shape
carat
color
clarity

WEdding Band prices - crazy stuff

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MG

Rough_Rock
I am trying to find out how much I shoudl be spending on Wedding bands given the following:

Band for Fiance: 2mm wide, 1.3mm thick, size k, Platinum
Band for me: 6mm wide, 2mm thick, size S, Platinum outer, gold inner.

I have been quoted for each to be hand mande prices respectively are, $1200 & $3500 Australian. (see attached for mine)

To me that sounds excessive. What are the current going prices for 18ct gold and 950 platinum. What should I be paying to get them hand made etc.

Sounds like Im gettign ripped off doesnt it?
loopy.gif

Can anyone help me please?

MG

Rough_Rock
Cant attach file - wont let me sorry.

The ring basically has platinum on the outside with 18ct gold on teh inside. you almost cant see the gold when the ring is on unless you look closely. It is comfort fit shape...
loopy.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
When you try to post pics, there is a file size limit. Also, PS will only take certain file extensions, so make sure your pic is formatted correctly. Finally, since you've already tried to post, the name is in the system. You'll have to rename the pics to post them.

For current metals prices, try www.kitco.com.

The prices you are quoting seem steep. But a lot depends on the particular metal. Platinum has been soaring lately. Are you adding melee diamonds?? That will add to the price.

Most of the Price Scope Vendors sell wedding bands. You might cruise some sites and comparison shop.
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
>Band for Fiance: 2mm wide, 1.3mm thick, size k, Platinum
>Band for me: 6mm wide, 2mm thick, size S, Platinum outer, gold inner.

>I have been quoted for each to be hand mande prices respectively are, $1200 & $3500 Australian. (see attached for mine)

>To me that sounds excessive. What are the current going prices for 18ct gold and 950 platinum. What should I be paying to get >them hand made etc.

>Sounds like Im gettign ripped off doesnt it?

I would say that it sounds pretty excessive to me. I think you could do much better. You shouldn't be paying a premium for "hand made" with simple bands, they take little to make and are most often, and most cheaply, ordered pre-made anyway with only final finishing and hallmarking by the individual jeweler. Unless there is a "name" attached there is no reason to pay that much.

I am assuming the 18k liner is to lower the weight/cost of an otherwise extremely heavy Platinum band? Would you prefer solid Plat?

A 6mm wide, 2mm thick domed band in size S would weigh 14 grams in SOLID Platinum.
A 2mm wide, 1.3mm thick domed band in size K would weigh 2.5 grams.

Even at my current retail price chart I would quote both of those rings in solid platinum for significantly less than you are being asked for your lined ring alone. Lined, the rings would be even LESS.
My suggestion is keep shopping around.

I would also strongly suggest slightly widening/thickening her band to get it more towards 3 - 3.5 grams for durability unless she is really opposed to it.

MG

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help guys . I finnaly attached that file (apparently).

Another quick one - what is the best platinum alloy mix? Iridium, Palladium etc...

A quote would be great. dO you have a web site?

MG Ring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results