shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding band on a chain?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I know that a fair number of PSers are hospital employees like my hubby to be - for those of you who aren''t allowed to wear your rings on your finger, what types of chains do you wear them on, or what do you do with them instead?

I would like to get my DF a platinum chain to go with his platinum band that I bought this past weekend (I thought it would be a nice surprise since the poor dear is buying me an engagement ring and a wedding band), but I want to make sure that it''s sturdy enough to not break. How many mm should the chain be, and by looking through the forums, I gather that box and wheat chains are the strongest. I have had bad experiences with simple link chains breaking, and it needs to be something comfortable and sturdy enough for daily wear and tear. Also, where can I go to buy a sturdy platinum chain? Palladium would work as well. I''ve seen good prices for a less than 1mm thick chain on bluenile, but I am afraid that it will break.

The DIY retail/wholesale shop that I wandered into quoted me a price of $210/ft for 1.3mm and $305/ft for 1.8 mm without any clasps or chain closures, and the salesperson said that both would be sturdy enough. Are these good prices? I''d probably want to get him a 18 inch chain so that would be $305 and $452 respectively, not including buying a lobster clasp or whatever.

Normally I guess people would buy white gold to match, but he has lots of allergies and I''d rather not chance it. I tried looking in the forums for more info about durable platinum chains, but didn''t find anything specific. but I hope that the PS repository of knowledge will be able to help me out!
36.gif

He''s a pretty low-key guy, so I would consider getting him a stainless steel chain because they are very thick, but that''s really not his style.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 2:21:54 PM
Author:litebrite
I know that a fair number of PSers are hospital employees like my hubby to be - for those of you who aren''t allowed to wear your rings on your finger, what types of chains do you wear them on, or what do you do with them instead?

I would like to get my DF a platinum chain to go with his platinum band that I bought this past weekend (I thought it would be a nice surprise since the poor dear is buying me an engagement ring and a wedding band), but I want to make sure that it''s sturdy enough to not break. How many mm should the chain be, and by looking through the forums, I gather that box and wheat chains are the strongest. I have had bad experiences with simple link chains breaking, and it needs to be something comfortable and sturdy enough for daily wear and tear. Also, where can I go to buy a sturdy platinum chain? Palladium would work as well. I''ve seen good prices for a less than 1mm thick chain on bluenile, but I am afraid that it will break.

The DIY retail/wholesale shop that I wandered into quoted me a price of $210/ft for 1.3mm and $305/ft for 1.8 mm without any clasps or chain closures, and the salesperson said that both would be sturdy enough. Are these good prices? I''d probably want to get him a 18 inch chain so that would be $305 and $452 respectively, not including buying a lobster clasp or whatever.

Normally I guess people would buy white gold to match, but he has lots of allergies and I''d rather not chance it. I tried looking in the forums for more info about durable platinum chains, but didn''t find anything specific. but I hope that the PS repository of knowledge will be able to help me out!
36.gif

He''s a pretty low-key guy, so I would consider getting him a stainless steel chain because they are very thick, but that''s really not his style.
christina aguilera (sp?)''s husband has a special chain made to have a detachable ring.... I''ve yet to see pics...

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Litebrite,

Those prices seem reasonable, without seeing the quality or style...

May I suggest Titanium, it is very strong, there are lots of styles out there and a lot of guys prefer it, as it is very light - so it does not "remind" the wearer that they have on jewelry, good for low-key types...

The color is very complementary to Platinum, as well.

Titanium Era chain 18"

or this Boccia chain, on sale:

and they have other styles...

And this is their "Titan Factory" line

Just a thought, good luck with your search,

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
On a related note (sorry for the small thread hijack) . . .
What type of chain will prevent catching and pulling hair? I have a number of chains that "pinch" and pull hairs which could be very painful for guys, who tend to have chest hair. I will also likely look for a chain or other "contraption" that can be used to hang a wedding band from my BF''s neck for when he goes to work. Does anyone know of a "clip" system, like a caribiner, that won''t require the chain to be removed everytime but the band can be attached and detached easily for quick on and off the finger? Does my question even make sense to anyone?

