shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable settings/side stones

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I posted a similar thread in the lab diamond forum asking fellow sisters if anyone knows where to buy MMD or moissy sides. Am looking for traps and crescents. Or ready made settings with MMD or moissy sides? I’m sitting on a pile of stones and would like to set them affordably.

And a few questions:

- pros/cons of MMD vs moissy sides? Has anyone tried both and which one did you prefer or would recommend more?
- where to buy from? If any recommended vendor/s can you pls share links?
- anything I should look out for when buying them (cut, color, etc)

And if you can share pics I’ll be most grateful.

Also, does it make sense to get the setting made in China or India along with the stones (assuming that’s where the man made side stones will come from)? Then I can just plonk my stone into the setting? Has anyone tried that?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Vijay is the only one I know that is doing the smaller MMD stones so far. I haven’t seen them from Tianyu or the other vendors in these really small sizes unless they are custom ordered.

I would suggest just buying them loose. You can look here or under loose stones for individual sizes or pairs

This is Goldenbird’s lab diamond shop. You have to stay on top of Vijay if you make a ring. I would suggest getting loose stones and then making it more locally or with an online vendor.

Most of the moissanite side stones are not that great. If you are on a budget, then I would go with Tianyu or Mona to make a ring and give them the dimensions for a center stone.

I think the MMD’s are worth it. For two side stones, it is a couple hundred compared to something like $1200-$1500. You can get them loose and put what you save towards a ring.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This is Goldenbird’s lab diamond shop. You have to stay on top of Vijay if you make a ring. I would suggest getting loose stones and then making it more locally or with an online vendor.

Most of the moissanite side stones are not that great. If you are on a budget, then I would go with Tianyu or Mona to make a ring and give them the dimensions for a center stone.

I think the MMD’s are worth it. For two side stones, it is a couple hundred compared to something like $1200-$1500. You can get them loose and put what you save towards a ring.

Thanks so much! Appreciate your insight. Yes that’s exactly what I’m trying to do, put what I save into other stuff instead (since am not that fussed over earth mined or MMD for side stones.

Thanks again!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! Appreciate your insight. Yes that’s exactly what I’m trying to do, put what I save into other stuff instead (since am not that fussed over earth mined or MMD for side stones.

Thanks again!

I forgot to mention Ivy & Rose as well. I bought a pair of diamond baguettes as side stones for a moissanite center ring last year. It is still a little more expensive then MMD’s but still much cheaper then mined prices.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting settings made then add the main stones later is doable, however one needs to invest on a good pair of calipers to take accurate measurements, including the depth of the stone.

A competent local bench is required to set the stones, not all benches would set client's stones, and a setting fee is involved.

DK :))

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Ivy & Rose has these very nice half moon’s or epaulette’s. Setting fee’s are about $150 with a jeweler for the center. I wouldn’t pay more than that.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to post something similar but came across this thread

I bought an emerald very cheaply (under 70USD) and I am going to set it in sterling silver and was thinking of moissanite side stones but I didn't realise MMD were available so cheaply

@swaye2010 I gather Vijay takes awhile with a ring but is he quite quick to ship stones?

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
If you find a setting and need your stone set, I've had good luck with quickjewelryrepair.com. They are priced really affordably and their work is solid. The last time that I used them, I paid about $50 to have a 14k setting cleaned up, sized, and a stone set. I'm not sure if I would use them for family heirlooms, but for my play jewelry, they've done a great job.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to post something similar but came across this thread

I bought an emerald very cheaply (under 70USD) and I am going to set it in sterling silver and was thinking of moissanite side stones but I didn't realise MMD were available so cheaply

@swaye2010 I gather Vijay takes awhile with a ring but is he quite quick to ship stones?

