shape
carat
color
clarity

Was burgled (?) today. Need safe/ security camera & system recommendations.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
So we have a Nest but by the time I called 911 (got transferred 3x) and was able to speak to the dispatcher, the guy was gone.

We found some of our stuff on Offer Up but the police are saying we don’t have enough proof the items are ours.

Now I’m in the market for a safe/ security system. I imagine people with large jewelry collections have these things. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking about getting everything from Costco but their delivery is just so slow sometimes...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a professionally installed and monitored service from a local company.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to hear you were robbed

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a safe, I would find a company that specializes in safes, and go look at them in person. Get a large one that is too heavy to move easily AND bolt it to the floor.

Then for alarms... services like ADT etc are usual. I don’t know anyone who has actually had the police arrive fast enough to catch the guy. The main purpose of the alarm seems to be scaring them off faster, but any halfway decent thief will be out rapidly anyway.

If you got a decent enough face shot with the nest cam you could post it online to be identified and also send it to the police just in case.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have a professionally installed and monitored service from a local company.

I’m definitely going to look into that this weekend. My grandma is going to come live with us part time so we bought a bigger house that was closer to the city and I 100% cannot have this happen if she’s home. I’m all on edge about it now.

For a safe, I would find a company that specializes in safes, and go look at them in person. Get a large one that is too heavy to move easily AND bolt it to the floor.

Then for alarms... services like ADT etc are usual. I don’t know anyone who has actually had the police arrive fast enough to catch the guy. The main purpose of the alarm seems to be scaring them off faster, but any halfway decent thief will be out rapidly anyway.

If you got a decent enough face shot with the nest cam you could post it online to be identified and also send it to the police just in case.

We have a face shot and car shot (but no plates) that we showed the officers and the ad online with our stuff has the same looking car but the officers told me it’s circumstantial at this point.

I’m definitely doing a safe large enough so no one can steal. I’m thinking about putting it in a locking closet. I was thinking an executive vault. Not that I own that much of anything valuable but it seems best to have a safe too large to move.

I’m also contacting contractors to do a large fence around my property. It’s relatively large so we were putting it off due to the price, but other things can wait now... this is priority.

I can’t think of anything else... I’m all paranoid about it though. I’ve lived in worse areas and it has never been as sketchy as this.

Reactions: AV_

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry your home was burglarized. We have had ADT home security systems in both homes we owned and I feel that just having their sign outside has been deterrent in itself. Each time a door or window is opened, an electronic voices says: FRONT DOOR OPEN etc.

Our system has not been activated for a while now, but we keep the sign outside.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry this happened to you. I keep my valuables in a safe deposit box at the bank, but I’ve read that the best safes are ones that take 2-3 people just to move it, and have that bolted securely. The idea is to make it far more trouble than it’s worth for anyone to carry it off.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing new to add- just very sorry this happened to you :(sad

Q

Queenie60

I am sorry this happened to you - I have experienced this and it’s such a feeling of violation. I have ring cameras around my home and use a local alarm company. It is recommended to use a company that has a local call center. Being on the same time zone is and important factor. Also, I suggest you purchase a safe that a can be bolted into your foundation. Good luck to you.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry your home was burglarized. We have had ADT home security systems in both homes we owned and I feel that just having their sign outside has been deterrent in itself. Each time a door or window is opened, an electronic voices says: FRONT DOOR OPEN etc.

Our system has not been activated for a while now, but we keep the sign outside.

I won’t lie, ADT randomly came to our house saying they had promotions for new home owners only a couple months ago but I turned them away because I was so off put by someone just showing up at my house. I wish we went with them.

I’ve got research all these companies now. I was driving around today and noticed a lot of people have home security signs.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I keep my valuables in a safe deposit box at the bank, but I’ve read that the best safes are ones that take 2-3 people just to move it, and have that bolted securely. The idea is to make it far more trouble than it’s worth for anyone to carry it off.

The one I’m looking at is 900 lbs but I’m not even sure how to confirm my floor can handle that kind of weight. I definitely don’t want a little safe. We cleared out the tons of blackberries in our yard and found someone else’s empty, broken little safe hiding in there.

Nothing new to add- just very sorry this happened to you :(sad

Thank you. That sucked way more than I thought it would.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry this happened to you - I have experienced this and it’s such a feeling of violation. I have ring cameras around my home and use a local alarm company. It is recommended to use a company that has a local call center. Being on the same time zone is and important factor. Also, I suggest you purchase a safe that a can be bolted into your foundation. Good luck to you.

Thank you. It really is... I didn’t realize: how upset I’d be. How do you like ring? I’m considering buying a bunch because they’re super affordable and their commercials look good. I’m still researching all the companies/ options. I know for sure we’ll do wired camera, but our house is so long I haven’t found wired cameras that can reach end to end. I’m thinking I need to supplement with wireless.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker im so sorry you were robbed
and it sucks the police arnt much help
best wishes with your insurance company

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the sense that someone has been in your home, touched your things and generally violated your sanctuary that is so upsetting @winnietucker. I’m sorry you’ve been burgled. The important thing to remember is that stuff can be replaced and you’re all safe.

