shape
carat
color
clarity

Website Name Suggestions

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been kicking around the idea of creating a personal website based around diamond info. Not interested in selling or doing this for profit, but rather to educate and help people. Or maybe just give me a place to store information so I can cut & paste data here, lol.

A few that cropped in my head...

caratgeek.com
theidealrock.com

Most the others were either taken or stupid expensive to register.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can give you lots of questionable ideas...:lol:
rockjock
rockhunter
caratmerit
caratjuice
rocktalk / rockytalky - i know that's a forum here but would andrey mind? it's a great name!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can give you lots of questionable ideas...:lol:
rockjock
rockhunter
caratmerit
caratjuice
rocktalk / rockytalky - i know that's a forum here but would andrey mind? it's a great name!

LOL thank you!

Rocktalk and rockytalky are not available.

I also like caratmerit alot.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeee! Please don't use "caratgeek".
Do you know what a "geek" was? A circus worker who bites the heads off of live chickens.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeee! Please don't use "caratgeek"
Do you know what a "geek" was? Once I found out, I was really grossed out.

I assume you mean the circus freak who bit the heads off chickens and snakes? I think of the more modern day definition of a person with enthusiasm and knowledge in a technical field. Although there is also the negative connotation of an unpopular/disliked smart person.

Hmmm....2 of 3 are negative. Dated or modern, seems like a good reason to pass on that one.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geek

I'm still really liking caratmerit. Just debating if it "reads well". Also, how many people use/spell the term merit. And then for some strange reason I heard Care Bears when I was saying it in my head. :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to the admins, even if you do not do it for money it will likely put you in the trade category on PS.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to the admins, even if you do not do it for money it will likely put you in the trade category on PS.

@sledge What Karl said ... it’s possible to be viewed as competition to PS.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Caratquest?

Although it sounds like a video game, and apparently it is not deemed to have much commercial value, given what godaddy is asking to register it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not worried about monetizing it, just go with sledge.com or whatever and don't worry about the name so much. I ran a site for a long time that had plenty of hits and great rank even though the name wasn't something you'd search for when looking for anything in the niche.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey I'm a geek and I use a knife to butcher chickens for dinner.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

@sledge What Karl said ... it’s possible to be viewed as competition to PS.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I need to rethink some of this. I'm not trying to be defiant or competitive.

If you're not worried about monetizing it, just go with sledge.com or whatever and don't worry about the name so much. I ran a site for a long time that had plenty of hits and great rank even though the name wasn't something you'd search for when looking for anything in the niche.

Already considered that. It's taken. :(2

While not for monetary purposes, I like catchy URL's that are easy to remember.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a guy - the prosumerdiamonds fellow - who did... well, something similar to this. For a while his content acquisition tactics seemed to focus on trawling PS for assertions and parroting them sans context and citations. I give you a lot more credit than that sledge ::)

The fundamental problem with this idea is that although intentions are good, a site that's one person's opinion - well, is one person's opinion... and one person's opinion, even that of a dedicated enthusiast or tradeperson with years of expertise, is fallible without the checks and balances that rich communities like RT and CS here on PS provide. The power of PS is in the number and diversity of voices and perspectives that contribute to a discussion.

An alternate suggestion, depending on exactly what your goals are - perhaps reach out to Andrey to see how consumers can contribute to this community in more meaningful and impactful ways? One thing that comes to mind - articles and tutorials have always been encouraged...

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a guy - the prosumerdiamonds fellow - who did... well, something similar to this. For a while his content acquisition tactics seemed to focus on trawling PS for assertions and parroting them sans context and citations. I give you a lot more credit than that sledge ::)

The fundamental problem with this idea is that although intentions are good, a site that's one person's opinion - well, is one person's opinion... and one person's opinion, even that of a dedicated enthusiast or tradeperson with years of expertise, is fallible without the checks and balances that rich communities like RT and CS here on PS provide. The power of PS is in the number and diversity of voices and perspectives that contribute to a discussion.

