shape
carat
color
clarity

We want your suggestions!

I had previously asked the forum whether a slight delay between registering for an account and posting would be helpful, but the consensus was negative for that idea. Some mentioned that new members might be urgently in need of fast answers, as they might be standing in a jewellery shop at the verge of making an expensive decision, so waiting 24 hours or whatever period would discourage new members.

At this point I'm wondering if people would be less averse to instituting a 24 hour delay for only those new members who register as Trade (which so many spammers do) because 1) it would not affect consumers at all, and 2) Trade members are less likely to need immediate assistance on Pricescope.

Thoughts?

I like the thought process, but I have seen some people accidentally sign up as trade when they’re just customers, so they’d be stuck for 24h, though that’s not a huge consequence or anything in my opinion. That being said, I don’t know if there’s a meaningful number of new posters who have done that, so maybe it would be a good idea! The only other possible negatives (devil’s advocate here) are that a) that incentivises spammers to sign up as regular customers not trade, and b) there’s nothing stopping them from spamming from the second day onwards. Perhaps in conjunction with a no of posts per day ban it could work?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like the thought process, but I have seen some people accidentally sign up as trade when they’re just customers, so they’d be stuck for 24h, though that’s not a huge consequence or anything in my opinion. That being said, I don’t know if there’s a meaningful number of new posters who have done that, so maybe it would be a good idea! The only other possible negatives (devil’s advocate here) are that a) that incentivises spammers to sign up as regular customers not trade, and b) there’s nothing stopping them from spamming from the second day onwards. Perhaps in conjunction with a no of posts per day ban it could work?

Thanks for your feedback. You make some good points.
I'm sort of resigned to seeing spam and other spoofy/disingenuous posts (some people will know the signs, like odd phrasing and using the non-word "jewelries" or adding emoticons that are inappropriate). The Nida phenomenon was at least entertaining, but there have been others that were frustrating and not fun as they unfolded.

I'm not sure anything will help. I guess it's just par for the course.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I appreciate all the suggestions and just want to let you know that we are constantly looking and trying to fight Spam. We constantly get a lot of spam that no one ever sees.

We try to use many different software and tactics, but on occasion, the spammer figure out the loopholes.

The goal is to continue to be vigilant against spammers without affecting all members of the community.

Thank you everyone in helping by reporting them when you see them and for being patient as we figure out how to stop them.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I think once we realize someone is a fake, posting pictures that are not theirs- as if they are etc the person needs to be banned; along with their ip address .
I find it very disconcerting that someone like that can still post either as themselves or under a new name.

Also I noticed that once a person creates a post & adds photos they can't be removed. It would be good if they can, in case someone doesn't want their photos posted (for security purposes for example).

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
If you have any images that need to be removed, please click the report concern link at the bottom left of the post and let us know.

Thank you, I considered doing that and actually closing my account after the last faker thing. It really made me nervous so im glad to know it's possible if needed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like being the first to report spam because everyone else is asleep :mrgreen2:

No - serously the spam really really bugs me

I hate to think of the volume we must be getting if systems are able to filter it out before its visible to the
community

I see very little to no spam on my Springsteen forum - admitably its a smaller community about a more specific topic but we still get a few bad apples - we have very specific rules when it comes to reselling tickets and trading recorded material and if they are violated its a ban

Is there still the glitch were some new posters are signed up as trade ?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I had previously asked the forum whether a slight delay between registering for an account and posting would be helpful, but the consensus was negative for that idea. Some mentioned that new members might be urgently in need of fast answers, as they might be standing in a jewellery shop at the verge of making an expensive decision, so waiting 24 hours or whatever period would discourage new members.

At this point I'm wondering if people would be less averse to instituting a 24 hour delay for only those new members who register as Trade (which so many spammers do) because 1) it would not affect consumers at all, and 2) Trade members are less likely to need immediate assistance on Pricescope.

Thoughts?

I like your latest idea/suggestion.

Had another thought about spam - is it possible to have a “report concern” button for a user profile and not just a single thread or comment? Then we as members can just report the user profile, as opposed to reporting each and every thread. Not sure if this makes it easier on mods to catch all spam posts by a user (can you delete all the posts by a user in one go or do you still have to visit each thread manually) or not, but if it does it would be a good option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results