shape
carat
color
clarity

Was I just being a "karen"?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Guys is it too late to pick the leaves now? Also anyone care to share a vegetarian recipe? Although I think I can just go ahead and make them. I love these!!!

BTW, it is totally ok to ask! Why not? I would.

Ok I think one recipe above is no meat, I shall try.

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves but in general I usually just substitute various types of beans for meat in recipes, if that helps.

Q

Queenie60

Guys is it too late to pick the leaves now? Also anyone care to share a vegetarian recipe? Although I think I can just go ahead and make them. I love these!!!

We go to the grape ranch in the Fresno area and pick them during the Memorial Day Weekend. This is when they are at their best. However, you can find them in jars in the Middle Eastern markets. My recipe is a rice with spices recipe. It's easy, I think the most tricky part is getting the wrap nice and secure so that they do not fall apart during the cooking process. Good luck, I hope you enjoy them.

Q

Queenie60

Thank you! I will try this! I have all the ingredients.
I will cut this recipe down though cause there's only two of us.
I used to live across the street from an Armenian lady who used to send these same rice filled grape leaves over to me. We used to compare recipes!

If you make the whole recipe, you can freeze them prior to cooking. They are wonderful to have in the freezer during the Holiday or if you have a guest and are serving Armenian food. I take the package of frozen out, let thaw and then cook, in a smaller pan. Good luck, let me know how you like these. This recipe is from my husbands Grandmother who would be 115 years old had she still been living. She passed at age 91.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think you were being a Karen but I know if someone has been demanding of me lately (DH...I'm looking at you), I could see me
letting out a sigh (probably undeserved).

Anyway, glad you ended up with your stuffed grape leaves! I hope no bodies were harmed in the process!:lol:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
We go to the grape ranch in the Fresno area and pick them during the Memorial Day Weekend. This is when they are at their best. However, you can find them in jars in the Middle Eastern markets. My recipe is a rice with spices recipe. It's easy, I think the most tricky part is getting the wrap nice and secure so that they do not fall apart during the cooking process. Good luck, I hope you enjoy them.

Are my leaves from the same ranch/farm? My daughter and I used to attend festivals at St. Andrew Armenian Church in Cupertino, CA. Great food, music, dances and vendors selling souvenirs, grapes, dried yellow plums, raisins...Such a great church and sweet people!:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: IMG_2372 (2).JPG IMG_2394 (2).JPG

Musia

Brilliant_Rock

Whole Foods sells them and you can buy on Amazon.

Q

Queenie60

Are my leaves from the same ranch/farm? My daughter and I used to attend festivals at St. Andrew Armenian Church in Cupertino, CA. Great food, music, dances and vendors selling souvenirs, grapes, dried yellow plums, raisins...Such a great church and sweet people!:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: IMG_2372 (2).JPG IMG_2394 (2).JPG
AH - I have many friend who attend that church! I live about 15 minutes away.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you make the whole recipe, you can freeze them prior to cooking. They are wonderful to have in the freezer during the Holiday or if you have a guest and are serving Armenian food. I take the package of frozen out, let thaw and then cook, in a smaller pan. Good luck, let me know how you like these. This recipe is from my husbands Grandmother who would be 115 years old had she still been living. She passed at age 91.

I am doing it today!
I will let you know how they turn out!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
AH - I have many friend who attend that church! I live about 15 minutes away.

Me too:kiss2: Most likely 8-10 min. I don't have friends, but live close to this church.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course! Who can resist?
Funny thing about pine nuts....
My family always used them in cooking Mediterranean foods. We never bought them for snacking. They are just too expensive for that!
Then I moved out here to the Southwest US, where they are called piñon.
They are collected by local people from certain pine trees, roasted in the shell and eaten for a snack.
Yum
yum
yum
I need one of those trees pine trees
we used to sell little ones in the garden centre i worked in
it would be producing now
I would eat $20 worth just coming home from the supernarket if i could afford it

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. To freeze I lay them on a parchment covered cookie in a single layer. Once they’re frozen I put them in freezer bags. Usually 2 dozen packs

Looking good!
I also made some hummus to go with the grape leaves. They are cooked and now I am letting them rest. The one I tasted was great!
IMG_20200801_175515711.jpg IMG_20200801_180238760.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grape vine is just a bunch of sticks this time of year

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Looking good!
I also made some hummus to go with the grape leaves. They are cooked and now I am letting them rest. The one I tasted was great!
IMG_20200801_175515711.jpg IMG_20200801_180238760.jpg

That looks SOOO good @stracci2000! I've never used Za'atar on hummus, I usually use Sumac. What does that taste like?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks SOOO good @stracci2000! I've never used Za'atar on hummus, I usually use Sumac. What does that taste like?
It's just a sumac blend.

The ingredients are:
sumac, spices, sesame seed, salt.

I hope everyone is hungry for grape leaves and hummus today!
@kenny, look what you started!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
It's just a sumac blend.

The ingredients are:
sumac, spices, sesame seed, salt.

I hope everyone is hungry for grape leaves and hummus today!
@kenny, look what you started!

That sounds good! I haven't had grape leaves in a LONG while and I'm super tempted to make them! What do you think of these leaves? I don't think I'll be able to find them locally as the one good middle eastern market we had closed shop last year.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
But please good people
Tell me what is sumac ? and what is Za'atar ?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
They are officially delicious! DH and I loved them.
They'll be even better tomorrow! Thanks for a great meatless option.

I didn't want to change my plans for wat I was going to cook for dinner but tomorrow I will make a carnivore version with lots of onions, like a combination of both versions. Thank you for the inspiration!:lickout:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
$29 an ounce
They better be good !

No, it's for 2 lbs. I've never purchased grape leaves before and was hoping someone who knows better would chime in on whether or not those might be any good.

As far as I know, Sumac is a Turkish spice, although it originated in Iran, and used widely in the Middle East. It's got a savory lemony flavor with sort of fruity undertones, and looks like smoked parika. I've gotten some really nice flavorful Sumac from friends that brought it back from Lebanon, and I've bought some online that was very one-dimensional.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never purchased grape leaves before and was hoping someone who knows better would chime in on whether or not those might be any good.

I think these are way overpriced. Surely there is a specialty grocery store in your area that carries grape leaves in a jar. Even a large grocery store may have them. They should cost under $10.00

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

No, it's for 2 lbs. I've never purchased grape leaves before and was hoping someone who knows better would chime in on whether or not those might be any good.

As far as I know, Sumac is a Turkish spice, although it originated in Iran, and used widely in the Middle East. It's got a savory lemony flavor with sort of fruity undertones, and looks like smoked parika. I've gotten some really nice flavorful Sumac from friends that brought it back from Lebanon, and I've bought some online that was very one-dimensional.

If you can't find them, I'll mail some to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results