shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Dress Vent

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just say I hate wedding dress shopping! Anyone else with me? Or is anyone also struggling to find their dream dress?

I know exactly what I want, but I just can't seem to find it. I've found one that was close but required a few too many changes than I was comfortable with, and another that I loved but was wayyyyy over what I want to spend and never going to happen. And it's not like I'm looking for anything weird - just a super fitted lace dress that doesn't have an empire waist or beading/sequins. Ugh is that too much to ask. :(

/rant

Thanks for listening!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
See, it's always so close but not quite. I actually cannot pull off a trumpet dress. I guess when I say super fitted, I mean through the chest, waist and hips.

This is pretty much what I am looking for, but without the insane price tag. I would add a sash too, so it would look even better. Ahhh, if only I could just get this. :razz:

hjelm.jpg

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I wore Priscilla of Boston Nora (Vineyard Collection) - entirely made of alencon lace, no beads or sequins whatsoever. It is "fit and flare" with a sweetheart neckline, has a short train, and comes with detachable cap sleeves, which I wore for the ceremony.

I bought it second hand from preownedweddingdresses.com for less than half the retail price.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty Pleasure said:
I wore Priscilla of Boston Nora (Vineyard Collection) - entirely made of alencon lace, no beads or sequins whatsoever. It is "fit and flare" with a sweetheart neckline, has a short train, and comes with detachable cap sleeves, which I wore for the ceremony.

I bought it second hand from preownedweddingdresses.com for less than half the retail price.

Very pretty and close to what I'm looking for. Did you wear it strapless? Did it stay up well without the sleeves? I need to look at this one more. Thanks!!!

I've been scouring preownedweddingdresses.com religiously in search of a jim hjelm, but it's hard to find one even close to the length I need. I'm 6'1 so not many choices out there for me. Great site, though, if you are a more common size. I'm jealous of anyone that can shop on there. :)

ETA: Oh no, I just saw the price. I would definitely need to find a used or sample, and even then it might still be too much. :( See how annoying this is?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the dress I tried on that was close, but needed a little too many changes. I hate the sash and brooch, but it's possible they might be able to be removed. My biggest concern was the boning in the torso area. It gave the stomach a weird line where it ended. Any opinions?

da vinci.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Yeah that corset is ruining the line of the dress. Can you wear it without?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
What about the Casablanca 1918? http://www.cabridal.com/scripts/brideview.asp?idproduct=17531

I know that Casablanca can customize gowns by changing out tops and bottoms (ie: I want the top from this dress with the bottom of this dress) as well as adding and subtracting beading/lace/appliques, etc. The prices are also extremely reasonable, even for customizing the dress. I think it may be worth looking into.

Also, with many of the dresses that have been "close", have you asked the sales associate if they can be done without beading/appliques? Many bridal lines do special orders...everyone wants you to have your perfect dress, afterall!

Best of luck!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
calibali said:
Guilty Pleasure said:

Very pretty and close to what I'm looking for. Did you wear it strapless? Did it stay up well without the sleeves? I need to look at this one more. Thanks!!!

I've been scouring preownedweddingdresses.com religiously in search of a jim hjelm, but it's hard to find one even close to the length I need. I'm 6'1 so not many choices out there for me. Great site, though, if you are a more common size. I'm jealous of anyone that can shop on there. :)

ETA: Oh no, I just saw the price. I would definitely need to find a used or sample, and even then it might still be too much. :( See how annoying this is?

It stayed up fine, and i didn't alter the fit at all. It would have fit even better with alterations. How about this Casablanca (I think 1827) I tried on when shopping. It was 750 full price at my salon, so you could get it for even less with a deal. It was so light too, which would have been nice! http://www.casablancabridal.com/collections/view/5/84

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
calibali said:
Can I just say I hate wedding dress shopping! Anyone else with me? Or is anyone also struggling to find their dream dress?

Definitely agreed. At least here in Australia, there are stacks of dresses that all just look the same. The beading's slightly different, or the lace is slightly different, but to me, they were all very 'meh'. One solution is to go through the bridesmaids catalogues - many of those dresses can be made in white/ivory, and some manufacturers don't charge a surcharge either! They certainly look different, and in my view, a lot more interesting.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cali,

What is your price point?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, busy weekend. Thanks for chiming in everyone!

The Casablanca dresses are nice, but I don't think they have the shape or pattern I'm looking for. They have an intricate look to them, and I really just want the same lace pattern all the way straight down without any poof at the bottom (flowy yes, poofy no). I have asked about removing beads, sequins and belts from other dresses I've tried on and I have yet to find one where the designer would do it. Hmph.

