Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch out for "price per carat"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noah

Rough_Rock
Like any good husband to be I have been researching the field of diamonds for many months now in anticipation of a purchase and did just buy one from ROMM & Co (boston) who got it from Lazar Kaplan.

I bought the following diamond only to find out the next day they misquoted be about $2,000 in my favor.

shape: princess
carat: 1.465
clarity: Vs1
color: G
cut (below)
table: 65.7%
overall depth: 66%
length to width ratio: 1.01
flour: none
culet: none
girdle: med to stk
crown height: about 11%
pol + sym: very good
no fills, drills
manu: lazar kaplan

cost: $10,375

I ended up buying this on its beauty aspect and because the length width, sym, clarity, color and overall appearance is breathtaking. It is a shining star amongst the hundreds of diamonds ive seen.

The reason it was $10K was because lazar kaplan quoted the jewelers at a price per carat of 1.50 - 1.59.

My price per carat was actually in the 1.40 - 1.49 range and suddenly the same diamond cost me $8,500

So suddenly I have a $2,000 credit and they said that a misquote hasnt ever happened. They''ve been around for 100 years. Anyway I appreciate the saleswoman for calling me back it shows real integrity.

Can you believe the cost difference? Lesson learned > stick in the "odd" carat sizes

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DOH! I bet 2k in your favor made that even sweeter.

Thing is, diamonds, and I mean the real sweeties, in the 1.30-1.49ct zone can sometimes be like pulling teeth to try and find, ESPECIALLY in princess cuts. They are not in abundance and when available usually sell like lightening. I just purchased a 1.40ct E VS1 myself so I share in your exhilarition.

Just curious, what pavilion depth is coupled with that 11% crown?

Rhino

Noah

Rough_Rock
I don't know... but i have an appointment with the appraiser tonight (shreve, crump & low) and based on that appraisal I will determine if I will put the 30 day return policy to use on the diamond. I am sure he will give me the more accurate stats, especially where GIA falls short (ie pavillion depth, et al)

Too bad we just got hit with such a big snowstorm I doubt hes coming into the store to appraise diamonds. Oh well, whats another week

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.