shape
carat
color
clarity

Washing machine question

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice from you regarding a washing machine problem FI and I have been having. We moved into our place in September, and since the previous people had left their washing machine behind we've basically been using it. It looks fairly new and of good quality.

However, there was no manual left behind so I've basically been using it on the basis of what I know about washing machines, clothes, and the little bits of instructions usually given on washing machines (you know, where you can see the individual program settings and a few words about each one). Anyway, lately we've noticed a moldy smell on our clothes, and the same kind of smell seems to exist in the machine's drum. I don't know how to get rid of it!

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to rid a machine of its smell? Should I have been using some kind of machine salt? Help! :errrr:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
that's a common problem in front load washer's. Lots of places sell cleaning solution. Just run a wash with it and it should clear up the smell.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the machine is a fairly recent model you might be able to find a manual on-line, or ask the company to send you one.

davi is right about this being a fairly common problem with front-loaders. It's because water gets trapped in the baffles that prevent the door from leaking. When I unload my machine I use a hand towel to sop up that extra water (it's a towel set aside for this purpose) and leave the door open for awhile to allow the remaining water to evaporate. Unless the problem is really bad, you should be able to get rid of it with just one load that uses bleach.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Great! Thanks for the advice!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Every once in while you should use a washing machine cleaner that you can buy at the grocery store. You put the powder in the soap section and the wash setting on hot. I use the one called "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner." It should get rid of that mildewy smell. Some people make their own using vinegar or something but I love the smell of the Tide stuff.

Also, follow the VRBeauty's suggestion to use a towel to wipe out the baffles after every wash and keep the door open.

Disclaimer: I do not work or have any affiliation to Tide.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
My front-loader gets a little funky sometimes, too. You can get a washer cleaner for just a few bucks at walmart, or any store like that. It also works well in the dishwasher, when the dishes start to come out a little icky. I've also read that you can use lemon (or is it lemonade? I can't remember for sure) Kool Aid, which supposedly works just as well. I haven't tried that myself though.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm all out, it's on my grocery list now :)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH always finds owner's manuals online.

We recently switched from a front loader to a top loader. The manual suggested using a cleaner once a month to prevent or treat odors We use cleaner tablets called "affresh" as necessary. Between washes, we try to remember to leave the washing machine door open to let it dry. On the few occasions that DH or I have accidentally left clothes in the machine for too long (overnight or days) or left the door closed after washing and the machine got smelly, the affresh product has fixed the problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results