shape
carat
color
clarity

WEBSAILOR!!!! question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Off you go! Obviously a teenager... NO, you can''t make me leave! I like the free food and how you clean up my room! I''m not gonna go in this box!!!

Note the glove too...

small_possums_04.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Awwww!! My little baby today is only the size of that one''s head!!

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
This is the only one that "played possum" on us. I guess facing the wilderness was too much for it. A few minutes later it woke up and took off.

I put this one in so you could see the teeth... I''ve been nipped a few times...when they are small it''s not too bad - the big ones are a different story...

small_possums_05.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If I see one on the side of the road, should I pull over to check if it has babies? or to see if it''s really dead?

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
I''d always put your own personal safety first. Possums are not endangered and they reproduce quite well. If you see one by the side of the road, my guess would be 99 percent plus probably dead.

It''s a tough world the creatures around us live in - almost literally live and die. Possums only last about 3 to 4 years....they live fast. The babies grow up pretty fast too....

In the end it''s a judgement call. I have a 26 mile commute mostly through country, but on an Interstate with crazy California drivers. I have never stopped - most of the time it''s obvious the poor fellow is dead and it''s usually not safe.

On the other hand, my volunteer work gave me great pleasure and I was glad to be able to save some animals.

I''m a pretty nature orientated person, so I try not to pollute, etc.... It''s all a balance in your life. If you can help, do. If you can''t, well, that''s life.

Same thing goes for "rescuing" people - there are some you can help, some you can''t.....

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
i just have to pipe in and say i love the pics!!! so fascinating!
9.gif
9.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Awwwww so cute! I want one!!!
12.gif
Tomatoe just has to see this thread.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I wish our reality was different - but it is not. People just drop off their cats in the country. They become our barn kitties. They have a pretty good life. BUT, we must leave the food outside. Nearly 6
6.gif
0 on the button, the same ole possum comes about and eats with the cats. The cats kinda just stare at the possum and think, with bubble above head, "Man, are you one funny lookin cat." They live quite peacefully. This same possum has had babies that come with the her to feed before they move on. This possum is fat as a house & at this point is ancient.

The possum has never been agressive. When confronted, usually turns tail and waddles away. We did have a neighbor''s lab puppies confront it. It played dead - though I imagine could have taken down both pups. I had to remove the pups. The possum stayed "dead" for quite a while - I even thought it may be dead - but eventually waddled away.

We''ve never had any wildlife issues. Most are quite used to humans. We have deer that will eat our hostas that are just a few feet from the house. I have to sho them in a loud voice to get them to move on. The only wildlife I completely avoid are foxes. They are nasty little creatures that are the biggest disease spreader in our neck of the woods.

One of the best parts of living in the country is watching all the wildlife & how peacefully they usually co-exist.

Sweet sweet pics Fortekitty.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 1:38
6.gif
3 AM
Author: ForteKitty

I have some in my backyard right now.. they live in the other dog house, and eat our dog food. They were born in our yard (we think) but their mom got hit by a car, so they never left. We put an old sleeping bag into the dog house for them to sleep in, and when my mom waters her roses they''ll come out and watch her! Those are wild tho... they were quite large when we discovered them. Much bigger than the cutie above!
I have the greatest picture in my mind right now of your mom watering the roses and a group of them lined up watching her... hee hee.

Websailor, thanks for putting my mind at ease about the past cat food feedings- glad we didn''t hurt them. And, yah, we also had racoons and skunks that came in to eat the food as well- the skunks weren''t quite so welcome
2.gif
I love all of your pictures! They are adorable!

Fire & Ice, your home sounds so wonderful with all of the wildlife around it- thanks for sharing!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results