shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Bands: Appropriate widths for men and women?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
After having purchased my fiancée this engagement ring with a custom diamond (my thanks to the Pricescope forum for its assistance), we''re browsing for an inexpensive pair of wedding bands for our very small wedding. Our intention is to one day possibly replace our bands with something grander when we have more money.

We''ve considered, for her, the matching band, but it''s really not in our budget at this time. So, we''ve been looking at simpler, matching bands (i.e., bride & groom--not matching her engagement ring) without stones, and have found several we like. We prefer white gold (or other silver metals), and have also liked the look of some rings that combine yellow gold. We like contours, milgrain, and so forth, preferring designs a little more elaborate than a plain ring while still far from ornate.

One requisite is that we be able to have our rings engraved. Jewelers I''ve spoken to have said that it is likely that her ring must, then, have a width of 3mm if not four. My fiancée is concerned that rings with a width of 4mm or greater might look too large on her finger--particularly in contrast with her slimmer engagement ring, linked at the beginning of my post.

What is typical? We''ve been surprised that some matching sets feature womens'' bands as large as 5mm. On the flipside, she''s concerned that I might wind up with a ring that''s too small for my own finger, as some of the men''s bands we''ve seen are 3.5mm. I believe this is less of an issue, however, and that a ring of this size would look fine on my finger despite many of the wider mens'' rings we''ve seen having been 4-6mm.

The other concern is that her ring, at only 3mm, might not be wide enough to engrave. But I presume this depends largely upon the individual engraver''s expectations.

Any advice or information you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
3mm is plenty wide to engrave. My grandmother has a 2mm engraved band.

My advice? Go try things on. 99.9% of jewelry stores will stock plain bands in 2mm-10mm widths. We can't tell you what will look right (with her ring OR on your fingers, though for the former I think 3mm would be fine).

My FI just tried on wedding bands last night. He wears a 7.25 (pretty small for a guy)... so if any guy could pull off a thin ring, he could. He didn't at all like the look of anything smaller than 4mm, which was already pushing it. He favors 5-6mm.

It's all a matter of preference. But again, we can't tell you what will look right.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an engraved 2mm band from 1931. If they could engrave if in 1931, I''m sure they can do it now as well! Also, my 2mm engagement ring is engraved. I''d ask around for someone who is more flexible in their engraving.

As far as width, it''s whatever looks good on you. DH has bony little fingers. His knuckles stick out very far and to get a ring that actually didn''t slide around on his finger he went with an 8mm.

On the other hand I don''t have much finger space and found that I couldn''t go wider than the band on my engagement ring and still have it look good - so I have a 2mm.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding band is 2mm and is engraved.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I have matching 4 mm bands, both engraved. The 4 mm looks fine on both of us.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i went with a 3mm and he went with a 6mm. we had them both engraved and they look great!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I agree that most jewellers should be able to engrave a 2mm band. As for widths, my DH chose a 4mm band for his size 7 finger. I thought a 3mm band would look more feminine on my size 8 finger, but it was way too thin for my hands. Anything larger looked masculine, so I got a trinity ring.

Does your fiancee plan to wear the band alone or with her e-ring (or both). I wanted a band that looked just as nice on its own as it did with my ring, so that''s one other thing to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results