shape
carat
color
clarity

*waves hi* combatting my impatience with posting...

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey there! :wavey: As I mentioned in the LIW list thread, I know this forum has very little activity, but posting is helping me channel some of my excitement, so here we go...

The relationship story: I'm in my 40s, actively co-parent a kiddo with a guy I'm not romantically involved with, met my SO when my son was about 6 months old. I definitely wasn't looking for a relationship at that time, but life has a way of happening when you least expect it :) We started seriously discussing our future and marriage this past fall. It's been a great relationship and I'm beyond thrilled to be in this place with this person :)

The ring story: He brought up the question of what sort of ring I might like mid-January. (As background: I was married once before but there wasn't a proposal, my ex and I just mutually decided to get married. I didn't have an engagement ring, and wore a 3-row pave-set eternity band post-wedding. So, I'd never tried on rings before.) We ended up going to a couple of BAM stores to try out different metals, settings, carat weights, because I had absolutely no clue what I wanted aside from "not too big" and "kinda simple, but maybe with a tiny bit of extra something on the sides." We were on the same page almost immediately. Now, I tend towards micromanaging purchases, always trying to optimize options, but after our exploratory shopping he asked to take the wheel from that point on, and to let it be a surprise. So, after some last gentle guidance about preferences, I let the topic go. Which I'm sure PSers will understand can be quite a challenge :lol:

So... here I am. I'm nearly certain, though he's mostly been discreet, that he visited a few different places and had something made around the first or second week of February. I'm absolutely terrible at waiting, once I make up my mind that something is going to happen I tend to charge forward, I am bursting at the seams but trying to be cool. "Being cool" consists of reading the forums, especially related threads (under 1ct stones, 3 stone rings, how long did he take to propose after buying the ring ;)) ) and sometimes, when I see a ring that looks a bit like what we discussed, holding the picture up to my hand and squinting :lol:

Dust to all my fellow ladies-in-waiting!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
That's so exciting!

I'm actually picking up my mom's old ring on Wednesday, then my boyfriend will eventually take it to a jeweler to get a new setting made.

I'm so thrilled for you! I'm half your age (I'm going to be 22 in a few weeks) but I'm so happy you've found love. I'm sure you'll have a ring on your finger by summer.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Marquise_Madness|1456804614|3997704 said:
I'm actually picking up my mom's old ring on Wednesday, then my boyfriend will eventually take it to a jeweler to get a new setting made.

Hey Marquise_Madness! I saw your previous post in Hangout. How lucky, you to get to use your mom's old set to make something new for you! Very special :)) How did you and your boyfriend meet? Have you been together long?

I'm sure you'll have a ring on your finger by summer.

Girl. LET'S HOPE IT'S BEFORE THAT :lol: Honestly it's been just over a month since he brought me to our local jewelers (after which he started mysteriously having "errands" to run after work...) and I'm proud of myself for staying calm this long. It's a little excited for the ring, a LOT excited to be on the road to being married!

It's funny, SO and I have talked about timelines and such, and discussed if we were in our 20s (like you!) there is just more time to spread it out. But we're older (I just turned 41) and we want to see if we might still be able to have a child (my son is 2) but both want to be married before trying... and since that's the case we've been committed to talking about things early and often, and progressing the relationship in a timely manner. All indications are that a proposal is coming soon... but of course, as I've read in other posts on this forum, there's girl soon and boy soon. ;))

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very excited for both of you! The waiting is the hardest part.

Sending PS proposal dust to each of you!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
elizabethess|1456843304|3997851 said:

Hey Marquise_Madness! I saw your previous post in Hangout. How lucky, you to get to use your mom's old set to make something new for you! Very special :)) How did you and your boyfriend meet? Have you been together long?

I'm sure you'll have a ring on your finger by summer.

Girl. LET'S HOPE IT'S BEFORE THAT :lol: Honestly it's been just over a month since he brought me to our local jewelers (after which he started mysteriously having "errands" to run after work...) and I'm proud of myself for staying calm this long. It's a little excited for the ring, a LOT excited to be on the road to being married!

