shape
carat
color
clarity

We could use some dust if anyone has some to spare

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
After 5.5 months of living in constant pain, DH is about to have his triple procedure back surgery. I posted the original story in BWW if you want to look it up. Long story short, in May, he was hit by a car in the school parking lot of where he teaches. He was on foot and the kid was trying to splash his friends who were standing on the sidewalk so he sped around a corner and hit DH. We almost had to cancel our wedding in June because of the injuries, DH cannot stand for more than 10 minutes, he cannot walk more than 5 minutes at a time--when he does, he is hunched over and shuffles. Initially, we though that DH only suffered minor injuries. However, besides the damaged done to his right wrist, he stuffered two ruptured discs and two bulging discs in his lower back. It's taken this long for worker's comp to finally agree to surgery.

We have a suit filed against workers comp and the kid's insurance. The kid never received a ticket for reckless driving or suffered any consequences from the accident. DH will be in surgery for about 6 hours, after wards he will wear a brace for 3-6 months. Full recovery is estimated at 2 years. Because of the injuries, DH will not be able to conduct the jazz band and the ochestra--his main jobs, so the school is going to be cutting his pay. We are already tight on money so this is going to make things alot worse. And now with a baby on the way, it looks like things will be even tighter. Luckily, we have his family flying in to help so that I can continue to work.

We are hopeful that this will help put him on the road to a painfree life. Throughout the last 5.5 months DH has been struggling with depression because of his limitations. I am hoping that that will disapate once he's not in pain all the time.

I know alot of dust has been requested lately, if you have any to spare we would appreciate it. Thanks!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Of course I remember. I thought it was so senseless and I felt very angry that the kid was essentially joyriding. It must be vey hard for you both especially as you will be welcoming a new baby into all of this. So my thoughts and prayers (***Dust***) are with your husband that he not feel so sad, and concentrates on his operation and then recovery, plus dust for his surgeons. This was not his fault but getting better is his job now. As for you, you must feel under a significant amount of pressure and it must be hard for you to try and hide it, so of course there is still dust left for you too - what do they say: This too shall pass, and you know what? It is true.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Dust!!!
What an ordeal- I hope the surgery goes well and he will be on the road to recovery soon! Back injuries are so painful and unfortunately take so much time for recovery.
The driver should have been ticketed!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I remember your story and feel so sorry for your husband. It was such an unfortunate accident. Lots of dust is being sent your way!!

My husband suffered a back injury skiing. Same thing, couldn't stand for long, always in pain with back spasms and numbness down his leg. When I was in major labor I had to be the one to stand in line to check in at the hospital because HE had to sit down!!! He finally went for surgery to have the ruptured disc repaired although hemmed and hawed about doing it. Everything went well and as soon as he woke up from the surgery he was pain free. The muscles need to heal but he was relieved of nerve pain and could walk, sit, stand, etc. That was 20 years ago and I am sure they have perfected things since then. I know your husband's injuries are more severe but hopefully he'll get some relief from surgery.

I hope all goes well with you DH's recovery.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
cupcake - I'm afraid I missed the full story of this. I am so so sorry! My father had several herniated discs and it is a long and brutal process. I'm sure it is exhausting and frustrating for you both!!! I'm sending lots of prayers and dust for a successful surgery, successful recovery and success in your suits as well!!!!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust and prayers going out for your husband.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cupcake - I'll be praying for an easy surgery and a quick, full recovery for your DH, and peace and closure for you both.

I remember your story well - I was beyond furious with the little idiot, and I must confess I'll be happy to see him get his due :nono:

Ugh - ::HUG::, dear! I'm so glad DH is finally getting the treatment he needs! And we're here for you ::)

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Happy thoughts and prayers for you and your DH. From what I've seen in my family, the most important thing with back surgery is to rest well and pace yourself.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
prayers outgoing! Please keep us updated.

modernsparkler

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry Cupcake. Lots of dust and thougths your way.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of dust to you and your family, Cupcake. I hope everything goes well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Best wishes to your husband!

