shape
carat
color
clarity

Was I rude about my friend's e-ring?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1343528211|3242296 said:
No you were not rude in any way. But saying the ering is peaceful is not the response we hear .... So I imagine she was taken a back by it, meaning peaceful?? When you could have said how pretty, stunning or gorgeous...

I think she is wondering what you meant by saying peaceful. Look, there is a saying my Nanny always used. Leave it lay where Jesus flung it.

Sooo funny! Love it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL's ring is a lovely oval-cut diamond in a simple, lightly brushed tension setting. "Serene" would be a good description. "Sleek" and "stunning" would be better. :wink2:

Next time you see her, just tell say something like "BTW, I want you to know that I Love your ring - I was just expecting something blingier since that seems to be all the rage these days."

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1343587071|3242551 said:
My SIL's ring is a lovely oval-cut diamond in a simple, lightly brushed tension setting. "Serene" would be a good description. "Sleek" and "stunning" would be better. :wink2:

Next time you see her, just tell say something like "BTW, I want you to know that I Love your ring - I was just expecting something blingier since that seems to be all the rage these days."

Uh oh, I'm not sure I would say that either. That could potentially come across wrong too, because "blingier" implies that hers is not blingy, or plain. Sleek and stunning are good!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
How often will you run into this friend, Tabbycat? Is it frequently enough that you'll feel weird with this comment hanging over your head, or not so often that you can pretend to just brush it off an never mention it again?

I think that's the kind of deal breaker I'd factor in, as to whether to say anything or not. I know I'll get rambling on and then stupid stuff just suddenly 'appears out of no where' from my mouth! I can usually just laugh it off there and then (as do my friends who just think I'm nuts anyway! :loopy: ) but if its someone that means a lot to me, I usually churn uncomfortably until I've corrected my faux pas.

I'd agree with complimenting her in a flowery gushy way next time, but only when it can come up in a natural and conversational manner. Don't actively seek out something to purposefully talk about her ring - that will just be digging you in even deeper and you'll feel even more uncomfortable then. (You know - "2 strikes and your out!" kind of thing ;)) )

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1343598120|3242628 said:

Uh oh, I'm not sure I would say that either. That could potentially come across wrong too, because "blingier" implies that hers is not blingy, or plain. Sleek and stunning are good!
I agree with Laila. I think there are a few situations in life where the only safe and acceptable response to something is "It is just beautiful!" and women proudly showing their new engagement rings is one of them. (Same goes for people proudly showing off their babies. Even though we all know most newborns look like wrinkled grandpas, you just have to say they're beautiful.) Telling her you expected something else could backfire in so many ways, I would just not go there.

Unless your friend brings it up again herself and asks what you meant by your response, I would let this one rest. I had the same response to your original post as Deco, you two sounded like frenemies more than friends to me, but you've since updated and said that you are actually close friends. If you're close, she'll either know you enough to "get" what you meant and she won't say another word about it, or she'll be comfortable enough to ask you for clarification next time you see her if it's really bothering her.

But until then, if she shows it off in front of you again and there's a group of others oohing and aahing, I'd just smile and ooh and aah myself.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:

agreed. I'd just grab her hand next time you are together and gush about how beautiful her ring is...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results