me the past few days and show no sign of slowing down. lots going on this week as well as getting ready to head out of town for spring break with the kids. I did however mangage to get to the gym and join so step one is complete. now i''ve got to make the time to go. I also really need new cross trainers or running shoes and some new workout clothes, any suggestions for good shoes?

anyway, that''s part of my errand running scheduled for the week. walked this a.m and going again tonight with hubby once he gets home.

we''ve been doing great on the food front. I made the lasagna again for a family get together on sunday and again it was a hit. I also made the chicken tarragon recipe and hubby LOVED it to. healty taco''s again tonight and keeping w/in the calorie goals for the day.

oh and DJ, i bought the mint pudding too. i haven''t tried them yet but maybe tonight for dessert.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep seven, you can get the bnp at trader joes...

jeff, glad to hear it's warm out where you are!! today is another 83ish degree day, i was just out sunning myself on the patio lol. trying to get some color!!

kudos mrs salvo for getting over to join and at least if you can't work out a lot yet you guys are committed to eating right. that is more than half the battle in my opinion!!

and it's so funny but every time someone says they made the lasagna, i SOOO want to make it!!! i have all the stuff basically, i got a kickin tomato the other day to keep in the pantry, i have baby bella and shitake's in the fridge that i used for something else, and 1/2 turkey and 1/2 gr. beef in the freezer. soo tempting. but it's just us two so we end up eating it for 2-3 days and i have other things planned for now, hehee. maybe this wkd.

welcome pheonix girl!! hopefully you'll find the thread helpful (though it can get a little fast moving at times!).

just went and did a little patio gardening and sat outside for a bit and ate my fage treat, gosh i really love that mix. if anyone likes yogurt parfaits, this is basically one but for a lot more of a substantial feel than the ones i have had previously from fast food places or sbucks. theirs is 340 cals and it's basically the same stuff and size...but mine is 200 cals.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippie! I''ve lost 4.5 lbs since I "weighed in" on March 1st ... 12 days! Blah, blah - water weight & the end of TTOTM but I''m still excited. I wasn''t really expecting ANY movement since I upped my activity too - figuring muscle weight would even any weight loss out -- but HA! I guess I''m not working out hard enough to gain muscle!

And I''m back at the treadmill today - 40 min ... & have been doing my Sparkpeople calorie counting every day for about eight days now ...

Also excited ''cause it''s warmer & sunnier here FINALLY. I feel like I''ve been hibernating this winter and I am SO. OVER. IT.

Have to catch up on everyone else''s progress by *actually reading* this thread -- I just couldn''t wait to POST!
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Lorelei on the small skirt!! I love it when something fits that didnt before (I had the same thing with a pair of jeans today!Woohoo!!)

Thats great loss Deco! Well done!

Ive been really busy in college so havent had much time to post. Ive still been at the gym three times a week, doing the cross trainer, running and weights. Ive lost 21 lbs now since jan so Im thrilled and really looking forward to NY now in July that I can buy a whole new wardrope. Just need to keep the weight loss up. Its not difficult at all now to stick to my healthy eating and going to the gym has just become part of my weekly routine so Im hopeful that I can keep it up!

Hope everyone has a good week

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it is far past time I stopped avoiding these threads!

I have been seeing them pop up every week and beating myself up with the Catholic-driven guilt about how I NEED to get on here...and then beating myself up more because I haven''t done anything about the reckless abandon with which I''ve been eating and the total lack of exercise!

I have struggled with excess weight for most of my life but I got really healthy and trim a few years ago...really watched what I ate and worked out vigilantly, took up running, trained for and ran a marathon, etc. Total lifestyle change. I was ''never going back.'' And then I moved to California, land of the fit, home of the trim, and I met my DH and totally fell off the wagon with reckless abandon like a woman in love. Didn''t go to the gym because he didn''t want to and I wanted to spend time with him....got taken out to fancy dinners all the time, and year after year, day after day, the weight crept back on. All of it. A lot.

And that made me upset and depressed about it and I would try to get him to go walking with me in the morning or to the gym, and he never wanted to. I would try to get up in the morning and go by myself but seriously, the magnetism of a warm fluffy bed, with a down comforter, and my husband in it was more than I could bear. So many more months of inactivity passed.

