shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch rating scale (attn: Diamondfan, Widget, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since watches have been a hot topic as Harriet searched for a watch, it made me think that it might be helpful if women''s watch brands could be rated on a scale from 1-7, with 1 being cheap no-name brands, maybe 2 for Timex, maybe 4 (average) for Seiko, on up to maybe 6-7? for Rolex and 7 for Patek Phillipe.

Would some of you watch experts fill in the 5, 6, 7 range with the above average to the most elite brands? Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebel, Maurice Lacroix, Breitling, Tag, the list goes on. Upper end Bedat, Cartier, Rolex, Chanel, Patek Phillipe, Chopard, etc.... I''m sure I am missing a ton. Diamondfan will not doubt add plenty to the list. Happy hunting!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS have you checked out www.timezone.com? It is sort of the pricescope for watches and they have forums for each of the major brands. They had a nice looking Cartier woman''s tank watch for sale on Signed Pieces, but it looks like it is gone now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, do NOT let me get on another forum!
9.gif
Thanks for the reference, though, Sundial!

Lisa, can you separate those brands out and rate them as 5, 6 or 7 (the top)? I am presonally not looking for a 7 watch as I don''t want to put that much money in one! But I''d like a 5 or a 6 anyway. (And this is not a pressing need. I just get interested in the topic again since Harriet was looking!)

I just thought newcomers might find it helpful to understand which brands were considered higher quality.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 8:32:33 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh gosh, do NOT let me get on another forum!
9.gif
Thanks for the reference, though, Sundial!

Lisa, can you separate those brands out and rate them as 5, 6 or 7 (the top)? I am presonally not looking for a 7 watch as I don't want to put that much money in one! But I'd like a 5 or a 6 anyway. (And this is not a pressing need. I just get interested in the topic again since Harriet was looking!)

I just thought newcomers might find it helpful to understand which brands were considered higher quality.
Oh crap, I flunked the assignment. I'll let diamondfan rank them as she knows way more about them than I do. I just was writing from my own personal experience. I listed mostly what I own. There are some I listed that I don't own but have heard great things about.. But am not a watch techie by any stretch....
34.gif
I'll learn along with you!!!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it''s always fun to learn something new around here! Hopefully DF will see this since she probably can easily rank them!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is really tough for me to say since I am not an expert on the movements etc, but know what I like. I would consider Ebel, Tag, Charriol and Concord in the midrange, Swiss Army in the lower but higher than Seiko, and I think there are so many in the high end range, certainly Rolex, Muller, Cartier, Chopard, Patek, Breitling, Hublot, Jaegger Le Coultre (spelling) are all high end, but some are maybe known more as fashion watches than watches a serious watch person or collector might want.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I, too, am not an expert on movements--but suffice it to say that some of the aforementioned brands make very complicated time pieces; that can cost up to $1.5 million dollars.

e.g Vacheron Constantin Tour De L'ile: $1.5m; with 843 parts; and if memory serves, Jaeger-LeCoultre has a model that is competition in being an equally complicated time piece.

There are a couple of dozen other's worth mentioning--had time permitted.

I guess it begs the question: what are the most important features for you, in a watch? Aesthetics, reliability, uniqueness, prestige, durability, performance/precision, cost, availibility, resaleability/collectability, brand/pedigree, and warrenty--and in what combo. For some, complicated watches hold the same mystique as owning a rare ruby or sizeable D Flawless/IF Super Ideal cut diamond.

Altho I acknowledge that many of the high end mechanical watches are engineering marvels, I, personally don't require the most complicated watch in the world--just a few sturdy & purdy ones: like my Ebel, maybe a Cartier Roadster, and if dreams come true, an A. Lange & Sohne Soiree, with MOP face and diamond bezel.

What do (you) folks "look for" when purchasing a watch?

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:13:51 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I, too, am not an expert on movements--but suffice it to say that some of the aforementioned brands make very complicated time pieces; that can cost up to $1.5 million dollars.

e.g Vacheron Constantin Tour De L''ile: $1.5m; with 843 parts; and if memory serves, Jaeger-LeCoultre has a model that is competition in being an equally complicated time piece.

There are a couple of dozen other''s worth mentioning--had time permitted.

I guess it begs the question: what are the most important features for you, in a watch? Aesthetics, reliability, uniqueness, prestige, durability, performance/precision, cost, availibility, resaleability/collectability, and warrenty--and in what combo. For some, complicated watches hold the same mystique as owning a rare ruby or sizeable D Flawless/IF Super Ideal cut diamond.

Altho I acknowledge that many of the high end mechanical watches are engineering marvels, I, personally don''t require the most complicated watch in the world--just a few sturdy & purdy ones: like my Ebel, maybe a Cartier Roadster, and if dreams come true, an A. Lange & Sohne Soiree, with MOP face and diamond bezel.