An alternate suggestion, depending on exactly what your goals are - perhaps reach out to Andrey to see how consumers can contribute to this community in more meaningful and impactful ways? One thing that comes to mind - articles and tutorials have always been encouraged...

Thank you @yssie. As always you have some great thoughts and feedback.

I certainly hope I have not left the wrong impression. It's not my intent, desire or style to be like the other guy.

Initially I was drawn to this forum because of a need basis (ring for my fiancee). I've stuck around as a true passion for diamonds has ignited deep within and I am trying to fuel my own desires to learn as much as possible. I do this for fun, not profit. Another passion of mine is helping people and I think it's painfully obvious the mass public is defunct of proper diamond education. I'd like to somehow change that and looking for methods. Consequently I don't know exactly what that journey looks like but I feel I need to do more.

Maybe the articles, etc is a starting point.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge If you wanted to expand your own knowledge base as a way of not only fulfilling your interests/hobby regarding diamonds but also helping others on here as well as in life that you come across who might be interested in purchasing a diamond, maybe consider taking a couple of the remote GIA courses on diamond education. I’ve thought about it myself, sheerly for my own knowledge/edification as opposed to ever making any sort of business out of it. They’re relatively inexpensive from what I’ve seen, and might be of interest to you.

Just an idea I figured I’d pass along. :wavey:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,

I like simple things. I would call it Diamondtalk. That says it all.

Annette

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sledgeyintheskywithdiamonds.com
diamondsfordummies.com
4C.com (ETA: that one's taken, but maybe there's something related, or a .net)
thefifthc.com (currency? cash? credit? --you could take that and run with it)

That's all you're getting out of me for free. :mrgreen2:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like caratjuice, maybe not for Sledge’s website, but it’s cute.
It sounds healthy and hip, like health nut meets cut nut.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt the same @Jimmianne. But eventually I circled back to that name. Turns out it's already registered and the current owner is a former jeweler and gemologist (GG) that is now using the site to explore her hobbies, etc. So they have a good story there and it's more deserving for her IMO.

FWIW, did a WHOIS and PS owns RockyTalky.com. Doubtful they'd relinquish the address to me, especially if they saw this as competition.

And @monarch64, thank you for the suggestions. Oddly enough the diamondfordummies one is available. I think it's pretty good in some ways but may be offensive to some. And I really loved thefifthc.com as I use that term a lot on here. The current owner has registered it for 6+ years now although it appears to be a non-functional type thing. Maybe just sitting on it waiting for a fat cash offer. Fifthc.com is available for $20k. :lol: 5thc.com is parked for sale (no price). The5thc.com is owned by a diamond consultant who is using the site to help sell people jewelry.

Owned and operated a .me a few years back. It was a headache not having a .com address so I'd prefer to not go down that route.

Overall some great suggestions. The sledgeyintheskydiamonds.com was cool but too long IMO. Great ideas for free. Thanks for sharing. ;)2

When I initially asked for opinions I went ahead and registered caratgeek and theidealrock not knowing if I'd use them or not. I thought rocksavvy was pretty cool too, but someone owns that is leading what appears to be a revolution against diamonds. Thought about asking to buy it just to shut them down, lol.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,

i'LL TRY AGAIN. I like diamond as a first word. When people look something up about diamonds, you want your website to turn up. So another--Diamonds and You.

Annette

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @yssie. As always you have some great thoughts and feedback.

I certainly hope I have not left the wrong impression. It's not my intent, desire or style to be like the other guy.

Initially I was drawn to this forum because of a need basis (ring for my fiancee). I've stuck around as a true passion for diamonds has ignited deep within and I am trying to fuel my own desires to learn as much as possible. I do this for fun, not profit. Another passion of mine is helping people and I think it's painfully obvious the mass public is defunct of proper diamond education. I'd like to somehow change that and looking for methods. Consequently I don't know exactly what that journey looks like but I feel I need to do more.

