shape
carat
color
clarity

We want your suggestions!

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Our members are the core of our community and we want to try and make accomodations for our great diversity. We are open to new ideas and look forward to hearing what you have to offer.

Together we can make Pricescope even better!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hello Ali,
I would be delighted if we could find a way to be able to share with each other videos of our personnal jewelry and such. I know we have rapidly exchanged words regarding this but maybe others have a way, solution or thoughts on the matter?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Private messaging would be a greatly appreciated addition, I believe.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 8:48:13 PM
Author: Galateia
+1
being able to communicate with other members directly (maybe having a type of message inbox as opposed to instant messaging) would be great!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 9:06:14 PM
Author: Erinleigh
Date: 8/17/2009 8:48:13 PM

Author: Galateia

+1

being able to communicate with other members directly (maybe having a type of message inbox as opposed to instant messaging) would be great!

+2.
I was also going to suggest this.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Private messaging used to be here but unscrupulous vendors used it as a way to harass people about purchases...thus I have to say that I don''t think it''s such a great idea for that reason.

How helpful is PS to newbies if they can be harassed behind the scenes by vendors ya know? I know our beloved PS vendors wouldn''t do that...but there are many that would (and did).

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
We have PM and video exchange under consideration.

Thank for your input.

In order to avoid confusion and give each idea appropriate attention, please start a new topic with your suggestion.

Andrey

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 1:03:27 AM
Author: neatfreak
Private messaging used to be here but unscrupulous vendors used it as a way to harass people about purchases...thus I have to say that I don''t think it''s such a great idea for that reason.

How helpful is PS to newbies if they can be harassed behind the scenes by vendors ya know? I know our beloved PS vendors wouldn''t do that...but there are many that would (and did).

Neatfreak,

To add to that, as an educational forum, we want everyone to have the opportunity to be in on discussions. With private messaging, there is much that would take place without others having the benefit of learning the same info.

Hopefully we can come up with a solution for all of that.

Andrey

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:22:59 AM
Author: PS Admin

Thank for your input.

In order to avoid confusion and give each idea appropriate attention, please start a new topic with your suggestion.

Andrey
Ali & Andrey,

Thank you for posting this. I hope you get really good feedback.

Before I make my suggestion I want to know if I can speak freely without fear of sanction if I bring up a topic that is currently against policy?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:45:24 AM
Date: 8/18/2009 1:03:27 AM

Neatfreak,

To add to that, as an educational forum, we want everyone to have the opportunity to be in on discussions. With private messaging, there is much that would take place without others having the benefit of learning the same info.

Hopefully we can come up with a solution for all of that.

Andrey

Good point Andrey. I hope you can come up with a solution too! It''d be nice to have the ability to talk to other members without fear of harassment by vendors or others...

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 11:15:29 AM
Author: Gailey

Thank for your input.

Andrey
Ali & Andrey,

Before I make my suggestion I want to know if I can speak freely without fear of sanction if I bring up a topic that is currently against policy?
Hi Gailey,

The goal of this section is to give our community a place to offer suggestions so that we can improve pricescope as we go forward.

For example some of the things you will see soon are:
- a new site !!!
- adding images to the post an easier process.
- a better diamond search mechanism
- a better internal search
- a better sleaker image gallery

As stated above the video exchange and PM are under consideration.

You should not feel uncomfortable to bring anything up. Think of this as a sandbox for ideas.

If for any reason you are uncommfortable or just wish to make a suggestion in private, feel free to use the "Report Concern" button.

Ali and I are looking forward to everyones suggestions.

-Andrey

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:57:37 PM

Thank for your input.

Andrey
Ali & Andrey,

Hi Gailey,

The goal of this section is to give our community a place to offer suggestions so that we can improve pricescope as we go forward.

- a new site !!!

You should not feel uncomfortable to bring anything up. Think of this as a sandbox for ideas.

If for any reason you are uncommfortable or just wish to make a suggestion in private, feel free to use the ''Report Concern'' button.

-Andrey
Thanks Andrey (and Ali). I will start a new thread after supper tonight about my suggestions.

But I just wanted to add my thoughts to the PM issue. Have you considered a "semi" private message system? I''m envisaging private messages being vetted by a moderator before being passed on. I would think that would weed out any unscrupulous hounding by vendors. I know it probably means a ton more work for you guys though. Perhaps you could appoint volunteer moderators from long-standing members in good standing.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What if there could be a setting in your personal section part to click to either allow or opt out of vendor emails?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:17:06 PM
Author: packrat
What if there could be a setting in your personal section part to click to either allow or opt out of vendor emails?