What do (you) folks ''look for'' when purchasing a watch?

cheers--Sharon
I look for what is pretty on me, keeps great time and something I can afford. Ebel is a fave for sure!! Baume and Mercier hasn''t been mentioned yet, that''s a nice watch as well. I sold a lot of watches when I worked at a fine jewelry store, so have seen many great watches in my time. Raymond Weil is also a nice watch, not expensive but has a nice look. I''m sure I''ll keep adding more as I think of them DS!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot the V.C.'S...

I agree, some of those prices are nuts, but true collectors do not mind paying I guess.

I look for overall quality, which includes reliability.

I love style but not ultra trendy, I like my sport watches to be more substantial and my dress watches more refined. I like diamonds on anything! I like lighter faces and darker faces do not usually appeal to me. I also like things that are not ultra common, though I do buy things that are popular if I like them...

ETA: I also thing Baume and Mercier and Weil are nice, and Maurice LaCroix...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my case, I really don't care about having a fine mechanical watch...quartz is fine. So overall aesthetics, classic style, high quality materials, reliability, and durability would be my top requirements. I want it to be functional, as in keeping time accurately as well as being an attractive piece of jewelry. I'll probably go with stainless, but I'd really love to have white gold. I'd like to have one with diamonds that is a little more dressy, and a more simple one for everyday. Cartier appeals to me a lot and I really like the appearance of the Ebel watches. Of course, I'd still love to have a Rolex if I could expand the collection! But I need to go somewhere to try on some of these watches. I like smaller watches and it is very hard to tell about size when looking online.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think trying on is so important! I have a really lovely 18 karat white gold Concord, round dial, it has diamonds all around the bezel and a mother of pearl face, and I spent 5000.00 on it a few years ago, and it is just too small on me wrist for my taste. I think I wore it once, it is in brand new condition. I am trying to sell it currently, because it just sits in my jewelry box and it is making me nuts to see it there. Some people like smaller or need it because they have small wrists, but it looks tiny on me.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I own and wear/worn
Cartier
Rolex
Timex
Swatch Watch
Movado
Paul Dietishiem
Seiko

Hubby owns
Rolex
Hamilton
Phil. Pat - vintage

By far the best time keeper is my Cartier. I''ve had it for over 17 years & it has not missed a beat. I''d still be wearing my Cartier if it wasn''t sensitive to water. For Hubby - it''s his hamilton.

Worse time keeper for sure (including my vintage Dietishiem wind up) is the Rolex''s. In theory the mechanical workings are cool - but just extremely tempermental. On a regular basis, it''s the Rolex that I wear. I like the feel on my wrist and it''s bullet proof as far as working (cooking, gardening, etc.) with it on.

Other than how a watch feels on your wrist - another thing to consider is size of dial as you age. I''ve had my Seiko since 1981. It''s still running strong; but, I can''t see the dial w/ my contacts in.
2.gif
Another reason for the Cartier is that their dials tend to be larger.

Watches are extremely personal. When searching for a watch I could wear all the time, it came down to the swiss army & my Rolex.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own an Omega Constellation and it is a superb watch, Omega make very reliable watches which are known for longevity, accuracy, and reliability, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
I love the look of Omega watches. Sadly I don't have one.

What I do have is a 14k Waltham from the 50s. Keeps perfect time, but I needed to have a bit of work done on it two years ago. I was able to afford it b/c the person I bought it from had the face refinished so I argued it wasn't a collector piece.

I also have a small wrist, so the big watches are too big for me, anything over 39mm gets overpowering. Which is part of the reason why I like the waltham b/c it is about 30mm.

It really is a shame how Waltham sold out and started making crappy watches. they used have a better product.

I like thinner watches, so like the new Rolex (Master II I think its called) that is coming out is too thick. I like that they put the diver crown on it though.

What I want in a watch is flexibilty and durability. I want to be able to wear it with whatever, and I want to not have to worry about it getting wet. I want to be able to wear it biking. It doesn't need crazy functions like measuring distance for lightening, or a tv screen, or be able to measure 1/1000 of a second. If I needed to time something that accurately I would need an Infrared trigger. Accuracy within a couple minutes a month would be acceptable, but like I said my Waltham is dead on. Though, I don't want to be down on watches that are accurate for the fractions of fractions of seconds because they are mechanical feats to be admired (I also liked the look of BRM's BRT-1, but I have a thing for rectangles).

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
DS, if you like smaller watches, a Rolex might not be for you. I have a ladies'' Rolex, and I have a fairly small wrist. It is definitely a substantial watch even in the ladies'' version. I wanted a Rolex, so I tolerate it, but if I wanted a small watch, I wouldn''t have picked this one out.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wore Seiko watches for decades--practical for work--and they just wouldn''t die! I still have one in my jewellery box that is fashionable today. When I worked at Peoples (Zales) in high school (they carried Rolex then) I sold a ton of Seiko and became the store "expert".