Check out with your insurance company what grade of safe you need in order for them to cover the items inside it. (Ours just changed their criteria so we had to upgrade ours). As others have said, it needs to be bolted in so it can’t be easily removed, if possible put it in a lockable alarmed cupboard.

if you haven’t already, get security lights outside your house, external cameras and a good monitored alarm system. Make sure you’ve got signage saying you’ve got cameras and an alarm. I know it’s not always practical, but a big dog is also a good deterrent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry @winnietucker. We have Frontpoint at alarm.com and we are very pleased with them. We have security cameras all around the property and it takes photos constantly of any movement that we have records of as long as we want to keep them. And we can see remotely what is happening and also control the cameras and alarms remotely. If the alarm goes off they call us immediately (and we must supply the with the correct password or they will call the police but not say they are calling the police just in case the criminal is there threatening us so they make believe yes it is the correct password but then they call the police) and if they cannot get us they call the local police. We have had the police come to our home a few times in the past 7-8 years that we have had this alarm system. It is so worth it as we are not here full time and it gives us peace of mind. We also have a sign out front alerting everyone to the fact we have the security system. It is very easy to install and use.

We also have security lights that go on with any movement. Covering our entire property.

It is such a violation to go through this and I hope whatever system you decide on gives you peace of mind. (((Hugs))).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry that you got burgled. We've had monitored systems in the past, they give you peace of mind. Now we just have the Ring doorbell, which catches anything going on out front and videos it of course. For interior use, we have 3 guard Chihuahuas. No one would be able to stand the level and volume of frenzy if they tried to or got in the house. :eek2: We do have the ADT wiring of all the doors and windows, and the dogs go nuts when they hear any of them ding.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Safe information in this thread:
tl-15 safe from a local safe company.
You can get a used commercial safe at a large discount from new.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not to be scary but a common thing is to rehit a house a few months again after stuff has been replaced.

These days even a RSC rated safe is questionable thanks to the internet and cheap powerful battery powered angle grinders for things of high value.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And get a safe with the twirly lock thing rather than electronic. Electronic is easier but the twirly lock thing is more secure. The guys at our safe shop said it’s also better if you have kids because even very small kids will sneakily watch you punching the numbers on a keypad and get into the safe. They highly recommended the twirly lock thing.

Q

Queenie60

Thank you. It really is... I didn’t realize: how upset I’d be. How do you like ring? I’m considering buying a bunch because they’re super affordable and their commercials look good. I’m still researching all the companies/ options. I know for sure we’ll do wired camera, but our house is so long I haven’t found wired cameras that can reach end to end. I’m thinking I need to supplement with wireless.
I have 13 rings as my home is quite large 6 of the 13 are wired and the others are battery operated. We have had them for about 2 years and like them. Clear pictures and I like the notifications on the phone app. Recommend them

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the pics you have on Nextdoor, Facebook, and your local subreddit. Just saw a case of a stolen truck solved last week after dude posted pic of truck and chain restaurants’ footage of suspects on my local subreddit. Social media is a criminal’s worst nightmare. Out them every place online you can think of!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker im so sorry you were robbed
and it sucks the police arnt much help
best wishes with your insurance company

Thank you. And thankfully the stuff stolen wasn’t of insurance claim value. I do believe they tried to come back and then left when I popped out. Unfortunately my driveway is too long and I was slow to get a plate number.

It’s the sense that someone has been in your home, touched your things and generally violated your sanctuary that is so upsetting @winnietucker. I’m sorry you’ve been burgled. The important thing to remember is that stuff can be replaced and you’re all safe.

Check out with your insurance company what grade of safe you need in order for them to cover the items inside it. (Ours just changed their criteria so we had to upgrade ours). As others have said, it needs to be bolted in so it can’t be easily removed, if possible put it in a lockable alarmed cupboard.

if you haven’t already, get security lights outside your house, external cameras and a good monitored alarm system. Make sure you’ve got signage saying you’ve got cameras and an alarm. I know it’s not always practical, but a big dog is also a good deterrent.

I’m working on all of that. I just bought enough high resolution cameras that absolutely no spot on my property will go unwatched now and am working on getting the rest done this coming week... I feel unhinged.

I am so sorry @winnietucker. We have Frontpoint at alarm.com and we are very pleased with them. We have security cameras all around the property and it takes photos constantly of any movement that we have records of as long as we want to keep them. And we can see remotely what is happening and also control the cameras and alarms remotely. If the alarm goes off they call us immediately (and we must supply the with the correct password or they will call the police but not say they are calling the police just in case the criminal is there threatening us so they make believe yes it is the correct password but then they call the police) and if they cannot get us they call the local police. We have had the police come to our home a few times in the past 7-8 years that we have had this alarm system. It is so worth it as we are not here full time and it gives us peace of mind. We also have a sign out front alerting everyone to the fact we have the security system. It is very easy to install and use.

