shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch rating scale (attn: Diamondfan, Widget, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about a rhr project, but in reality, I wear a watch everyday and I rarely wear a rhr. So I am glad we got on the watch subject, because the watch is so much more practical and functional as well!

I am also interested in the online dealer question. I''d love to be able to get a more dressy watch and an everyday watch, but there''s no way I can do both now unless I buy online. Have any of you with higher end watches had a reason to need repairs within the first 3 years. I''ve never had trouble with my lower priced watches such as Seiko and Citizen, so I feel sort of safe about buying a good watch online if I can identify a vendor with a decent in-house warranty. I hope we can find someone who has bought online.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind some watch "brands" are not allowed to be retailed on line (Rolex being one of them - it voids their warrantee). Also, make sure the e-tailer is an authorized dealer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time the online vendors are not authorized dealers. If they were authorized, they wouldn''t be free to discount to the degree they do. Some do have their own warranties, though. I just don''t think that there is a lot that can go wrong with a quartz watch. My understanding is that there is little difference in quality of the workings of a quartz watch from the high end to low end brands. I once read that a couple of companies make the majority of insides for quartz watches. I seem to recall that Swatch was one of them. So the quality of the case, bracelet, and name brand are mainly what you are paying for.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i do not know if this will interest you or not but i found authorized dealers and called around and did a phone deal and it was shipped. i was able to negotiate a good discount also. i was looking at breitling and rolex and selected breitling.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Crown1!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
thanks harriette, but i have had it a year.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2007 8:14:40 PM
Author: crown1
i do not know if this will interest you or not but i found authorized dealers and called around and did a phone deal and it was shipped. i was able to negotiate a good discount also. i was looking at breitling and rolex and selected breitling.
1.gif
That is great! Want to share your vendor''s name?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
it was reising jewelers and gemologists in cincinnati, ohio. i have only done business with them that one time. i purchased last may and have had no problems. i did know the exact watch i wanted when i called and they had it. i actually became fond of the watch seeing it posted by an old ps member. it was matatora. she was so happy with her''s and i loved the look. hth.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! It would certainly be better to buy from an authorized retailer, and it can''t hurt to price shop even with regular jewelers.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the top 3 (rating 7++) are Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet.
The next 2 (an even 7) are Rolex and Piaget, probably Cartier too.
Movado and Corum are about a 6.99999.
Then there''s everything else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2007 11:22:18 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I think the top 3 (rating 7++) are Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet.
The next 2 (an even 7) are Rolex and Piaget, probably Cartier too.
Movado and Corum are about a 6.99999.
Then there''s everything else.
That''s interesting that you''d rate Movado that high. I would have rated it below Ebel, Concord, Omega, etc., but that was mainly based on the pricing, I guess.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Diamondseeker2006! I rated Movado highly because I bought one from an estate collection in 1991 (I think it was made in the late 1950''s or early 1960''s) and it''s still going strong. It keeps good time and I''ve never had any trouble with it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2007 10:14:25 AM
Hi, Diamondseeker2006! I rated Movado highly because I bought one from an estate collection in 1991 (I think it was made in the late 1950''s or early 1960''s) and it''s still going strong. It keeps good time and I''ve never had any trouble with it.
Hi! I think that is a great recommendation and very good to know! Thanks!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 2:01:37 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Most of the time the online vendors are not authorized dealers. If they were authorized, they wouldn''t be free to discount to the degree they do. Some do have their own warranties, though. I just don''t think that there is a lot that can go wrong with a quartz watch. My understanding is that there is little difference in quality of the workings of a quartz watch from the high end to low end brands. I once read that a couple of companies make the majority of insides for quartz watches. I seem to recall that Swatch was one of them. So the quality of the case, bracelet, and name brand are mainly what you are paying for.
This is true w/ many watches- I know that swatch does the watches for Calvin Klein and I believe that the movements in Coach watches are made by Movado.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Show us your new watch!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet- you are too much-

here is my recent impulse buy- it's not too fancy and it wasn't crazy $$$- but I really like it- I love the mother of pearl face and the little diamond accents- I don't have a wrist shot yet though...
ETA: I was happy to see that Raymond Weil, basic a brand that it is wasn't totally dissed here on PS!

