shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MY BABY GIRL (cat) IS FINE!!! (Whew!)
25.gif

My FMIL just gave me her wedding band (
1.gif
) because she knows I'm sending this sucker to get re-set (will take 5-7 weeks at Quest for my setting as it's a new style for them). It's a very nice baguette eternity band in WG. She's been wearing it 48 years and never needed to get it replated (wow). I thought it was Platinum (her e-ring is) because it matches the e-ring so well.

SO... the ring fits me, but a little snugly (about a half size larger would be better). One baguette is missing and two are broken (leaving 11 in good shape)... but other than the fact that it's REALLY in need of a good cleaning, I love the style of it (will post pics but after cleaning-- right now the gold and baguettes blend because the baguettes are dulled by the dirt) and though I haven't had them looked at for color professionally-- considering the quality of the rest of her set (all D color and VVS1) and the look of the baguettes-- I think they are definitely G or higher. Plus the width is perfect. Probably 2.5 mm.

So... here are my options:

* Have the three baguettes replaced and see if they can file down the inside of the band so that it's a little smaller and then have them use it for my band when they make the setting (I want flush fit). I think my FMIL would prefer this.

But, the band is... well it's hollow. No that's not right... I don't know how to explain it... hollow means it would have four sides. It doesn't. It has the top and the two sides.. but the bottom (the part that touches my skin) is open to the inside of the band. The inside has support bars between each baguette. It's not terriblly comfortable and I'm afraid that filing it would make it weak. It's also filthy inside-- the underside of the baguettes need a good scrubbing.

* Have them make a similar band in platinum to fit with my e-ring using the existing baguettes.

I could either do a full eternity band that way... or a half and use the remaining baguettes (like 2 of them) in the shank of my setting for continuity.

What do you guys think? Use the full band, or a full eternity and no baguettes on my setting shoulders, or half eternity with one baguette on either side of the halo (in the shank).
33.gif

For now, I'm going to soak the band in my 'gentle' jewelry cleaner for a couple of hours then scrub it carefully (don't want to mess it up)... then see if my digital camera is up to taking pics of it (camera came free with our desktop two years ago so I'm not holding my breath there). Suggestions for cleaning this sucker would be appreciated.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
Any chance you can post a pic for us?? It sounds beautiful, but would love to see it first before I give you any advice.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just put in the cleaner... It hasn't been cleaned in at least 2 years and the way the band is open... it's caked inside. So I think I'm going to have to give it a little while to soak then hit it with the brush on the inside. It looks like this one... except these are set continuously and hers has little squares of WG between each baguette so each one is individually set in it's own bezel.

baguette%20eband2.JPG
And I just realized I can't find the blasted digital camera... It's probably in the car (will go check).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
270cre2.jpg
dafdre2.jpg
28b2re2.jpg
Okay... I just got jiggy with the electric toothbrush and it worked... but I can't turn the flash off on my camera and one of my cats is a picture slut... which is making this a very athletic proposition (you wouldn't think so would you?).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That didn''t post right. There are three pics up there. My fingers look FAT. But I''m a size 5.5 I swear! LOL.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d send it to Quest, have them give you their opinion. They can tell you if shaving the inside is an option. I''d restore it if possible. I couldn''t see the last pics you posted but I''m all for restoring a family treasure if possible. What a nice gift your FMIL gave to you. Also sending it to Quest will allow them to make the ering to sit flush with the band.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I cannot see your photos...
15.gif

But if the ring is not comfortable to wear perhaps you could have a band made that looks like this one but is more comfertable with the broken stones replaced. The picture I could see looked soo lovely and like it would be perfect with your new setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the other pic:

I do want to talk to Pete about it, but I also want to at least have an idea of what I think would be best. I do like the thought of restoring it... but the maintanence of the band (because of the way it''s open inside) worries me. It''s a lovely band, truly, but it gets icky quickly (which is why FMIL gave up on cleaning it often).
33.gif

28b2re2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OKAY I was determined when I grabbed the electric toothbrush... then I hit stubborn when I pulled the chair up under the kitchen light so that I could get a good pic of the band... went straight to obstinant when the flash wouldn''t turn on... so let me tell you... I''m at bloody minded now. These pictures WILL POST.
11.gif

Or else.
23.gif

346%3A29299%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3283%3E6%3A8%3E339%3EWSNRCG%3D32336%3B%3B5%3C4496nu0mrj

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
346%3A29299%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3283%3E6%3A8%3E339%3EWSNRCG%3D32336%3B%3B5%3C%3B566nu0mrj

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they showing up? Can you all see them? Here''s the fat fingered one... I was pushing my finger down so you can see my asscher and current setting with the band.
346%3A29299%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3283%3E6%3A8%3E339%3EWSNRCG%3D32336%3B%3B5%3C4499nu0mrj

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they showing up?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy they are up and the ring is soo lovely! It reminds me of this ring. I dont suppose you are a 6 1/4 ring?

039EJ13.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. FMIL's ring is a 5 I'm a 5.5 or a 6 in wide rings. Why? That's a lovely band. Oh! The band is why! Sorry still at work... my brain is sludge.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your kitty is okay! I like the ring like it is unless it is no longer structurally sound, or something. I''d probably just replace the missing diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results