shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Band Help!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

Now that we have our engagement ring which SNA so kindly recommended :appl: (pic included in the post, sorry for the bad quality, taken on my phone), now it's time to pick out my wedding ring, and I would love some advice, please!!!

My engagement ring is a 2.26 F round brilliant, single solitaire, in the sleekline legato platinum setting, purchased from Whiteflash. I plan on wearing both rings together pretty much all of the time. I am not a fan of channels settings, and instead prefer a 5 or 7 stone shared prong setting. I would like something which provides enough finger coverage on my 4.5 finger, that adds some more bling (!), but also doesn't overpower the engagement ring too much. Any ideas of how many pointers I should get? I know it's best to try in person, which I will doo, but trying to get some ideas beforehand as well. Am I correct in assuming that each diamond should be certified, or does it not really matter at that size? I also would like the two rings to sit flush as close as possible, but it's proving difficult because the band of the engagement ring tapers in. Will I have to get something specifically made?

My partner and I actually live in London. However, I will be in NY at the end of this month, and am planning to purchase the wedding ring from ID Jewelers. For those who have purchased from them before, how long can I expect it to take to complete my ring? Need to know roughly how long to book this trip back home and make sure I get the ring in time!

Thanks, all!!

Richmond-upon-Thames-20120526-00041.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, your ring is gorgeous!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Okay, a couple of things. It will help you most to go to Tiffany's in NYC and try on their bands. I honestly would buy one there because they are high quality and set really low and many others are not. SNA's wife has the small 9 stone band with 3 pointers. I recently tried on a couple of other Tiffany bands and have phone pictures which I will attach FYI.

But regardless of where you get the ring, I would go with 7 stones and anywhere from 3 to 10 points, max. But if you go below 8 pointers, I would do 9 stones. I think you'd have to arrange to have the ring made in advance if you are only in NY for a few days. A lot will depend on whether they have to order a setting in your size and diamonds as well.

Here are a couple of pictures for you with a 1.5 ct diamond e-ring (and the third one is a Memoire band with seven 10-11 point stones):

7 stone, .56cts.jpg

9 stone .27cts.jpg

New Rings c.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and no, stones are not certified at that size. The jeweler buys melee stones in different size, color, and clarity ranges but they do not have individual grading certificates. I'd want F VS stones in the band if I had your e-ring.

And...if you scroll down this page you can see the 3 pointer ring with SNA's wife's e-ring as well:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/40k-budget-find-me-a-diamond-t168853-360.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/40k-budget-find-me-a-diamond-t168853-360.html[/URL]

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thanks diamond, those pics are great!!!

Hmm, I was initially thinking of a 5 stone, but maybe 7 or 9 stone would be nice as well. The Tiffany's ones sure are beautiful. Is there a particular reason why you recommend them over IDJ though? Can IDJ make one for me that has a low enough profile?

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Diamond, how many pointers are the last wedding ring you posted? Many thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
galatie|1339271780|3212703 said:
Wow, thanks diamond, those pics are great!!!

Hmm, I was initially thinking of a 5 stone, but maybe 7 or 9 stone would be nice as well. The Tiffany's ones sure are beautiful. Is there a particular reason why you recommend them over IDJ though? Can IDJ make one for me that has a low enough profile?

The Tiffany ones are beautiful, well made, and of course, expensive, but in the overall scheme of things, I think it is worth spending the money for a wedding band (whereas I would never pay for their diamond e-rings). I can't say whether IDJ can make one as low, but the very low Tiffany basket settings I have not seen reproduced as well anywhere else. I have the 2mm Tiffany Legacy wedding band that I wear most of the time and I also have the other band (3rd picture) that is Memoire, another high quality brand with a very low setting (but closed basket).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is .75 cts, seven stones, so about 10.5 points each. It is made by Memoire and is set very low like the Tiffany.

New Rings c.jpg

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi diamond - for my engagement ring, we had it set in a 90/10 platinum setting, as you recommended. Would you recommend that we ask for this to be done for the wedding band as well (not sure if they will do it at Tiffany's?). Will there be any visiual diffierence? I'm planning on getting my fiance a platinum wedding band - should I request a 90/10 combination as well, or is 95/5 ok?

Oh, and is it necessary to get a thin spacer, to not expose the band to the prongs of my ering?

Many thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
galatie|1339274622|3212737 said:
Hi diamond - for my engagement ring, we had it set in a 90/10 platinum setting, as you recommended. Would you recommend that we ask for this to be done for the wedding band as well (not sure if they will do it at Tiffany's?). Will there be any visiual diffierence? I'm planning on getting my fiance a platinum wedding band - should I request a 90/10 combination as well, or is 95/5 ok?

Oh, and is it necessary to get a thin spacer, to not expose the band to the prongs of my ering?

Many thanks!

This is a great and important question!

The hardest alloy (and what I would want for a man's wedding band for sure) is 95%platinum/5%RUTHENIUM...it is the hardest platinum alloy and is what Tiffany uses. So if you got your bands there, you would be safe!