my new watch.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that look. There was a similar one I considered. Did you see it on my thread?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that a lot, too! Did you buy online?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet-
I did see that one you posted (towards the end right?) that was similar- I think that this might be a little larger than what you wanted- it''s not huge, but it''s not delicate- it''s definitely a medium-sized watch.
diamondseeker-
I didn''t buy it online, it was an impulse purchase at Fortunoff''s here in NYC. I got 20% off their price, which is supposedly below suggested retail already.
I didn''t want to look too hard online and find out I paid too much- but based on initial searching I did well w/ my purchase, and Fortunoff''s throws in an extra year of warranty, which is nice I guess.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t torture yourself by looking anymore.
2.gif

The FM is slightly larger than what I wanted, but that''s the smallest size in stainless steel and it''s such a gorgeous watch.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 10:14:25 AM

Funny, I know less than nothing about watches, but I would have assumed Movado was quite low as well, until I saw one at Skinner a while ago, selling above a TCo and Patek..?! There are some older and more impressive pieces, and I believe Movado has likely pulled a Tiffany and reached to the mass market at the expense of it''s luxury brand name past...? here''s their website where they describe history...

http://www.movado.com/AboutMovado.aspx

I also have a Movado, in 18K. I almost never wear it (but it''s pretty...). The first one I lost, because I took it off, left it on my desk, went out for a meeting and it was gone. My own stupidity for not locking my office door...(used to work in an area with lots of movement and delivery people) I have had the replacement one for years now and it has never been a problem, still looks amazing, etc. I also have a Rolex ladies Datejust President, though I REALLY never wear that one. Too heavy I suppose and a bit too flashy for my taste.

Also in hiding is a simple (but badly in need of repair old Cartier Tank (Basculante I think). It is actually a men''s watch (my ex''s who gave up on it) and I don''t think it''s old, but it was purchased at an estate sale and needs lots of TLC which olny Cartier can do, and he was too lazy, so he bequeathed it to me, and I have been too lazy... That''s my one issue with Cartier. Cost of repair and exclusivity of where to get it fixed. My jeweler can not touch it, even the change the straps...
15.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez - you may want to call the Cartier repair center for N. Am. They are in Dallas Fort Worth Airport Area. They will deal (at least they did) w/ consumers directly.

I broke my crystal on my Cartier watch which then allowed moisture in the face. I took it to a couple of authorized Cartier dealers who gave me ridiculous quotes. I finally contacted the Cartier repair center in DFW airport area. Not only was the cost of new crystal, cleaning, new crock band, and all around service 1/2 the cost, they did me a great favor. A mailing place mailed two items - my watch to Cartier & a clients bracelet. The mail center mixed them up and my watch went to my client & the bracelet to Cartier. Cartier called me as soon as they received the wrong package (even prior to my client receiving my watch). They sent the bracelet directly to my client & visa versa! Might be worth a try to request a quote!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks F&I! I went to Cartier in Paris at the time, because I had it with me back then, but what a quote! I remember not being happy. Then we brought it to the Cartier in NY but again the quote was a lot, and in the end, he didn''t want that one unless they could do all the repairs within the month, because they told him it would be a long time...something about their shipping it to a swiss center...? No clue, I wasn''t there for that one.

so for years this little guy has been sitting in a safe. Languishing, and honestly, I am not too crazy about it. I never wore it, but it would help to fix it and maybe gift it or trade it in for my "wish" watch...the diamond studded Tonneau...

Thanks, I will look into it, when I get the motivation, horrible but true, I am the worst sort of repair person. When I have a heel that needs replacement, I buy new shoes... a jacket that needs mending...new jacket.

