shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding planning whirlwind tour ''06

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I just had the most productive week. I booked the B&B for my fiance's family and OOT guests (and alternate wedding site in the event of rain), chartered the boat for the wedding, met with the photographer, bought a wedding dress, looked at wedding rings, celebrated my parents' 40th anniversary and the 4th of July, AND hung out with both Aljdewey and Sumbride.

Now, all I have to do is wait a year...
40.gif

I walked into the B&B (The Charles Hovey House, in Gloucester, MA) and fell in love with the place. Big, elegant but comfortable rooms, high ceilings, antique furniture, amazing views, cool hideaway bridal suite, nice owner. Here's a couple of pics.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Front of the B&B. The square tower room is the room we''ll probably use as the bridal suite. It''s small, but has a 360 degree view of the town and the harbor.

Hoveyth.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
View from the tower room and the interior. I was sneaking the pics, and didn''t have enough time to get better shots. It was a really cool, foggy day, and I loved the way the harbor looked.

bsuite.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Parlor-the wedding will be in here in case of really bad weather.

parlor.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Another view from the front porch. So New England-y...

I really hope no one minds me posting all these pics...I''m just excited that everything seems to be falling into place.

frontview.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Selkie,

It sounds you had an amazingly productive and positive week, I''m so happy for you. The place is gorgeous!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
J and I also drove up to Portland to meet Stan, the jeweler who made my ring, and to look at wedding bands. There were so many options. To save money, we might just get plain platinum bands and upgrade later, but it was nice to see the coordinating styles. They took polaroids (!) of each of our top 2 or 3 choices, so that we can have a reminder as we narrow it down. It was fun, and it was amusing to see the shoe on the other foot as J tried to figure out what he liked, after my weeks of agonizing over the e-ring. He really likes this wide band with a narrow center strip engraved with the pattern that matches my ring.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about posting pictures....we love them! Everything you''ve posted so far looks beautiful. Will there be any pictures of the dress?
9.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Dress pics coming up. I went shopping with my Mom, which was guaranteed to be interesting anyway, since we often have completely opposite taste in clothing. Naturally, she HATED the original dress I wanted to see, thought it looked like something her grandmother would wear
20.gif
. Luckily, I didn''t like it that much in person either. I also tried on a gorgeous Maggie Sottero, but it was really too heavy. I wanted something super-light and comfortable.

The one I ended up with was on the sale rack, and is a little too small, so I won''t be posting try-on pics for a while, but hopefully this will suffice for now. Here are the catalog pics first. It''s organza over satin, and has a corset back. I wasn''t planning to go strapless, but I was less self-conscious than I thought I would be in it. I can always add straps too, I suppose.

dressBRO.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Front pic

BROfront.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Embroidery detail-cranberry beads with silver and ivory embroidery.

embdet.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Selkie, it's beautiful! I love the delicate embroidery.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Selkie! You got so much accomplished! Now only 380ish days to wait, huh?
2.gif
07-28-07 is going to creep up sooner than we expect though, date twin!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Dang, Girl! You''ve been a busy bee.

I LOVE all your choices- the venue & dress are fab.

I too I experienced some of the same things you did- being overwhelmed at all the choice of bands to go with my e-ring, and deciding to go strapless. Funny how you have a pic in your head as far as how you THINK *things* will look, and then it gets switched up later once you see/try on the real deal!

Glad that everything''s coming together!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
How funny that you didn''t like the dream dress after all! Photos are definitely not the same as real life, eh?

Congrats on getting everything done and on doing it so beautifully. The detail on that dress is abolutely gorgeous!

tcpurple

Rough_Rock
WOW, you got alot accomplished!! Congrats! Each piece accomplished is a weight lifted. The dress is gorgeous! I have also discovered that pictures and the real thing on differ.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2006 10:59:32 AM
Author: equestrienne
Wow, Selkie! You got so much accomplished! Now only 380ish days to wait, huh?
2.gif
07-28-07 is going to creep up sooner than we expect though, date twin!

You know it! I don''t know where the last six months have gone, it''s really just flown by.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot one thing! My dad offered to let us use his ''31 Model A Ford convertible as the "getaway" car. It''s been in storage for several years, but he and J worked on it and got it running. It needs some serious cleaning up, but it will be SOOO much fun if it works out.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Wow Selkie! I just love your gown, partic the delicate touch of color! Who designed it?

Whoowhee, you''re certainly efficient!
9.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 11:27:56 AM
Author: IndieJones
Wow Selkie! I just love your gown, partic the delicate touch of color! Who designed it?

Whoowhee, you''re certainly efficient!
9.gif

Welcome to the BIWs, Indie! I really didn''t have any choice but to be efficient, since I had only a week in Mass. to make so many arrangements. I''m amazed that we still managed to have some fun, too.

The dress is a Bridal Originals (www.bridaloriginals.com). I like that color is "in" for dresses now. All my favorites had some color in them, either blue, mocha, or red.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!! I love the B&B youre staying at--what a view! You should have such a great time there! You can''t go wrong--either the ship or the B&B.

The dress is beautiful! Congrats on finding one!

Dang--what are you gonna do for the next year? Hmmm.....