The problem wasn''t PS vendors...it was unscrupulous vendors. So those vendors wouldn''t send this as "vendor emails" anyway-they''d be sending "special offers" etc. through PM''s.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 10:45:06 PM

The problem wasn't PS vendors...it was unscrupulous vendors. So those vendors wouldn't send this as 'vendor emails' anyway-they'd be sending 'special offers' etc. through PM's.
Just to add to Neatfreak's post. Think of it as spammer using Private Messaging to spam. It is very difficult to try and do it when it is public, but imagine if it is private.

In addition I just feel it is not appropriate to monitor private messages.

This are just some of the down side of them, but doesn't mean we may not find a solution in the future.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 12:23:35 AM

Date: 8/18/2009 10:45:06 PM

The problem wasn''t PS vendors...it was unscrupulous vendors. So those vendors wouldn''t send this as ''vendor emails'' anyway-they''d be sending ''special offers'' etc. through PM''s.
Just to add to Neatfreak''s post. Think of it as spammer using Private Messaging to spam. It is very difficult to try and do it when it is public, but imagine if it is private.

In addition I just feel it is not appropriate to monitor private messages.

This are just some of the down side of them, but doesn''t mean we may not find a solution in the future.
I sort of agree with this. In fact I remember reading of posters'' outrage when on another forum they realised that their "private" messages weren''t so "private" after all.

My suggestion is slightly different. If you state up front that this is "SEMI-private" from the get-go and that it will be monitored in order to keep out spammers and those with un-scrupulous intentions out, then it becomes the responsibility of the poster as to what they put in their private messages.

I do think that any form of private messaging should be a privilege posters have to earn, perhaps by first clocking up, say 1000 posts, with no bad report card (probably counts me out straight away!). Just an idea ....

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Just saw this new area.

I''ll share 3 items briefly in response to what I''ve read here, and then post on one idea in particular.

First..can you share what is motivating the new site that is being planned for? Just a fresh look? My Giant food store in DC metro just put up a new logo, and when my son asked me why they did that, I was hard pressed to explain.

Second, one change would just be CQI..good things are here, and just be improved, and made better, or made to work. Mentioned in previous posts (or exchanges we''ve had) some of these include:

- Either getting rid of the AGS0 box in the diamond search options now, or explaining better what constraint this is providing when executed.
- Making the local Jeweler Resources area, above, under Resources/local jewelers, responsive to actual recommendations made by writers here.

Third, I think Gailey''s specific sort of suggestion, of requiring a minimum of posts (or Ideal Rock status being a similar threshold) as a requirement for PMs...and this constraint may satisfy the problem...along with allowing the writer to opt in and out of the use of this utility.

Many thanks for all your efforts in this area,

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I would love to have private messaging... i agree with determining a threshold factor so spam is kept to a minimum.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh I''m so glad that you are working on a better search function!! That will be GREAT!

As far as posting pictures, as much as this method is a bit of a pain, I like that the pictures are hosted on the site so they don''t disappear like on some other sites that allow linking to photobucket etc. I hope that stays the same!

Great ideas so far though!

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 1:13:38 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Just saw this new area.

I''ll share 3 items briefly in response to what I''ve read here, and then post on one idea in particular.

First..can you share what is motivating the new site that is being planned for? Just a fresh look? My Giant food store in DC metro just put up a new logo, and when my son asked me why they did that, I was hard pressed to explain.

Second, one change would just be CQI..good things are here, and just be improved, and made better, or made to work. Mentioned in previous posts (or exchanges we''ve had) some of these include:

- Either getting rid of the AGS0 box in the diamond search options now, or explaining better what constraint this is providing when executed.
- Making the local Jeweler Resources area, above, under Resources/local jewelers, responsive to actual recommendations made by writers here.

Third, I think Gailey''s specific sort of suggestion, of requiring a minimum of posts (or Ideal Rock status being a similar threshold) as a requirement for PMs...and this constraint may satisfy the problem...along with allowing the writer to opt in and out of the use of this utility.

Hi Ira,

These are the major motivations for the new site:

* Pricescope infrastructure is reaching limitations due to growth.
* I want to stream line the general look and feel and make navigation easier for everyone.
* The new site should provide an easier infrastructure to add functionality such as better search, nicer gallery system and many other things.
1.gif

etc.

So in general we want to improve and make it fun to be here.

Andrey

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What if the PM could only be used if the person allowed PMs from the other. You would have to select that person from a list to ''allow'' them to PM you--like the Facebook ''friends'' concept.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of PMs but understand why people like them. As long as there is an opt out feature, I am fine with that. But PMs were messy when this site was smaller...I can''t imagine what a zoo it will be now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 5:25:43 PM
Author: october2008bride
Oooh I''m so glad that you are working on a better search function!! That will be GREAT!

As far as posting pictures, as much as this method is a bit of a pain, I like that the pictures are hosted on the site so they don''t disappear like on some other sites that allow linking to photobucket etc. I hope that stays the same!

