shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding rings for him...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jumbo

Rough_Rock
My GF was asking me what type of band I''d like. I was really sold on Titanium or Tungsten, but after hearing a horror story (let''s just say a guy had a ti. band and his ring finger got swollen with the band still on...), I''m thinking of just getting a softer metal like white gold so if I ever had a problem, it can be removed by a doctor.

What do you think? I still like the looks/prices of ti./tung., but am worried that something horrible might happen some day.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
the "can''t be cut off" thing is apparently a myth!

from www.e-weddingbands.com:

Can a Titanium ring be cut off?

Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where it might become necessary to cut off a Titanium ring - for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc., - cutting through titanium will be more difficult than cutting through gold or platinum. However, it can still be done. In our own jewelry shop, we used a separating disc and flexible shaft tool-items commonly found in nearly all jewelry shops that work with gold, silver, and platinum--to cut through one of our 5mm domed and comfort fit titanium rings. Cutting it all the way through took only 20 seconds. Next, we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to cut off a titanium ring in an emergency. Most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and ours assured us that it would be no problem for them.

During our 30+ years of jewelry repair experience, we''ve only seen a dozen or so rings that have been cut off in hospital emergency rooms, and in most of those cases the rings had been bent out-of-round and were putting painful pressure on the finger. Titanium rings are less likely to crush or bend out-of-round, so if you shut your hand in a car door or drop a heavy object on it, it might be safer to be wearing a titanium ring than a precious metal band! Nonetheless, if you ever need your Titanium ring cut off, just contact a local jeweler that uses separating discs. Please check with your local medical facility if you have concerns.

I too was scared when I heard that but I have since been convinced that there''s no truth to it, so that''s what my fiance is getting! So I say get whatever you think looks best and don''t worry about that part of it!
1.gif

gemologygal

Rough_Rock
Definitly don''t worry about something that may never happen - you should go ahead and enjoy what you like/what you want. Like the post right above mine, there is a way to remove it if there is a slim chance of something happening.
1.gif

FD21Bride

Shiny_Rock
Here is my Hubby''s wedding ring... it is Tungsten with a white gold inlay made by Bruce Boone. We have never been concerned with the "can''t get the ring off in an emergency" hype. With my husband working as a firefighter- we were looking for something durable to withstand the abuse it would take on a daily basis and it''s held up great!
Also, tungsten is fairly brittle from what I understand and can be cracked with vice grips if needed to remove it! I am a nurse and have NEVER heard of a doc cutting off a finger because they couldn''t get a ring off!
21.gif

Buy what you both like- especially since he''ll be wearing it forever! Good luck!

IMG_0243_1D.JPG

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
DH has a titanium ring and he loves it. It''s very light and was the best choice for him as he''s a scientist and works extensively with his hands.

We had also heard about the "it cannot be cut off" myth, but the jeweler we bought the ring from told us the truth.

It''s an attractive option, and I hope you don''t rule it out because of what you heard.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results