shape
carat
color
clarity

watch questions

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if antique watches fit in this forum but I have two questions about a watch I found. 1) what is the purpose of the wire on the bottom of the watch? When I look up similar Spaulding watches I don't see that. and 2) Did women wear pocket watches? This watch has my great-aunts initials on the back. Thanks to anyone who knows the answers! IMG_1763.HEIC.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it so you can can hang it upside-down on your clothes and flip it up to read right-side-up?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, ladies wore watches.
Your ladies' pocket watch would have had a dangle attached to the bottom. They were worn on a long chain.
pml0804d_249x500.jpg 3b65bc7d1e758d7b9956de781780af16.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it so you can can hang it upside-down on your clothes and flip it up to read right-side-up?

Some watches were designed that way, like pendant watches that were popular in the 1920s

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, pocket watches were originally only worn by men but as time (ha ha) passed, women started wearing them but they were worn as pendants and sometimes as a wrist watch, depending on the watch size. Later the watches were made smaller and more feminine. Nurses were amongst the first to wear watches as on their uniforms for taking a patients pulse , with a second hand, and they were worn upside down. One of the most desirable and value Rolex watches, called “The Prince”, was popular with doctors because of the accuracy and the separate dial for the seconds. Absolutely beautiful as well.

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for explaining. I found this fun nytimes article that made me think maybe I'll keep it and wear it....I only have to decide right side up with a dangle, or upside down :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for explaining. I found this fun nytimes article that made me think maybe I'll keep it and wear it....I only have to decide right side up with a dangle, or upside down :)

I have a collection of antique ladies pocket watches. I wear them on long chains like the girl in the photo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results