Maybe the articles, etc is a starting point.

This is an interesting discussion. I started a novel in response on my computer... then was on the road for a couple of days, so just getting back to it now...

I was talking about this thread with the other half. First some context for my views: PS has been a beloved part of my day to day for nearly a third of my life. I’m a software engineer by trade - and I work primarily in the Open Source space.

The Open Source philosophy is counterintuitive for many, at least at first. Open Source software is software that is wholly community-driven: people all over the world may choose to contribute to projects that are of personal or (and) corporate interest. The source code itself - the result of that work - is free to download and free to use. The driving tenets of the Open Source movement are that information wants to be free, wants to be shared... and that projects that are birthed and nurtured by diversity and passion of community are better architected, better implemented, and more stable than in-house operations. Open Source software takes advantage of the innovation and perspective that open exchange of ideas, peer review, and convergence of global opinion and collaboration can yield. And how do companies make money off Open Source? Some use the software in their own licensed IP. Some sell consulting services for installation and maintenance. Some, like mine, improve that software for specific markets, productize distributions with long-term support guarantees, and give their improvements back to the Open Source community.

The most well-known Open Source project is probably the Linux operating system. Linux has been around for a really long time - let’s round to half a century. For most of the past several decades Microsoft has been the prevailing enterprise operating system, and for most of the past several decades Microsoft’s business model has represented the antithesis of Open Source values - source code under lock and key, implementations obfuscated, licensing and service agreements holding the keys to profit. Just a few years ago a Microsoft executive publicly called Open Source “a cancer”.

The computer industry has shifted dramatically over the past five years. Anyone who’s associated with this industry will have heard terms like “container”, “Docker”, Kubernetes”... these are Linux-based constructs that have skyrocketed in popularity - they’ve made certain workflows and processes and architectures so easy and stable that they’ve fundamentally altered software design patterns and best practices. They’re Open Source projects that evangelize the benefits of the Open Source model... and that model is taking over the industry: just a few weeks ago Microsoft bought GitHub - the largest Open Source software hosting platform in the world.

To me... PS is the Open Source of the gemstone industry. It’s a one-of-a-kind place where professionals and hobbyists share ideas, share information, learn from each other. It’s a model that is still largely reviled by the industry at large - PS is Linux in Microsoft’s heyday. And PS, this fledgling, still-vulnerable bastion of independence and freedom, needs all the help it can get - it’s most powerful, and most valuable, and its ideology is most likely to succeed if those who care work together. Open Source software is my playground and my paycheck, and I feel privileged to have... not just witnessed its transformation from mocked underdog to philosophy de jure, but actively participated in it. Every single person who takes the time and effort to participate in RT and CS is making that same difference in this industry.

It’s not a matter of competition, for me, but of upping the odds of Open Source becoming the diamond standard (pun not intended but it’s irresistible :bigsmile:). There are no moral or ethical implications to any of us hosting resources of our own! That’s what Open Sourcing information is about!! But... how much more quickly might Linux have transformed my industry if Mac had decided to use BSD as their base operating system, as they’ve done in recent versions, instead of rolling their own like they used to?

@sledge you know you are a valuable RT contributor. I think you have a particular talent for taking information and distilling it to key points that newcomers can process and actually use. I tend to overwhelm people - information overload. I’ll pick on @Karl_K - when he posted as a consumer he was an intimidating figure. My first thought, obviously feel free to take what you will from it - PS’ tutorials desperately need review and organization: right now there’s introductory material next to esoterica, there’s no clear path to onboarding... someone with your particular talent would be invaluable for R&R - or, heck, a whole reorg and redo - if that’s something you’d enjoy doing. Again, just one thought!

If this general topic is of interest I do encourage you to chat with Andrey and @John Pollard, @Garry H (Cut Nut) and @Karl_K would have insights as well...

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results