My first "expensive" watch was an 18K w/g Omega, that I bought second hand when I was 18. My Dad was a jeweller, and on occasion he took items in on trade or for cash outright, and this watch was one of those items. It was over an ounce of w/g and it ran and ran and ran......... folks often mistook it for ss, as w/g was not "in" style for watches . I eventually traded it in against some custom work I had done--I wore it for 15 years!!!

The year I got married, my Dad had another watch he offered me--a y/g Ladies Rolex President--and it was well priced, but I never really warmed to this style of Rolex and declined. No regrets.

In the early 90''s I bought my first Concord--a Saratoga--and wore that for a decade. I had the clasp replaced once or twice, but mechanically it was very sound. I passed it on to my youngest sister and she wears it still. She is looking for another watch at present.

Around the time I got my Ebel for my grad present (Master''s degree) I also bought a large y/g tank--a mens Concord--but was mistaken in the amount I thought I would wear it. I liked the style, but just always seemed to have my Ebel on.

I recently tried on the ladies Cartier Roadster and liked it very much. I also tried on a Rolex Yachtmaster, but found it bulky. They had a sweet Baume and Mercier--chocolate face and diamond dial--that was a popular seller, but I found I had trouble seeing the dark face. Now that I am of the age I need "readers", I require a watch whose face I can read. And a date is a must for me too.

My DH has two Omegas but is looking at the Roadster. He also liked a few in the Rolex Cellini Collection, and a few of the IWC models. He is not a big fan of the sports model Rolexes, altho my BIL''s each have one and love them. MY DH is an enigineer and is fasinated by the mechanices of some of the costly repeaters, but would never, ever pay the big bucks for them. He does not see the value in that.

Watches are cool--they have the beneift of being practical and potentially a beautiful piece of jewellery. Honestly, if money were no object, I would own one of those Van Cleef and Arpel beauties.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the good input, ladies! I think there is a lot to learn about watches. I really see why some of you have several since they come in so many different styles! When I say small, I don''t mean tiny, but the small Rolex would be the largest I''d consider. A sporty watch can be a little larger than a dress watch, I think.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
I''ve worn my Weil almost everyday for the last 11 years and I still love it. I have had it cleaned 1 time, but other than that no problems. I got it when I was 24, which was a big purchase for me at that time, and i have to say it is one of my favorite purchases of all time. I had a twinge of watch envy reading Harrit''s thread, but I must confess I won''t buy a new watch until the Weil is kaput.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve worn Longines, Tag, Concord and now this Ebel. I have very small wrists
and can''t wear all the larger watches, though I do love ''em.

watch07.GIF

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluehue, it''s nice to hear your watch has been so reliable!

Ann, I also have liked the Ebel Beluga watches. I have considered getting one of the round ones.

ebelbeluga1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that picture was a lot bigger than Ann''s!!!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a bigger watch! tee hee (sorry, couldn''t resist)

That is the watch I went in to look at in the first place,
but I saw this one and it looked better on my tiny wrist.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be looking at the mini even in the round as it is still about 24.5mm. I am really liking the new Brasilia, too. It is a problem to like so many things!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 10:51:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
In my case, I really don''t care about having a fine mechanical watch...quartz is fine.
Me, too DS.

I think that lots of quartz watches, even quite modestly priced ones, are just fine and keep excellent time.

It''s the fine movements that turn on many true watch aficionados...many of them turn up their noses at "high-end" quartz watches (like mine)...saying we''re spending $$$$$ for batteries!

May be true, but what can I say? I love my watches, and their labels!
1.gif

widget

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
While we're at it, has anyone bought from an online retailer? If so, please list the ones you'd recommend, and the ones you'll never deal with again.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know about Michele (sp) watches?

I''ve looked at them in Neimans and Nordstroms
They look like so much fun, with the ability to change straps

I wonder if they are worth the $$

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad I just found this thread! I have the exact same question that Harriet has regarding reliable on-line vendors. I''m hoping to buy a new watch this summer, and I''m leaning heavily towards one of the Omega Constellation Mini''s that I''ve had my eye on for about a year now. I tried a few on today and really like the way the mini size fit on my wrist--the dimensions of the face and width of the band were perfect. Lorelei, I''m glad you have had a good experience with your Omega! I also tried on a couple Raymond Weil''s. I liked the styles, but they were slightly larger in face and band than the Omega''s. Only 3 stores in my area carry the Omega brand, 2 higher end, small chain stores, and Jareds. So I wanted to check out on-line options, but I didn''t know which vendors are reputable. Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t bought online, but one site that was mentioned in Harriet''s other thread is www.JOMASHOP.com They carry a wide variety of name brands. And looks like you can save a bundle. But I always choose to buy from an authorized dealer. Guess I''m chicken that way, but definitely worth a look....
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 7:03:25 PM
Author: Ann
Does anyone know about Michele (sp) watches?

I''ve looked at them in Neimans and Nordstroms
They look like so much fun, with the ability to change straps

I wonder if they are worth the $$
My daughter has one, and it keeps great time. She loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results