Great ideas so far though!
Totally agree. Broken links to photos make sites look messy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't have the time to "talk" to anybody most of the time. It isn't that I feel unfriendly; quite the contrary! It is just that my family obligations keep me from engaging in much e-mail or joining any social sites other than Pricscope (which isn't really a social site but is for me).

I do not want my needs to control what happens to other people here. I would not like feeling that there were an absolute ban on my communicating with other Pricescope members off the boards. (I do not know that there is such a ban! I doubt it!) If there were some way for Pricescope to effect our ability to communicate when then desire was reciprocal, I think it would be nice.

I like shimmer's idea that members could choose each other as friends if we had Private Messaging. Another possibility would be to do what eBay does and ask both members if they wanted their e-mail addresses released to each other. The latter possibility would allow us to avoid Private Messaging.

AGBF
34.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/20/2009 7:04:44 PM

Date: 8/19/2009 1:13:38 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Just saw this new area.

Hi Ira,

These are the major motivations for the new site:

* Pricescope infrastructure is reaching limitations due to growth.
* I want to stream line the general look and feel and make navigation easier for everyone.
* The new site should provide an easier infrastructure to add functionality such as better search, nicer gallery system and many other things.
1.gif

etc.

So in general we want to improve and make it fun to be here.

Andrey
Andrey:

I like your ideas...but have a couple concerns...

I hope all the contributed information and posts will be available.

I like the idea of a new site, I would not be happy to see any past posts or contributions wiped out.

I know there is a way to archive posts and make them a part of the new navigation system and hope you keep this in mind.

Being a long time member there are people I would like to connect with and exchange emails, but posting publicly is innappropriate for obvious reasons.
It would be neat to incorporate a feature that lets members choose who they would like to communicate with.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I just now found this new forum!

What a wonderful, gracious topic for you guys (Ali and Andrey) to bring up to us! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I, too, would LOVE to see PMs brought back. It was such a nice way to personally communicate with someone that you just *click* with and want to get to know better. I really, really miss that!

It would also eliminate the existing "Paging So-and-So..." threads, and that would help "clean up" the boards a bit!
1.gif

I do understand the situation of "unscrupulous" vendors possibly trying to sell their wares via PMs, but it could be clearly explained that this was not an appropriate use of PMs, and not allowed. Then if anyone got one of those types of PMs, they could "report" it to Admin, for appropriate action. OR... (oooh! better idea!) maybe a suggestion could simply be that vendors are NOT permitted to PM at all?

Honestly, there's really no reason why a vendor has to have PM capability. Every vendor here clearly states their e-mail address in every post they make (or they should, anyway), so it is not difficult for consumers here to contact a vendor on their own, off the boards.

I don't do Facebook (yet!) so I don't know much about it, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble for Admin, maybe it would be a good idea to kinda be able to set up a "network" of people you PM? I dunno, something like a 1st message saying, "So-and-So would like to PM you. Do you agree to this?" And then a simple confirmation (or not) and it can then happen (or not). But even without that feature, I personally don't see receiving massive quantities of unwanted PMs (from other PS'ers [not vendors, of course] as really being much of a huge problem.

That's my humble 2 cents. And again let me say "WOW!" and that I am so happy and excited to watch for the exciting changes you guys have in mind and come up with. THANK YOU so much for all your time and efforts in making PS such a FUN place to hang out and "play"!!!

36.gif

xoxox!
Lynn

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi Ira and Josh,

The current goal is to transfer all the posts over to the new system, so we do not lose any of the wonderful advice/contribution from the past.

It will basically be the same with a little diffrent look and feel with some new bells and whistles.

We have already run some test and I am happy with the results.
1.gif

Thank you everyone for there suggestions so far.

-Andrey

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:57:37 PM

Thank for your input.

Andrey
Ali & Andrey,

Hi Gailey,

- a new site !!!

If for any reason you are uncommfortable or just wish to make a suggestion in private, feel free to use the ''Report Concern'' button.

-Andrey
Adding images with greater ease!! I was able to post a few pix this weekend and some worked and now I keep getting a error message. I checked the file sizes and they were the same size as the pix that uploaded and less! Its a little frustrating...
20.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
A drop down box or something clickable with all of the smiley dudes. I still can''t figure out how to get the ones not at the bottom of the posting box into posts.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 10:12:31 PM
Author: shimmer
What if the PM could only be used if the person allowed PMs from the other. You would have to select that person from a list to ''allow'' them to PM you--like the Facebook ''friends'' concept.

Another fan of PMing, and I think that this would be an absolutely wonderful idea, if it were possible. If not, the option to allow or not allow PMing in your profile would probably be another suitable solution.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results