Magenta - I was starting to think I was alone in my struggles. I totally agree that most of the dresses out there are so blah and I always wonder who is buying such "interesting" creations. Have you found any that you are remotely interested in? Please post here if you'd like!

House Cat - I really want to stay below 1k. I know it's a low price point, but I don't need the finest lace or anything since no one will ever see my dress in person. I just want it to be the right shape and fit well - I figure that will be enough to look good in pics.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
calibali said:
Magenta - I was starting to think I was alone in my struggles. I totally agree that most of the dresses out there are so blah and I always wonder who is buying such "interesting" creations. Have you found any that you are remotely interested in? Please post here if you'd like!

I've no idea. And in fact, from the recent weddings i've been to / seen on facebook, none of the bridal gowns I see on the girls are what I saw in the shops! Beaded and/or lacy? Yes, a bit, but nothing like the heavy satin of the shop dresses!

I quite like the henry roth designs - cayla looks particularly pretty, but do check both bridal and bridesmaids. I'm not sure how far they get sold out of Australia. There was also a lovely "catch the bouquet" dress (no idea if I can link it, but it was the "Custom gown for Jenny M"), which is effectively copies of dresses made in China. Ethics questions aside, that's another option.

As for me personally, I was going to wear a dress I already had, but was told that was unacceptable (after we set the wedding date, 6 weeks out from the wedding! Gah!), and sent to a dressmaker, so I'm having a satin back crepe top and mermaid skirt. And some large swarovski crystal fire opal-coloured jewellery to match in with the engagement ring. Quite pretty! I find out if the wedding ring will actually work with the engagement ring next week - exciting!

calibali said:
House Cat - I really want to stay below 1k. I know it's a low price point, but I don't need the finest lace or anything since no one will ever see my dress in person. I just want it to be the right shape and fit well - I figure that will be enough to look good in pics.

I've got to agree with this - a lot of the prices are crazy - I could buy a completely new, high spec television, or a completely new, high spec computer, or I could buy one dress.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would look at some Allure bridals gowns. Some of them have beading, but not all. They will definitely have some things at your price point, or a little above it. I'd also check out Essence of Australia. Their lace is usually a little beaded, but it's not heavy beading at all.

You MIGHT be able to find some Blue by Enzoani's, depending on the stores prices. Some of their lace gowns are around 1200 and they rarely add beading to their lace. You may also be able to find something from Pronovias.

Honestly, though, I think something is going to have to give if you don't find something within those designers (or others similar) doesn't work out. I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. With your height, you will most likely need to order a custom length. Sample's will be too short on you so sample sales are out.. as well as buying something pre-owned. Most of the designers who do lace with no beading have higher price points. If your budget were 1500, you'd have more options. Have you tried on dresses with beading? Sometimes it's not as bad as you may think.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Preownedweddingdresses.com has hundreds of dresses that are under a thousand dollars and above 6' in height with shoes.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Magenta - wow, it seems like you're having even more problems than me! From what I can tell, your wedding is coming up soon, right? What kind of dress did you want to wear but were told it was unacceptable? I ask because my FI doesn't even want me to wear a wedding dress since it will only be the two of us, so I'm just curious what you had in mind.

Hope your rings fit well together!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl said:
I would look at some Allure bridals gowns. Some of them have beading, but not all. They will definitely have some things at your price point, or a little above it. I'd also check out Essence of Australia. Their lace is usually a little beaded, but it's not heavy beading at all.

You MIGHT be able to find some Blue by Enzoani's, depending on the stores prices. Some of their lace gowns are around 1200 and they rarely add beading to their lace. You may also be able to find something from Pronovias.

Honestly, though, I think something is going to have to give if you don't find something within those designers (or others similar) doesn't work out. I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. With your height, you will most likely need to order a custom length. Sample's will be too short on you so sample sales are out.. as well as buying something pre-owned. Most of the designers who do lace with no beading have higher price points. If your budget were 1500, you'd have more options. Have you tried on dresses with beading? Sometimes it's not as bad as you may think.

I don't think this was mean at all - I appreciate all the knowledge you have about the designers and different price points. I completely understand that I could go out tomorrow and buy the perfect dress if I wanted to spend a little more, but I'm just not willing to throw the money away like that. If I were having a traditional wedding, absolutely, but it just doesn't make sense for me so I'm looking for a good deal. If it doesn't exist, so be it.

