shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch out for "price per carat"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noah

Rough_Rock
Like any good husband to be I have been researching the field of diamonds for many months now in anticipation of a purchase and did just buy one from ROMM & Co (boston) who got it from Lazar Kaplan.

I bought the following diamond only to find out the next day they misquoted be about $2,000 in my favor.

shape: princess
carat: 1.465
clarity: Vs1
color: G
cut (below)
table: 65.7%
overall depth: 66%
length to width ratio: 1.01
flour: none
culet: none
girdle: med to stk
crown height: about 11%
pol + sym: very good
no fills, drills
manu: lazar kaplan

cost: $10,375

I ended up buying this on its beauty aspect and because the length width, sym, clarity, color and overall appearance is breathtaking. It is a shining star amongst the hundreds of diamonds ive seen.

appl.gif

The reason it was $10K was because lazar kaplan quoted the jewelers at a price per carat of 1.50 - 1.59.

My price per carat was actually in the 1.40 - 1.49 range and suddenly the same diamond cost me $8,500

So suddenly I have a $2,000 credit and they said that a misquote hasnt ever happened. They''ve been around for 100 years. Anyway I appreciate the saleswoman for calling me back it shows real integrity.

Can you believe the cost difference? Lesson learned > stick in the "odd" carat sizes

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DOH! I bet 2k in your favor made that even sweeter.

Thing is, diamonds, and I mean the real sweeties, in the 1.30-1.49ct zone can sometimes be like pulling teeth to try and find, ESPECIALLY in princess cuts. They are not in abundance and when available usually sell like lightening. I just purchased a 1.40ct E VS1 myself so I share in your exhilarition.
1.gif

Just curious, what pavilion depth is coupled with that 11% crown?

Rhino

Noah

Rough_Rock
I don't know... but i have an appointment with the appraiser tonight (shreve, crump & low) and based on that appraisal I will determine if I will put the 30 day return policy to use on the diamond. I am sure he will give me the more accurate stats, especially where GIA falls short (ie pavillion depth, et al)

Too bad we just got hit with such a big snowstorm I doubt hes coming into the store to appraise diamonds. Oh well, whats another week
wink2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results