I know that the corona virus has slowed him down a bit. I think they have had a hard time getting things into India then out right now though. If you can look at some of his loose stones in stock and see if you can find anything that works for your project. I would think if he has it in stock that it would be about a month but Vijay will tell you for sure. I know people on Reddit are still ordering from them on a pretty regular basis. I would send him a note through etsy.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm bumping this thread because I looked at some of the sites mentioned, NeoLab , Ouros, etc and I don't see any trap side stones. For NeoLab side stones don't come up in a search at all. Any other places that might have them? I have a tourmaline now that I was thinking of going to side stone route or the halo route; do ppl even do lab melee for halo??

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
I would suggest checking out Neo Lab Diamonds. They are based in Toronto and have a huge selection of side stone pairs in MMD - I find it easiest to contact them instead of looking at the website. I have bought from them before and was super happy. I know DiamondRensu via their website or Etsy also does moissy side stones. Good luck

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would suggest checking out Neo Lab Diamonds. They are based in Toronto and have a huge selection of side stone pairs in MMD - I find it easiest to contact them instead of looking at the website. I have bought from them before and was super happy. I know DiamondRensu via their website or Etsy also does moissy side stones. Good luck

Yes I wrote them on their IG but haven't heard back so I will look at their website email. I also contacted Ouros on Etsy and they did write asking me a couple of questions but I'd rather have it shipped from CA than India because I'm assuming it would be quicker!!

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Yes I wrote them on their IG but haven't heard back so I will look at their website email. I also contacted Ouros on Etsy and they did write asking me a couple of questions but I'd rather have it shipped from CA than India because I'm assuming it would be quicker!!

If you struggle to get a hold of them let me know I have contact details :) - and will find a way (likely via Loupe Troop) to get them to you.

Edited to say: generally shipping to the UK from India via express shipping has been about 5 days.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If you struggle to get a hold of them let me know I have contact details :) - and will find a way (likely via Loupe Troop) to get them to you.

Edited to say: generally shipping to the UK from India via express shipping has been about 5 days.

That’s quite fast. I am in the US. Loop Troop has been down because they are redoing their site which is quite vexing! Neolab just wrote me back and asked me a couple of questions about sizing.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
They wrote back when I told him that I think the stones would be probably around 3.9 mm long and said that was too small for what they made. That doesn’t sound right to me because they were specifically talking about side stone pairs. Then they sent me a chart saying these are the smaller sizes they offer but I do not understand these numbers. Can anyone weigh in?

37BCD59D-DEAE-4A2E-979B-44373045EED8.jpeg

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Okay that sounds a bit confused. Do you think he/she maybe thought you meant your stones (centre stones are 3.9mm)? Only explanation I can think of :) When I purchased bullet side stones they were 0.63ct total weight - first column. The length and width last two columns in mm.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Okay that sounds a bit confused. Do you think he/she maybe thought you meant your stones (centre stones are 3.9mm)? Only explanation I can think of :) When I purchased bullet side stones they were 0.63ct total weight - first column. The length and width last two columns in mm.

Yeah so I think I said that the sides of my stone is 3.9 mm and that my sides stones may need to be about 3.5mm long. Now that I see the chart I see the shortest is the 3.9mm. Because I was thinking that usually the side stones don't measure the exact length of the side of the main stone. But I'm kind of surprised that something that is 3.9 - 4.10 mm long is so light in ctw. I just went ahead and asked what the pricing was for the 3.9 just to get an idea.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@RockFox what was the size of your center stone?

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
I agree with you - I was totally surprised and the length/width to carat weight ratio. But they ended up being really beautiful and everything was verified by an independent lab in London. 44B782AB-1354-446C-9C94-2B1C11D2C02B.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you - I was totally surprised and the length/width to carat weight ratio. But they ended up being really beautiful and everything was verified by an independent lab in London. 44B782AB-1354-446C-9C94-2B1C11D2C02B.jpeg

Pretty!!! Really nice! If I end up going this route I just hope that it works to cobble together center, sides, and have someone else set.

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I have my fingers crossed for you. And am sure it will work out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results