shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding band woes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamonewbie

Rough_Rock

Howdy,

Well my jeweler who set the diamond for me is making her band as well. She was going to use my fiance''s grandmother''s ring, which was a gaudy cluster of small rubies and diamonds. She has made a mold already (so I''m already going to have to pay for that), which is supposed to have stones all the way around the band (ruby, diamond, ruby, diamond, etc.). The stones are around .2 carats, possibly less...I will find out this weekend or early next week.

Anyway, the dilemma is that she just called me and told me that we will need at least 10 more stones to go all the way around the band. Also, she said the diamonds were chipped and cut in the "old style", and that it might look weird next to newer cut diamonds.

So, now I''m probably looking at spending a LOT more than I was anticipating on this ring. I thought I had the stones covered, and now it''s looking like I may have to purchase a few more rubies and a bunch of diamonds.

My question is...do you think it would look strange having this dichotomy of diamond cut in a band? Perhaps like this...ruby, old diamond, ruby, new diamond, etc.? Thanks,

Jon

PS-for those who remember my diamond purchase from several weeks ago, here''s my story: she knew all about the rock and had seen it, but not set in the ring. She thought I was going to pick it up the next day, but I picked it up that night and brought it to her, lying on top of a container of Ben & Jerry''s Chubby Hubby.

19.gif
It was the best ice cream she ever had.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
have you thought about making it a half eternity band rather than full. that is what i want for my wedding band. it would be easier to re-size later on if need be and it would eliminate the need to have old style and new style diamonds together. IMO...the stones on the bottom of the ring go to waste anyway cause no one sees them.

diamonewbie

Rough_Rock
Yes, we considered this before the project began. However, it costs 100 bucks for the wax mold and she already made it. HOWEVER, it would cost a lot more to buy more stones than it would for her to make another mold, so I will talk to my girl about this option...thanks.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I agree that you should do a half eternity. And shouldn''t the jeweler have known there wouldn''t be enough stones? It''s not like you''re talking abour being short by 2 or something. If the jeweler won''t cover the cost of the mold, I would still go that route. I think it will be beautiful, and much more practical
1.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I personally LOVE the look of the eternity band. Many people say that you can''t see the diamonds all the way around, but I think that you can. Especially when you wave hello :)!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would definitely not mix old diamonds with new - the difference will be very visible and it is not considered "nice" often (not to say never, I''ve really not heard of anyone willingly mixing these). It is possible to source old cuts (done for jewelry restauration, these are sources in the trade for this) but if the particular jeweler says he can''t thenthis is it - he cannot.

Some space left for sizing at the bottom of a gem set band is not a terrible idea, IMO. This is often done just for practical reasons (sizing, mostly, since 100% eternity bands cannot be sized).

Hope the 0.2 worth helps

1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For ref... some old & one new
2.gif

OldAndNew.jpg

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Dave and researcher. The jeweler should have known there wouldn''t be enough stones to complete the eternity ring. I doubt I''d pay full price, if I had to pay at all, to have the wax redone. I might split the cost with her just to keep the peace.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results