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Selkie!
Good work! I admire your efficiency! Oh how I miss New England! Your pictures are divine. Hold on girl, a year goes by super fast! Take it from me, I thought I had forever... now forever has creeped up on me! Good for you for getting so much done.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Selkie -

Even M was amazed at how fast you got everything done and yet still had time to run into us every 15 minutes or so. We had a great time with you and J, and the whole family, over the weekend! I don''t think M was too overwhelmed with the all the wedding and ring chat. He maintains that he was NOT freaked out in the jewelry store even though I thought he was. After he met AlJ he started asking more about "this website thing you met on" because somehow I''d given him the impression that it was just for whining about not being married yet and I had to explain to him that it wasn''t really that at all... that was just a subset... that the whole site was about diamonds and jewelry and how to get the best diamond, etc. Then he actually seemed interested, though I may have to change my name if I show him the site!
2.gif

The boat was AMAZING and I''m sure your wedding will just be gorgeous! The Model A... WOW! That''s such a neat touch! Did you ever work out the catering situation?

Sum

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sum, I'm glad you guys had fun too. It was great to hang out with everyone! I was talking to my friend and listing all the stuff we did (in *addition* to the planning) and realizing what a crazy busy time it really was. Did you make it to the airport OK? J just barely made his flight because he had the time wrong AND we hit traffic.
20.gif

The Gloucester House Restaurant (the place that was under construction right next to the boat) caters, and can serve as an alternate reception location if it rains, so I'm planning to talk to them soon.

I meant to get your email before we left, but I can get it from Jen, if that's cool with you.

Your Napa trip is soon, isn't it?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yep, the California tour kicks off in less than 3 weeks! We''ll be starting out in San Diego to attend a wedding, then up to SF, then Napa. I''m hopeful but trying not to think about it TOO much as "that''s it" because he''s certainly not giving any more hints. I''m on a self-imposed "SHHH!!!" about it, hoping maybe that will let him think I''m not expecting it then? I have no idea... just don''t want to be dissapointed if it isn''t the time since it will be such a fab trip anyway! Hopefully I''ll have some news around the 6th of August.

Glad to hear the rain site might be squared away. It was going to be a mess trying to juggle two different caterers!

We actually spent a lot of time at the airport because though traffic was bad, D started out way early so we didn''t have any trouble with that part, but the weather in Philly was a disaster and they told us that our flight would be delayed by 3 hours! Fortunately an earlier-scheduled flight was set to leave about an hour before our original flight and it wasn''t full so they put us on that so we could make our connection. We got home fine, but our luggage didn''t show up until well into the next day. Oh well, at least we were coming home. I barely had time to do laundry before I left town again, but it worked out.

Definitely ask Jen for my email! I don''t want to post it here, but she can share it!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Ladies......REALLY enjoyed meeting both of you and cruising! What a beautiful night we had for sailing!

Summer, that''s hysterical about M.....must have really thrown him to meet someone from PS that''s *already* married - LOL. Hope things go smoothly for you and that the wait isn''t long!

Selkie......your dress is gorgeous! Really had an awesome time with you, J, and your mom. Wish we''d had more time to chat everyone up!

Congrats on your progress.....knew it would go well. :)

I''m heading off to Vegas for the week, but wanted to pop before we leave and say what a great time we had with you ladies!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
AlJ, you were what threw him! He could understand how I could still be talking to Selkie since she''s engaged, but when I corrected him and said you were married, he said "well, then, what is she doing on that site?" The love of jewelry is a lifelong adventure... doesn''t just stop with "I Do"!

Selkie, I meant to ask you why you didn''t go with the one you posted a few weeks ago... it''s really funny that your mom didn''t like it, but I think this one is fabulous! And since it is less clingy you should be more comfortable just standing in it. Are you going to do a bustle? I wondering what the train will be like on the boat, but I''m sure you can find a way to deal! I mean, how often do you wear a wedding dress on a schooner? Once!!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Well, I can add "Get a brutal cold" to the list of things I did last week.
29.gif
. The girl next to me on the plane spent 4.5 hours hacking and sniffling, and I knew I was doomed. Even liberal doses of Airborne didn''t help.

Sum, I''ll keep my fingers crossed for engagement by August 6! PS is great for so many reasons, not the least of which is the abundant eye candy. Aside from that, it''s just a friendly place where a lot of really smart, funny, and helpful people hang out and give good information.

I didn''t like the lace on the Jacquelin dress I posted earlier, it was too heavy looking. I was stunned when the sales consultant told me the store''s price for it-$1200! I think it had to be a mistake, since I''d seen it online for $600 ($850 MSRP). Man, was she disappointed when she found out my ACTUAL price range! I''m really happy with the one I got, it''s so light. I''ll bustle the train for the sail. Only the organza overlay needs to be bustled, the satin underdress is floor length. It should be really easy to do. I like that it has the lace-up corset back, it''s pretty forgiving. It''s got plenty of seam allowance if I need it, and needs no hemming at all. Love it!

Alj, have a great time in Vegas. I''m really glad I got to meet you and R. I think I might have called him Tom at one point, I''m sorry if I did! Wish we could have sailed longer than two hours! Hmmm, east coast Pricescope get-together charter...?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Hey Selkie -

Hope you''re feeling better now! I always get sick when I fly long distances! Too many germs, bad air, stress, etc... No fun!

I love the dress you picked out and I think the bustle of the lace will be lovely! What a shock on the price of the other! It''s great to be an informed consumer, eh? I remember when my sister was shopping for her dress... she went to one store and tried on maybe 10 and bought the most expensive one. Ah, to be a princess. She was. It was covered in beading and lace and poufy off the shoulder sleeves and a big old train and a head piece and it was 1990... and she was only 24, so it all "made sense". I''m glad those days are past! Simple is better!

Sum

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
everything looks so beautiful! The year really will go by fast.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results