It's funny, SO and I have talked about timelines and such, and discussed if we were in our 20s (like you!) there is just more time to spread it out. But we're older (I just turned 41) and we want to see if we might still be able to have a child (my son is 2) but both want to be married before trying... and since that's the case we've been committed to talking about things early and often, and progressing the relationship in a timely manner. All indications are that a proposal is coming soon... but of course, as I've read in other posts on this forum, there's girl soon and boy soon. ;))

Mr. Boyfriend met online (on Reddit, of all places) in May 2012. We realized we lived close together pretty early on, and we bit the bullet in August 2012 and met in person, and from there we became pretty close and became a couple in October 2012.

I'm very fortunate to have my mom's old diamond. She didn't want to sell it, but she didn't want to wear it either. I'm happy it'll see the light of day again!

Oooh- I think you'll get the ring really soon. Don't worry about getting pregnant. My apartment neighbor just had a surprise baby at 45 with fibroids the size of a tennis ball! I'm excited for you!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Marquise_Madness|1456979668|3998937 said:
Mr. Boyfriend met online (on Reddit, of all places) in May 2012.

Of course, I just said to myself, 'Hmm, wonder if there is a subreddit for that?"... and there is indeed /r/WeMetOnReddit :bigsmile:

My guy and I met at an event for Ingress (GPS-based massive multiplayer game) which is not the same as meeting online, but similarly complex to explain sometimes!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1456848899|3997899 said:

Thank you!!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
elizabethess|1457016430|3999072 said:
Marquise_Madness|1456979668|3998937 said:
Mr. Boyfriend met online (on Reddit, of all places) in May 2012.

Of course, I just said to myself, 'Hmm, wonder if there is a subreddit for that?"... and there is indeed /r/WeMetOnReddit :bigsmile:

My guy and I met at an event for Ingress (GPS-based massive multiplayer game) which is not the same as meeting online, but similarly complex to explain sometimes!

I actually met him on /r/TwoXChromosomes. I was talking about my breast reduction and posted photos and stuff... it was amusing. He saw my boobs before my face.

That's so cool that you met yours at a gaming meetup!

mary poppins|1456848899|3997899 said:

Thanks! I'm starting to get antsy. I don't think boyfriend understands how expensive stuff is. I told him about insuring the ring and he said that it sounded stupid...

JDF617

Rough_Rock
Bump

Hey there! :wavey: As I mentioned in the LIW list thread, I know this forum has very little activity, but posting is helping me channel some of my excitement, so here we go...

The relationship story: I'm in my 40s, actively co-parent a kiddo with a guy I'm not romantically involved with, met my SO when my son was about 6 months old. I definitely wasn't looking for a relationship at that time, but life has a way of happening when you least expect it :) We started seriously discussing our future and marriage this past fall. It's been a great relationship and I'm beyond thrilled to be in this place with this person :)

The ring story: He brought up the question of what sort of ring I might like mid-January. (As background: I was married once before but there wasn't a proposal, my ex and I just mutually decided to get married. I didn't have an engagement ring, and wore a 3-row pave-set eternity band post-wedding. So, I'd never tried on rings before.) We ended up going to a couple of BAM stores to try out different metals, settings, carat weights, because I had absolutely no clue what I wanted aside from "not too big" and "kinda simple, but maybe with a tiny bit of extra something on the sides." We were on the same page almost immediately. Now, I tend towards micromanaging purchases, always trying to optimize options, but after our exploratory shopping he asked to take the wheel from that point on, and to let it be a surprise. So, after some last gentle guidance about preferences, I let the topic go. Which I'm sure PSers will understand can be quite a challenge :lol:

So... here I am. I'm nearly certain, though he's mostly been discreet, that he visited a few different places and had something made around the first or second week of February. I'm absolutely terrible at waiting, once I make up my mind that something is going to happen I tend to charge forward, I am bursting at the seams but trying to be cool. "Being cool" consists of reading the forums, especially related threads (under 1ct stones, 3 stone rings, how long did he take to propose after buying the ring ;)) ) and sometimes, when I see a ring that looks a bit like what we discussed, holding the picture up to my hand and squinting :lol:

Dust to all my fellow ladies-in-waiting!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What's the bump for? :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results