And I''m so over it!! I hate being out of shape and overweight and I won''t even go near a scale. Not even near one! Don''t even own one. Never have, even when I was really in shape. I would weigh myself periodically at the gym. I will find out this week at the doctor''s (yearly exam) and then tuck that heinous number away and remember it as the ''before.'' I have been watching what I eat and working out 4 times a week for the last 2 weeks, and I have felt so much better. I made a pact with my coworker that we have to tell each other every day what we ate, and what we did for exercise. Being held accountable is working wonders for that hard-to get motivation at the onset.

Having at least set out on the health track has FINALLY allowed me to click on these threads and read them! And I''m coming out of lurkdom.
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats to all the weight loss people, and you ex smokers!! (I hope to be one some day, again). And a big woohoo on 2 sizes down Miss Lorelei!
emotion-19.gif

FG, congrats on making a decision. And good luck on your journey, and it IS that. Something that''s been said many times in these threads is, we didn''t gain it overnight, and we can''t lose it overnight. When you truly understand that and accept it, it makes things much easier!! Good for you.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay deco and bee for weight loss!!! bee 21 pounds is amazing! deco i''m proud of you girl, stick with it! it does make it easier to keep going when you see progress in one way or another (not always scale related!).

welcome FG! i hear ya re: the whole in denial thing or not wanting to own up to it...i was like that too after we got married, before that i was really fit and healthy and afterwards i just was like ''i want to take a break from that'' and ate up a storm of bad unhealthy things. don''t know what i thought, that somehow i had a magical 15 year old metabolism now that i was married, hahaa. well NOT. i thought i had about 10lbs to lose...but when i really got going, that turned into 20lbs when all was said and done. so i am MUCH happier now with my body, i haven''t been this fit and trim since high school/college...way back when you don''t really know enough to APPRECIATE the body you have. well i''m appreciating it now. but it takes consistent work. i still splurge a fair amount being a total foodie, it''s a requirement, but i know my limits. and i just keep working out.

gotta throw a rave in here for the sorbet that TJ''s sells, i am not sure what brand it is, but i got a passion fruit flavor a while ago and forgot i had it in the freezer. nice afternoon treat, anyway it is REALLY yummy with some sugar-free hersheys syrup on it. i could even put it on then freeze it as a ''shell''...mmm. that is like this dessert we had at a thai place recently, chocolate covered sorbet balls. SO divine. and 1/2c of sorbet is only 80 cals. yum.

taking P out for her walk in a little while to get my last mile in today. i added it all up and if i do these walks on the days i don''t ''work out'' then i''ll actually bump my total cals burned this week to about 3300. the last few weeks have been 2500-2700ish. kinda fun experiment, let''s see if i can do it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Welcome FG and phoenix! This a great place to find motivation as well as an understanding of loving great food!

Deco: Don''t cut yourself short, it''s quite feasible for you to have lost 4.5 lbs and have it not be water weight! Good for you!!! Celebrate the victories, big and small, don''t negate them!

So I did my 500 calories burned on the elliptical and then went for a short walk this afternoon w/ John. We''re having tamale pie for dinner, YUM! OVerall a low-cal day for me, 1350.

Tomorrow is a crazy day, I''m subbing and then it''s our monthly theatre evening so we''ll be going out to dinner, somewhere. It''s up to J to decide. I won''t be able to get my 30 minutes in as I get home at 4 and we have to leave at 4:30 for the play, just enough time for me to freshen up. BUMMER!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome Phoenixgirl! Welcome FireGoddess! Yeay, DecoDelighted on 4.5 pound loss!

Well, lunch ended up not being catered, so I got some Italian wedding soup and a small salad with FF italian at the cafeteria. It''s annoying how the caf only publishes the number of fat grams in their dishes, and not the calories. Plus, I don''t think they''re particularly accurate, considering that at one time I saw a "turkey reuben" sandwich which was grilled in some sort of butter/oil, was dripping in thousand island dressing, and probably had 2 slices of swiss on it and was listed at 8g of fat. Anyway, the soup was supposedly 2g of fat, but I logged it as if I had eaten a can of Progresso soup (which has 12g of fat), cause it didn''t taste much different. Snack was a 0% fage with a tsp of blackberry jam. Dinner was flat-out pizza with turkey pepperoni and parmesan. Puts me at about 1300 for the day. I might have a piece of TJ''s organic 73% dark chocolate, but I''m not really in the mood for a full snack right now.