I've had a lot of back surgery in the past - both major and minor. The last major one was to take bone away from the inside of the vertebrae and to remove two ruptured discs. They said it would be a 12 week recovery, but I was feeling great within a week. I've never been able to stop the meds, but at least they now control the pain 100% and best of all I can now walk properly again.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember reading about the accident and your decision to go ahead with your wedding. I'm sending huge bucket loads of dust to your husband!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember your situation very well. Sorry to hear that your husband is still in so much pain and is living with limitations that have affected income and lifestyle. Sending dust to him, you and your family caretakers for a successful surgery, strength and a speedy recovery.

Also, how exciting that you and DH are expecting. Congratulations!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, remember your story. Tons of dust your way for a quick recovery. I hope it will be successful in making your hubby pain-free.

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Sending you, DH, and your unborn babe TONS and TONS of DUST !!!!

I was thinking of 'you' just last week and I was wondering how your DH was coming along. So sorry to hear he needs surgery but I hope it brings the results he needs to live a normal, pain free life.

Is is too late for the driver to be charged?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Lots of dust your way! I'm so sorry to hear about the hardship you and your DH are going through.

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the dust. DH had his surgery on Monday. It lasted 4.5 hours. He was in recovery for 2 hours. Surgery went as expected and everything went well. DH spent all of Monday and most of Tuesday out of it and screaming from the pain. Yesterday they unhooked him from all the machines and took out his catheter and his drain (from his back) and the nurses got him up and walking for a little bit. It's been a hard few days. I broke down on Monday seeing him like that...I blamed it on hormones but I'm sure no one bought that. Originally, DH was scheduled to come home today but that will not be happening. Now we are just hoping for him to come home tomorrow.

As for the driver that hit him, he was not charged at the time but we have asked that the lawyer request his driver's license be taken away since where we live, kids drive on a a restricted license until a certain age and if they mess up during that time, it can be revoked up to the age of 25. I think it is unfair for the kid to walk away, unscathed, with no repricussions for his actions.

Thank you again and I hope we can get him home and get him back on his feet as soon as possible. It's horrible watching him struggle and not be able to do anything. It is also very hard to see him walk since it's like he's learning how to do it all over again.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
My heart breaks for you. It sound like your poor husband is really suffering and I imagine that is tortuous to watch. I can't do any more than wish you both good luck in his recovery. Give him support and give him space. ***healing**** and ***end to pain*** dust.

Supporting your husband and baking your child, that is all you can do and you are doing it perfectly by the sounds of it.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Oh Cupcake! Huge hugs to you and your DH. I'm glad the surgery went well and hope that his recovery onyl gets better from here! I think it's a great idea to ask that the kid's license be revoked until he's 25. 1. To protect others from his reckless driving 2. To teach him that there are consequences for his actions.

Huge, huge hugs!!!!!!!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Cupcake - I continue to keep you and your hubby in my thoughts.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Cupcake my heart breaks for you. Tons of dust and prayers and well wishes for you, your husband and your bun in the oven. Please remember to take good care of yourself, too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, cupcake, I'm so, so sorry :(sad

I really hope his recovery is easier, and that he comes home soon. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you, and I'm praying for you, your DH, and your little one.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember your DH's story well. Hugs to you, and prayers for his full recovery.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Much dust to you and your DH.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do remember reading about your husband last Spring. I hope the surgery was successful and he's on the road to recovery. Can you get lost wages from the kids insurance?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cupcake I hope DH is recovering better! My thoughts remain with your family.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my lord, what a story! I truly hope he gets through his surgery safely and he recovers quickly!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
I do remember reading about your husband last Spring. I hope the surgery was successful and he's on the road to recovery. Can you get lost wages from the kids insurance?

That was my question too.

It doesn't seem right :nono: :nono: :nono:

Also ask his benefits person (maybe his union person?) to see if there is some coverage in his insurance ---- my mom (who works for a school district) has been out of work with a herniated disc for a few months (1/2 time for the last year or better) and will be going in for her surgery the day before Thanksgiving. She had some coverage so she's been getting most of what she should have been getting even though she couldn't do a portion of her job. (It will cause potential problems when she goes back to work -- may be reduced paychecks because of what she's been getting now??)

I'm glad the surgery went well. Lots and lots of dust and positive thoughts for you & your DH (& your LO!!! --- congratulations!!)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
course i remember

dust and prayers to you and your husband!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results