shape
carat
color
clarity

was the cutter drunk? Diamond color P vs. Fancy Yellow...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Hey all. I have a diamond which isn''t certified (I''m planning on visiting Dave Atlas sometime soon to have him look at it and three other stones...what a nice guy!) but I''m wondering about the color, and if it was incorrectly classed.

How likely is it that the initial color grade by the cutter could be way off? My diamond in question was marked as having a P color, but upon arrival, I swear it''s a natural fancy yellow. No brown or off color hues at all, definately a clear yellow. I purchased it at Tradeshop for about $400 with the following info: .67 ct., VS2, pear shaped, 7x5 mm.

When I ordered it (thinking I''d get a "cape" diamond for that price, which for me are nice, too...you know, champagne on a beer budget type of diamonds) and it came in, I thought that the person who assigned a P color must have been in his cups!

There''s an eBay auction right now that has a pic of a GIA certified diamond that''s about the same hue & intensity, for anyone who''d like a sample color:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2630738128&category=15177

Thoughts?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You could be right, but considering that a "fancy yellow" can go for quite a bit more than a P color, especially nowadays when fancy yellows seem to be in vogue, I'd think if there were any misgrading involved it would be calling a P a fancy and not the other way around.

Still, Dave should be able to tell and if you're right you've got a nice surprise there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results