shape
carat
color
clarity

Ways to size an E-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spunger

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I ended up ordering a size 7 E-ring for my bride to be. I gave it to her and it was cold out at the time and it just slid right on. Now over the weekend (she''s had the ring 4-5 days now) when her fingers swelled up it did fit better. Now at work when I asked her how it was fitting she said it''d slid all over the place.

My question is......how hard is it to get something added to it (like the sizer balls I''ve been reading about) or the little prongs on it to take up some of the slack, and make it fit better until she decides to have it sized once and for all? I know we''d like to avoid anything permenent (like cutting the ring, taking a piece out and having it placed back together). It is in Platinum so I''m guessing they must be Platinum balls? Can sizer balls go in 1/4 ring sizes?

Any idea''s on how much it''d run to have something like this done and the time frame? I know she''d have to give it up anyways so that may be just how it goes.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring sounds like it needs a re-sizing, not an addition of anything to make it fit tighter. I know you have some idea in your mind that you don''t want it cut, but unless it is quite an unusual ring, the cut won''t do anything adverse and since the ring is platinum, the seam will be welded, not soldered, closed. This will not leave any seam if it is properly done.

There is probably someone local to you that won''t overcharge you and who will do the work while you wait or during a few hours if you leave it.

Putting balls or springs inside rings is for large knuckles and arthritic joints, not new rings for people without finger joint problems.

spunger

Rough_Rock
So........the million dollar question........is it expensive to have rings re-sized? I only ask because she has 2 of them (as the rings were a set). I know that when I''ve asked the company who makes them (precision set)they go blah blah all work has to be done by one of their dealers. We didn''t get the set from one of their dealers. If the basket cracked off or something then sure I could see that, but I didn''t think warranty on rings was like it is on electronics.

I know we talked about it. Using a generic ring sizer her finger was a 7. Now.....there are rings that are a large 7 vs. a small 7 correct? I know I gave her a ring at one point that was a 6.5 and it was tight then......now she can''t wear it. So I know her finger is atleast a 6.75-7, somewhere in there.

What exactly do they do? The ring has stones to a point on the sides, and on the bridge of the ring. It''s their model number 7728. It drives me nuts not having it fit right....it''s like buying a $10,000 pair of shoes that are too small or big.

Thanks for the help!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it have the leaf pattern all around the ring? If so, I would send it back to be sized unfortunately because a regular jeweler is not going to be able to replicate that pattern once they size it.

If it doesn''t have the pattern the whole way around, then you theoretically can bring it to anyone to be sized. But if it will void some warranty you have with precision set, I''d just send it back to them...

spunger

Rough_Rock
Thank god it doesn''t have that scribing all around it. In fact the bottom has a decent length of regular platinum.

We''re going to check into it this week, hopefully it''s not too much money to resize them. What sucks even more is that if she wears both rings (wedding + ering) then things fit fine. We really don''t want to mess with the size too much until she looses the weight that she wants to. I know her finger will go no lower than a 6.5......but as it is it fluctuates so much it''s hard to say. My finger doesn''t change hardly at all, but hers is another story.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm ... well, if you think her ring size is going to be fluctuating in the near future, perhaps it might be a good idea to look into a temporary sizer? They sell little plastic ones at stores like Claire''s, I think (basically just little bits of plastic tubing with a slit in one side).

spunger

Rough_Rock
So she tried on the wedding band as well.........and lone behold it fits better. She claims that her finger can swell enough to make her ring basically slid off and on with no effort. She has a ring that I gave her years ago which we aimed it down to a 6.5 (could even be a 6.25) and that ring when her fingers are small.........goes on super hard. I can imagine when her fingers swell that ring would be uncomfortable.

She''s looking at loosing a lot of weight. Not just 20 or 30lbs.........probably twice that much. She knows that her finger will get smaller and hopefully our lifestyles will keep it that way. That''s why we were hoping of something less permenent that we could do so it fits better now......but when things stablize that we can get them sized once and for all.

We might try the jewler option though. We went to 3-4 different places, all which sized her a 7.......so when I ordered a 7 and knew it would fit I was happy........now I''m just irratated that it slides all over the place.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
See, that''s the interesting, individual aspect to all of this: some women''s fingers *really* change shape depending on the weather, the time of the month, weight loss or gain, etc., and some women''s ... don''t. (Lucky!) I''m in the former category right along-side your fiancee (hey, congratulations, btw!) ... I used a sizer and waited until after the wedding to alter the e-ring, thinking that it might fit better with the wedding band, and now it fits my right hand perfectly ... so long as it''s warm. Sigh.

Given the circumstances, I''d say try either sizing balls or a horseshoe sizer, and then once her size settles, have it permanently altered: having it sized down a quarter size, and then another quarter, and another and another as the months pass doesn''t sound like something that would be good for either the ring''s structural integrity, or your own peace of mind.

spunger

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the help! I have held off on a review from who we purchased from as it''s been up and down.......but this site helped me to make a choice and take a dive. For the most part things have gone well though.

I know she wants to wait until things are more "settled" with her fingers......but I am guessing that they will never be. She''ll probably always have finger swelling issues. The sizer beads look funny.........but the spring is a good idea. They way her setting is there is room to resize when the day comes. We''ll have to hit our local jewler up and ask about what options we have for sizing them besides cutting into it.

It''s weird being engaged.........(it''s been 7 1/2 years dating) so it''s new. Now instead of looking at things we have to really sit and think what we want instead of what we like. I''m glad to finally have done it though. It makes life move on :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results