shape
carat
color
clarity

WAVY GIRDLE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ravakp

Rough_Rock
Hi,
We are in the process of purchasing a large diamond. Its a vs2 and I color.
The diamond is very beautiful and clean, however, two facets are too shallow and causes a wave in the girdle.
Apart from that the diamond is truly gorgeous with clarity more like a VS1 and the sparkle is outstanding. The GIA report says ''good'' for symmetry. I was reading that a wavy girdle should be rated as ''fair'' or ''poor''?
Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The GIA report says 'good' for symmetry. I was
reading that a wavy girdle should be rated as 'fair'
or 'poor'?
-----------

Not necessarily. It depends on what degree of "waviness" the girdle has. If GIA graded this one with good symmetry, then you can bet it's not bad enough for a fair or poor rating.

ravakp

Rough_Rock
I am in love with this diamond!!
It's 3.57 ct I color VS2 (although it took 2 jewelers 1/2 hour under microscope to even think they saw something!)It's beautiful...except for that wave.... how much do you think something like this is worth? and should I purchase?
depth 60 %, table 59 %, measurements 9.98 x 9.89 x 6.02mm, G G N
Thanks for your reply in advance!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Purchase if it feels right. As for pricing, check out Pricescope.com's comparison engine on the main page, put in a similar carat range, the I VS details and then search. Find something similar to what you have and/or take a range of numbers and see if your stone fits within the range..and if you feel comfortable with it.

If so, and it checked out with the appraisers (was it appraised or just viewed by jewelers?)...good luck!! Sometimes it's the odd stones that have one or two details a little off that make for the most interesting buys.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's a big big stone! I just want you to know that #'s are important, but them most important thing is how the stone looks to your eye! That's it! However, since we're evaluating a stone without seeing it, try to get a Sarin or OGI report... This will help us -- we'll be able to tell you if this diamond has good proportions or if it's a dog!
BTW, sounds like you're in love with this particualr stone, and that's the most important!!
1.gif
1.gif

ravakp

Rough_Rock
We got the stone appraised and it was appraised as 10K more. Is this normal? Some lower carats I have seen advertise as "will appraise twice" of what you pay. Anyways the appraiser mentioned that to the eye the stone's color looked to be one or two grades higher. I liked that!!
2.gif

Moreover, he said the wave in the girdle is not a 'flaw' as I called it. He mentioned sometimes they try to get the biggest cut diamond out of what they have and it causes this wave. He added that the diamond looks very good and that once set, you would never even see the wave. Now saying all this, he can not recommend or not recommend buying any stone.
Anyways, it is so gorgeous, I think it's mine!!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not untypical for a stone to appraise at significantly more than what you pay. Depending on the appraiser, some will be more conservative, some will give you an appraisal that is inflated for retail. If you love the stone, things sound good..

good luck! post pictures when you get them..we'd love to see this monster!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results