The issue I have with beading is the weight. I have to carry this dress on three different flights (just to get to my destination) so I want it as light as possible. Plus, a heavy dress just doesn't feel very beachy to me. I'm one choosy beggar.

But I will take a look at the brands you recommended. Thank you for your help!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty Pleasure said:
Preownedweddingdresses.com has hundreds of dresses that are under a thousand dollars and above 6' in height with shoes.

I stalk that site like nobody's business - it might as well be my homepage at this point. I love a good deal. :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok...more suggestions...(sorry to suggest so many but hopefully you will find something or some idea that you like!)

http://www.venusbridal.com/bridals/venus/7098 (looks like beading may be minimal?)
http://www.venusbridal.com/bridals/venus/889003 (might be too much beading)

I tried on a Forever Yours plain lace dress at a salon...I can't find it online and don't know the style number but I know that there is a dress out there with no beading!

http://www.bestbridalprices.com/alexia-wedding-dresses-style-1055-p-33558.html?cPath=1&designers=3&zenid=904dd8bcebf3bb49c6d083a01119d972
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/eden-informal-wedding-dresses-style-1320-p-18143.html?cPath=1&designers=50&fabric=5
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/claudine-wedding-dresses-style-demi-7739-p-68191.html?cPath=1&fabric=5&prHigh=1000&prLow=800
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/moonlight-valerie-couture-wedding-dresses-style-h1122-p-65659.html?cPath=1&fabric=5&prHigh=1000&prLow=800
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/raylia-wedding-gowns-style-w2309l-p-38787.html?cPath=1&fabric=5&prHigh=1000&prLow=800
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/wtoo-wedding-dresses-style-natalia-12421-p-38431.html?cPath=1&fabric=5&prHigh=1000&prLow=800 (really like this one)

anyway I don't know anything about best bridal prices but they let you search by <1000 and lace so you may find some designers/styles that you could try on at a local salon! good luck finding a dress :)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
calibali said:
Magenta - wow, it seems like you're having even more problems than me! From what I can tell, your wedding is coming up soon, right? What kind of dress did you want to wear but were told it was unacceptable? I ask because my FI doesn't even want me to wear a wedding dress since it will only be the two of us, so I'm just curious what you had in mind.

Hope your rings fit well together!

Yup, it's on the 15th of November, this year. Due to time constraints (and the 4 months required for any made to measure dress), we'd decided it was more important to invite some people we wanted to, and get married this year, rather than wait until spring next year, and wear a pretty blue/green/white dress I had, and that my fiance had seen me in before. I'm not a dress girl (people actually gasped and went "wow, you're in a dress!" at a wedding recently), so we considered me being in a dress at all was dressed up enough, but various parents weren't. It does make sense, but it would have been nice if it was timed a little better! Ah well, what can you do?

Now, my next task will be to talk the fiance into first look photography, then walking down the aisle together - I think it sounds rather romantic, but I can only imagine what the various parental reactions would be! Of course, not telling the majority of them might end up being a great idea!

Back to you, though: If your fiance doesn't mind if you're in a wedding dress or not, perhaps widen your search parameters. Are you actually wanting a "wedding dress", given a lot of them don't seem to be what you're looking for? Would you be happier in a dress that makes you go "wow", that isn't conventional wedding attire? If it's just the two of you, you only have to pick what makes you two happy, rather than obeying wider social expectations.

Just a thought...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
calibali said:
OUpeargirl said:

I don't think this was mean at all - I appreciate all the knowledge you have about the designers and different price points. I completely understand that I could go out tomorrow and buy the perfect dress if I wanted to spend a little more, but I'm just not willing to throw the money away like that. If I were having a traditional wedding, absolutely, but it just doesn't make sense for me so I'm looking for a good deal. If it doesn't exist, so be it.

The issue I have with beading is the weight. I have to carry this dress on three different flights (just to get to my destination) so I want it as light as possible. Plus, a heavy dress just doesn't feel very beachy to me. I'm one choosy beggar.

But I will take a look at the brands you recommended. Thank you for your help!

Ok, I'm glad you didn't take that the wrong way! Also, I don't think you need to up your budget-- 1k is plenty to spend. It's just that 1k is going to be difficult to find a lace dress with no beading. Part of the reason for that, is that if the lace isn't super nice, if they put beads over it, you can't tell. Maggie Sottero does this A LOT. Some of her lace is absolute crap if you see it up close. Have you given any thought to a non-lace dress? That's what I meant by "something's got to give." You may need to look at non lace dresses, dresses with lace and beading, ya know what I mean? You can still have a romantic and feminine gown without lace.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results