Anyway, it''s been in the 40s here during the day, but I can''t believe it''s 80s elsewhere! Lucky!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So I made tamale pie for dinner. J was going to the store and left ingredients on the counter for me as he was checking to be sure I didn''t need anything. I mistook the red pepper to be chili powder (he only left red pepper on the counter and he told me, while he was pulling ingredients that he did so as he uses a dash to replace tabasco) and it was HOT! Stupid me. He ate his serving, and his nose ran the entire time. I ate about 3/4 of mine, but it was all I could take. Again, stupid me.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

Am so frustrated these days. Work is OK, but just strange lately. And I''ve been getting these odd feelings and wondering what I''ve done. Maybe, I''m just over sensitive since thinking there might be a chance to go home, and I''m not a patient person, but I feel something is brewing and some kind of change is heading our way. Guess, we''ll just have to wait it out, but man, do I wish my life was settled.

Couldn''t have my normal Monday night Sushi with Charlie tonight. Found out at the last minute that I had to go out to dinner with my boss and a couple of new employees, so I was somewhat annoyed that no one bothered to let me know until today that my pressence was required. And we went to an Italian restaurant and the only thing I could find that seemed not too fattening was the grilled salmon over veggies and mashed potato. Even that seemed too fattening when it arrived, but it was at least tasty. I ate the fish and the veggies, but left most of the mashed potato as it was too salty anyway.

It makes for a really long day when you get to work before 8 AM and don''t home till 10 PM. So, a long day indeed.

Tomorrow, we''ll be back on track and we''ll meet at the gym after work like normal.

So, DeeJay, I don''t think the treadmill and elliptical will burn the exact same amount of calories because they use different muscles and the ellitpical (at least most ellipticals) involve upper and lower body workouts.

Ellaila, I do a full body workout at the gym, which includes core strength training, followed by machines for legs, then upper body (there are many machines and free weights and even pushups I do), then I do my cardio on the elliptical. While I may be getting some more leg work in, I don''t think of cardio as leg work. I think of it as exercising my heart muscle and if my legs become a little more toned along the way, that''s just goodness!!

Congrats on the weight loss Deco!!! Way to go.

And finally, welcome to our healthy family here Firegoddess. Glad you''ve come out of lurkdom and I hope you find family and comfort here like many of us!!
35.gif
36.gif

Have a good Tuesday everyone!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2007 10:30:54 AM
Author: Lorelei
You are doing the right thing by weighing after going pp as that way you get your true weight Dee!

I am wondering about your calorie question, I wonder if it is a physics thing whereas the elliptical works more with resistance to burn more calories than the treadmill.....
34.gif
Lisa where are you?
9.gif
I agree with Lorelei Dee. Everything I've read says weigh yourself the same time of day and preferrably after going to the bathroom!
31.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Well I will rejoin this thread after a month of pain and suffering but the good news is I have lost 2 kilos and 4 cms total mostly off my thighs
36.gif
I had planned to have Febuary as and alcohol free month to really get those scales moving. I only want to lose 10 lbs and am a size 8-10 now. But like Mara mentioned too I actually have a small frame and I really look my best at about 55 -58 kilos. However being realistic I think that as someone in their late 40's a more attainable and better looking in the face weight for me is about 60-62 kilos and that is the sort of weight i am aiming for.
Anyhow the reason the past month has been so bad and I did'nt abstain from alcohol because I slipped on a grape in the supermarket and landed flat bang on my butt. I was very sore bu didn't have a mark on me and thought I was OK. But i had had pain when i did floor work at Pilates so I went to my chiro/accupunturist and I have a fixated sacro illace joint (whatever that is). So the nightly glass of chardonnay or two helped with the healing
Its not how I imagined February to be for me but despite this I managed some pretty good weight loss by using the elliptical for 30 minutes every day and watching my calorie intake.
Hopefully march will be even better and who know by easter I might be close to my goal.
Thanks to all you guys for your hints and inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results