I''m horrible, but when I find a seamstress, repair person, cobbler, MAN will they make money off of ME!
23.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Also, it is my understanding that the stores - even the flagship ones like NYC are little profit centers for repair work as well. I think they do low level stuff like batteries and watch bands - but send it on to DFW w/ a markup. DFW was the actual repair center. They don''t mark up their services. I think Rolex, USA is the same way -at least back a few years.

But, if your not motivated - your not - but like you said, it could be a potential trade or sale item. The secondary market is still fairly strong for Cartier - especially men''s. I just picked up the phone and they gave me some quotes. At the time, it seemed like a small knit group there.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I never thought of what i could get for it. I just assumed I would eventually fix it. Not in a rush. It's actually with my mother, because she swore she had more free time and would do it herself for me...it's sitting in her safe, and you can imagine where I get it from!

That's what I figured th stores did, but I had no idea about the DFW place...Oooh. Even worth walking it in? I will be there in a few days... how far off is it? Any more info? Maybe if I make time, the motivation will follow...?
7.gif

after repairs, any idea what it could fetch? I can't imagine it is more than 5-8 years old..?

THANKS F&I!!!!
36.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Oh my - I am a pack rat. I was in the process of reorganizing receipts, etc. - it''s TAX time! I found the receipt! I needed to as I wanted to put it with all my other "appraisal/info" stuff

O.K. - time frames get smaller and smaller as you age. I thought this was a few years back - well that depends on a few years! It''s from 2000!

Anyway - here''s the address and phone # - as I said they were so nice. I know quite a bit can change in all those years - but here goes

Cartier International Service
1225 Royal Lane
DFW Airport, Texas 75261
(972) 574 2161

I got a quote from a local authorized dealer (no home stores in my area). They wanted close to $500.00. The watch had stopped & they may have been covering their butts. Cartier charged me $159.500 (includes shipping). The routine maintenance got the watch going once again & the crystal replacement was only $35.00.

Anyway - it''s may be worth a shot. I went into a local place to get my battery replaced - killed time looking at new Cartier watches. Mine increased in price 3x - granted it''s been 17 years - but one would figure you could recover the original cost?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Regarding Movado - their Museum watch is held in very good regard. The 1947 design by Nathan Horwitt was recognized by MOMA and selected for it''s permanent collection. I believe it may have been the first watch design selected for their collection.

I''ve got the simple women''s version in in black w/ silver dot & hands w/ black calfskin. Other then my jeweled Dietishiem - it''s can be quite dressy. And, it keeps great time. I wouldn''t recommend it for every day though.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU!!

Date: 3/22/2007 3:57:16 PM
Author: fire&ice
Oh my - I am a pack rat. I was in the process of reorganizing receipts, etc. - it''s TAX time! I found the receipt! I needed to as I wanted to put it with all my other ''appraisal/info'' stuff

O.K. - time frames get smaller and smaller as you age. I thought this was a few years back - well that depends on a few years! It''s from 2000!

Anyway - here''s the address and phone # - as I said they were so nice. I know quite a bit can change in all those years - but here goes

Cartier International Service
1225 Royal Lane
DFW Airport, Texas 75261
(972) 574 2161

I got a quote from a local authorized dealer (no home stores in my area). They wanted close to $500.00. The watch had stopped & they may have been covering their butts. Cartier charged me $159.500 (includes shipping). The routine maintenance got the watch going once again & the crystal replacement was only $35.00.

Anyway - it''s may be worth a shot. I went into a local place to get my battery replaced - killed time looking at new Cartier watches. Mine increased in price 3x - granted it''s been 17 years - but one would figure you could recover the original cost?

Do they only fix watches or other Cartier jewlery? I wonder...I will call them to see if they are still around and can do private work I guess. I assumed only Cartier retail could send it over there, but if they fix for individuals as well who am i to complain?!
31.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
re: Cartier doing work for individuals. I thought they did. Obviously, I am not affliated with Cartier. I do own my own business - jewelry in a round about way - but I don''t recall if they asked for a business card and tax number.

Let me know what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results