shape
carat
color
clarity

Ways to bring down setting cost for inexpensive CSs

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I tried Ivy & Rose. Surprisingly expensive for a very basic setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind sharing the name of the vendor?

She’s a Chinese vendor, but I don’t think she’s on Etsy anymore because I can’t find my original purchase. If you have a standard size calibrated setting, there are many places you can buy inexpensive but nice quality silver rings, and just switch out the stone. For example, this was QVC Diamonique plantinum plated cz ring, and I put a $60, 8mm blue zircon in it. The band next to it is pure platinum and real diamonds.
092ED3C0-676D-4B4E-AF61-030560D63DF8.jpeg

If you don’t like cz, then you can go with small white zircon melee. I got this setting from JTV, and popped out the unattractive gem and reolaced it with a $10 blue Madagascar apatite that I love. The setting was like $20 on clearance and it’s got a Euro shank and is quite heavy. Those are real White zircon. 69AFC8E4-2686-42C3-99A0-351BB0524BB2.jpeg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@LightBright, I had Jen Lawler Designs (on Etsy) create a custom pendant in argentium (though she more frequently works in regular sterling). Although I have regrets about the piece and there was ...miscommunication?...conflict?...regarding the design, the craftsmanship was good. I don't think I'd have her do custom work again, but I would buy one of her own designs (either premade or a duplicate piece in argentium).

I bought an argentium chain from Verbena Place Jewelry (also Etsy) that I'm happy with. I can't speak to their other jewelry.

Daniel M (also Etsy) is experienced in argentium, and he also does silver repair work. I've had him make several pieces for me in gold and am quite satisfied. He is who I plan to reach out to for argentium pieces in the future.

I've had some other small pieces made by others, but wouldn't recommend, so I'm leaving them off this list.

I second Dan M. He has a couple pieces on his sold page that are lab stones in lovely settings. He does great bezel work, quite a few of us have used him. He can also do the setting in gold and band in silver.

I have my lab pad en route to him and CAD, full melee, gold (entire ring), setting etc etc is coming in under $650. Had I wanted a plain bezel it would have been MUCH less. You will have to ship your stone to the US.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a reasonable cost for a setting? I have a new spinel that I’m determined to set soon, I’m also in the UK. I’ve had a quote from Ivy and Rose which runs at about $600 but I’ll need to have it set over here. Certainly the cost is way less than the stone but I can’t decide if it’s ok or not. Trouble is, what to do if not?? I’d love to go the David Klass route but I expect that would be waaay more $$$?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bench I used has responded to say they can work with Silver for me.

I have asked for 2 quotes to be provided, one in 9K WG and one in Rhodium plated Silver, for a bezel set ring with a metal halo, comfort band 4mm at the top, 3mm at the bottom.

The stone is a step cut, about 7mm, medium to light blue, of unknown type. It was given to me by my late grandmother. It is unlikely to be worth much if anything, hence I do not wish to spend a lot on setting it.

See how it goes.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Snowdrop13 have you found a bench in UK to set the stone for you?

Setting fee appears to vary widely, and I would advise getting a quote from a bench first.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Snowdrop13 have you found a bench in UK to set the stone for you?

Setting fee appears to vary widely, and I would advise getting a quote from a bench first.

I’ve had a recommendation for a local jeweller which I’m going to explore first. I love the idea of creating my own jewellery but goodness, what a faff! I’ve already seen another spinel I like, but I think it will have to wait until I see how this first project goes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone is interested, this is a screenshot of the differences in price for the same 2ct OEC Moissy to be set in the same setting design in different metals.

DifferenceInPrice.JPG

For me personally, I am leaning towards low content gold. However, if the bench I use can Rhodium-plate Silver, then I may go for that.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey @dk168 you may have seen these responses in the other threads I’d asked re: MMD and moissy settings but just consolidating them here for easy reference:

Hi - not sure where you are based. But if you're looking for ready-cut lab sides you should check out Neo Lab Diamonds - out of Toronto. They have an Instagram page with some of their stones and are really responsive to requests. The best tip I can give you, having recently gone through the process of buying lab sides, is ask for videos and mm measurements.

Vijay is the only one I know that is doing the smaller MMD stones so far. I haven’t seen them from Tianyu or the other vendors in these really small sizes unless they are custom ordered.

I would suggest just buying them loose. You can look here or under loose stones for individual sizes or pairs

This is Goldenbird’s lab diamond shop. You have to stay on top of Vijay if you make a ring. I would suggest getting loose stones and then making it more locally or with an online vendor.

Most of the moissanite side stones are not that great. If you are on a budget, then I would go with Tianyu or Mona to make a ring and give them the dimensions for a center stone.

I think the MMD’s are worth it. For two side stones, it is a couple hundred compared to something like $1200-$1500. You can get them loose and put what you save towards a ring.

I forgot to mention Ivy & Rose as well. I bought a pair of diamond baguettes as side stones for a moissanite center ring last year. It is still a little more expensive then MMD’s but still much cheaper then mined prices.

Ivy & Rose has these very nice half moon’s or epaulette’s. Setting fee’s are about $150 with a jeweler for the center. I wouldn’t pay more than that.

And thanks again @swaye2010 and @DiamondLizzy

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It will probably not reduce your cost enough for these particular stones, but I found I could significantly reduce the cost of a custom Caimao ring with Kyo by buying the melee diamonds separately from Karen Rosengart and sending them to China to take advantage of their low labor costs for gem setting. They were happy to set my own melee. Disclaimer that I have not yet completed this project to see how satisfied I am, but so far it is going very well.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Polyhex the bench I use in China can supply and make jewellery pieces with Moissy.

They will also set any stone that I send them, including lab/MMD diamonds as well as Moissy.

I am leaning towards using Moissy for the inexpensive CSs, and labs/MMDs for the nicer ones, and mined diamonds for my best CSs.

The gold content will also go up, 9K for the inexpensive ones, or even Rhodium-plated Silver; and 14K for my best CSs (I am fine with 14K, no need for 18K for me personally).

It is highly unlikely I would use platinum again, unless I re-set my large EC.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
In case anyone is interested, this is a screenshot of the differences in price for the same 2ct OEC Moissy to be set in the same setting design in different metals.

DifferenceInPrice.JPG

For me personally, I am leaning towards low content gold. However, if the bench I use can Rhodium-plate Silver, then I may go for that.

...yeah, if it's only like $100 more I'd go for the low-carat gold too :razz: It seems like not too much more for some extra durability.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to threadjack but PreRaphaelite, can you share roughly the cost for a bezel rebuild? I might need to do that soon... I want to prong a current bezel in an antique ring.

Not sure if you meant Preraphaelite or myself since it was my comment but if you email me I’ll share that info privately. Sorry, I’m iffy about sharing vendor quotes publicly. I also don’t get notifications on a lot of things...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bench I used has responded to say they can work with Silver for me.

I have asked for 2 quotes to be provided, one in 9K WG and one in Rhodium plated Silver, for a bezel set ring with a metal halo, comfort band 4mm at the top, 3mm at the bottom.

The stone is a step cut, about 7mm, medium to light blue, of unknown type. It was given to me by my late grandmother. It is unlikely to be worth much if anything, hence I do not wish to spend a lot on setting it.

See how it goes.

The quotes have been received, and the 9K WG version is nearly 3x as much as the silver one!

No prize in guessing which version I would opt for.

Just checking if it is Rhodium-plated silver.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results