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Square Guy, those look like very sturdy chains with good widths at reasonable prices. I hadn''t really considered titanium because I remember when I asked him about a titanium band, his first reaction is that it''s very hard to cut it off in case of a car accident. Perhaps he will feel differently about it as a necklace.

Also it just occurred to me, I should probably be looking for things that don''t make his head bow under the combined weight. I haven''t weighed the ring but it''s pretty heavy in the hand. Otherwise, I could see him leaning over to look in the patient''s eye, and then bam! The ring swings out and clocks the patient in the jaw. Malpractice of a different sort!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 3:16:59 PM
Author: hikerchick
What type of chain will prevent catching and pulling hair? I have a number of chains that ''pinch'' and pull hairs which could be very painful for guys, who tend to have chest hair. I will also likely look for a chain or other ''contraption'' that can be used to hang a wedding band from my BF''s neck for when he goes to work. Does anyone know of a ''clip'' system, like a caribiner, that won''t require the chain to be removed everytime but the band can be attached and detached easily for quick on and off the finger? Does my question even make sense to anyone?
Try looking at charm loops -- I''m not sure if these have a technical name, but they are loop-type devices that are worn on a chain that open and close (somewhat like a caribiner). I''ve seen ladies wear them with multiple charms attached. Something like that might work for a ring?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 4:05:07 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
Try looking at charm loops -- I''m not sure if these have a technical name, but they are loop-type devices that are worn on a chain that open and close (somewhat like a caribiner). I''ve seen ladies wear them with multiple charms attached. Something like that might work for a ring?

Thank you, I will look into something like this.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t wear any jewelry to work during a shift. one less thing to worry about.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
if he is going to wear it under his scrubs or clothing have you considered a 22 inch ss ball chain with a dog tag style pendant. i purchased one recently for my husband and had it engraved with his name and medical condition. on the reverse side i had a sentimental inscription. he likes the long chain as it is easy off over the head. he is not wearing a ring on it so it may not be for you.

if you go platinum you might want to check out leslie. i purchased a 4.70 gram platinum square snake chain 16" long back in 2002. it was about 400 back then. it got a defect and they replaced it with a wheat chain since they quit making the snake. i would consider them again if they had what i want as the exchange was painless and i wear the chain almost daily and no problems. it is not heavy but the diamond heart pendant is nothing compared to the ring weight. good luck!

sparklefan

Rough_Rock
I just bought an 18-inch, 1.1mm platinum wheat chain from Amazon for around $250. It should be delivered by Wednesday or Thursday this week, so I''ll know at that time if it is sturdy! You may want to check them out.

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 3:16:59 PM
Author: hikerchick
What type of chain will prevent catching and pulling hair? I have a number of chains that 'pinch' and pull hairs which could be very painful for guys, who tend to have chest hair. I will also likely look for a chain or other 'contraption' that can be used to hang a wedding band from my BF's neck for when he goes to work. Does anyone know of a 'clip' system, like a caribiner, that won't require the chain to be removed everytime but the band can be attached and detached easily for quick on and off the finger? Does my question even make sense to anyone?

A Ball chain in Ti is available here:

A very good point about chest hair...

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 3:36:05 PM
Author: litebrite
Square Guy, those look like very sturdy chains with good widths at reasonable prices. I hadn't really considered titanium because I remember when I asked him about a titanium band, his first reaction is that it's very hard to cut it off in case of a car accident. Perhaps he will feel differently about it as a necklace.

Also it just occurred to me, I should probably be looking for things that don't make his head bow under the combined weight. I haven't weighed the ring but it's pretty heavy in the hand. Otherwise, I could see him leaning over to look in the patient's eye, and then bam! The ring swings out and clocks the patient in the jaw. Malpractice of a different sort!
This topic has been addressed by Bruce Boone, maker of Titanium rings (mine, included
36.gif
) :
Bruce's post is 4th from the bottom...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results