Fine jewelers who don't use the 95plat/5ruthenium use the next hardest alloy, and that is 90%plat/10%iridium which is what my e-ring is made out of and I also have a 5 stone diamond band made out of this. I believe this is what Victor Canera uses and so does Maytal Hannah, Mark Morrell, etc. Very white and scratch resistant. You can ask for this or the plat/ruthenium if you are having something custom made elsewhere.

The softer (and very commonly found) alloy is 95plat/5iridium, and this is the alloy that will show more scratches and develop the gray patina faster. I would not buy rings with this alloy and definitely not a man's band since it shows more metal.

If you buy a Tiffany band of 10 points or less, it will be low enough not to harm your e-ring and you will not need a spacer. They don't sell a 10 point band with 7 stones, though. They just have 8 pointers and then 3 pointers (9 stones), I think. But I really like the 8 pointers just as well as the 10. The band with 15 pointers is just too big to wear with an e-ring. SNA's wife originally had this band for her wedding band, but it hit against her diamond e-ring and chipped it!!! That is when SNA had to go on the hunt for a new diamond. She then moved that large band to her other hand and wears the smaller diamond band as her wedding band. The 15 point band stuck out farther than her e-ring and just didn't look right anyway, to be perfectly honest.

If you should decide that you want the .75 Memoire band, I would recommend Pearlman's because they give PriceScope members a 20% discount in most cases. I am not positive of the plat alloy because mine is white gold (had it prior to getting my plat e-ring setting), but it would probably be okay regardless for a shared prong ring. Mine is from the petite prong collection, .75 cts., and you can choose diamond quality. I upgraded to something like F-G, VS.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Hi diamondseeker,

Well, I had the chance to go to Tiffany's today, and absolutely loved the 7 stone, 8 pointers shared prong ring, as shown in the first picture of your reply!! I felt that the 9 stone, 3 pointers were too small to be paired with my engagement ring, and the others just too large.

I am trying to now decide between the Tiffany's 7 stone 8 pointers and the Memoire 7 stone 10.5 pointer band from Pearlman's which you posted as well. Both look beautiful to me! Do you have any recommendation or advice about which would go better with my ering, which is a 2.26 round brilliant, medium profile, in the sleekline legato setting? I am looking for something to add a bit more bling, but without overwhelming my ering. I loved the look of the Tiffany's, but am wondering if I could get away with 10.5 pointers? I wish I could have tried on a similar size ring in Tiffany's but the next one up they had in the shared prong was much bigger than 10.5. It's hard to decide whether being able to see the Memoire ring in person, and just difficult because we don't live in the US, so returns could be a bit of a pain. In your opinion, does the Memoire sit as low as the rings from Tiffanys? I am looking for a band which will sit as flush together as possible. Would you say both are of similar quality?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
ID jewelry can make the band to the height of your choosing - search for ID jewelry eternity on here and you'll find tons of raves!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely do the Tiffany or the Memoire for Pearlmans. I love both bands but do really love the open baskets on the Tiffany and like Diamondseeker, I've yet to see any vendor replicate one to sit as low. If budget is no object I'd go with the Tiffany.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1340539332|3222763 said:
I would definitely do the Tiffany or the Memoire for Pearlmans. I love both bands but do really love the open baskets on the Tiffany and like Diamondseeker, I've yet to see any vendor replicate one to sit as low. If budget is no object I'd go with the Tiffany.

I am so glad you were able to go to Tiffany's!

I am going to totally agree with MrsS, as usual. Both are of the finest quality, but I absolutely love the Tiffany rings the most. No one else makes one as perfect as theirs as far as I am concerned.

Another member here, blueiris, also has a 2+ ct. engagement ring and also liked the size of the 8 pointers best with her ring. She considered the full eternity, but like me, she is past the childbearing years where weight might change and affect ring size. I think the 7 stone ring will be easier to take care of since you won't have to worry about banging the diamonds on your palm side of a full eternity, too. There is nothing at all wrong with the Memoire 10.5 pointers with a 2 ct. diamond, either. I just prefer the engagement ring to be the star and the wedding band to be an elegant accent, and I sort of feel like the 8 pointers is more perfect. But that would just be my personal choice.

(If you did go with Memoire, I will tell your that I chose the upgraded color/clarity for the diamonds which you'd need to do since you have F color for your e-ring. The Tiffany is fine as it is.)

I can't wait to hear what you decide! And please remember to post pictures of your set when the time comes!

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice, everyone! The Tiffany's ring sure was a beauty!!! :love: I will pop by IDJ when I get to NY later this week, and see what they can come up with, and decide between the Tiffany's, the Memoire, or something from IDJ. Will post pics whenever the full set arrives! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, good luck in your search! I'll just say that I think Tiffany and Memoire have the lowest settings and better quality overall than most others.

galatie

Shiny_Rock
Re: Wedding Band Opinions Please - Calling DiamondSeeker!

f

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results