We also have security lights that go on with any movement. Covering our entire property.

It is such a violation to go through this and I hope whatever system you decide on gives you peace of mind. (((Hugs))).

Thank you! I’m researching all the security companies now. Everyone claims they have the best response/ reporting time so I’m trying to figure out what’s what.

I'm sorry that you got burgled. We've had monitored systems in the past, they give you peace of mind. Now we just have the Ring doorbell, which catches anything going on out front and videos it of course. For interior use, we have 3 guard Chihuahuas. No one would be able to stand the level and volume of frenzy if they tried to or got in the house. :eek2: We do have the ADT wiring of all the doors and windows, and the dogs go nuts when they hear any of them ding.

I was so close to buying a ring doorbell when it went on sale last month at Costco too! But I figured we didn’t need it since we’ve lived in worse areas and have never had problems. I learned my lesson.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Safe information in this thread:
tl-15 safe from a local safe company.
You can get a used commercial safe at a large discount from new.

Thank you for linking this! When I have a moment to get on a computer I’ll read through that entire thread so I can sort through links and Google things more easily.

I think they tried to come back a second time not too long after they came, so I’ll be very prepared the next time around.

And get a safe with the twirly lock thing rather than electronic. Electronic is easier but the twirly lock thing is more secure. The guys at our safe shop said it’s also better if you have kids because even very small kids will sneakily watch you punching the numbers on a keypad and get into the safe. They highly recommended the twirly lock thing.

That’s super good to know because it’s not even something that would have crossed my mind. Thank you!

I have 13 rings as my home is quite large 6 of the 13 are wired and the others are battery operated. We have had them for about 2 years and like them. Clear pictures and I like the notifications on the phone app. Recommend them

Thank you for the review. I’m definitely going to look into the doorbell ones either from Ring or through a security company. We ended up buying 12 wired cameras today. I wish I knew more about them, my husband is the tech savvy guy and picked them out but I like that floodlight one Ring has too.

Post the pics you have on Nextdoor, Facebook, and your local subreddit. Just saw a case of a stolen truck solved last week after dude posted pic of truck and chain restaurants’ footage of suspects on my local subreddit. Social media is a criminal’s worst nightmare. Out them every place online you can think of!

I have posted pics absolutely everywhere I could think of. I’ve told my neighbors. I considered being extra petty and blowing up a photo of the guy and posting outside in the front of my yard like stores do when you shoplift (but that seems like a bit much so I’m still thinking about it) since I live on a decently busy road. My husband is worried this guy will retaliate but I’m fired up.

Oh @winnietucker! I'm so sorry! :(2

Thank you. Luckily we are terrible movers and haven’t fully unpacked/ reorganized so everything is kind of a mess around here... probably made stealing stuff harder.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh dear @winnietucker
you poor thing
do you have a dog ?
this isnt a nice welcome to your new neighbourhod
while i love the idea of the blown up picture visible from the road please be careful
i think the important thing (apart from you know .... jail for the burgler and you to get your things back) is to stay safe and for this person or persons to never come near you or your house again

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just had another thought @winnietucker, the first thing we always do when we’ve moved into a new home, is to change all the locks. You never know who the previous owners gave a key to.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m researching all the security companies now. Everyone claims they have the best response/ reporting time so I’m trying to figure out what’s what.

Hi winnie, if you have Consumer Reports you can log in and read the reviews on Frontpoint and other home security systems.

They rank very highly. As do other home security systems. You can read all the reviews on CR.

If you don't have CR here is a web site I found while searching for reviews for you.

HTH.

FWIW I think having almost any home security system is better than not having one and is a deterrent. Many criminals want an easy in and out and might think twice about breaking into a home that has any home security system. All I can share is our experience with Frontpoint as we have never had any other home security system and so far so good. The response time is within a minute of when the alarm goes off and then the police were at our home within 5 minutes. That of course would depend on your local police response time. And using the remote app (critical for us as this is our second home) is super easy.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry you were invaded like that too! What an awful feeling..... I've been researching safes and security lately, and the truth is the inground safes are the safest. If you go to Youtube, you'll see how easily and quickly someone can get into the biggest heaviest safe with a $50 grinder from Harbor Freight and a couple of blades.

I love the idea of bank security boxes, but I know I'd never go the bank to get the stuff I want to wear, so what's the point? Currently I hide stuff in plain sight where no one would think to look. A box of Saltines in the back of the cupboard, a detergent box on the shelf of the laundry room, an old paint can in the garage, a small box on top of a tall china cabinet, under the cushion of a decorative chair, etc. They may find it if they carry a metal detector on them, but the research shows that most burglars aren't in your home for very long and look in the usual places in the bedroom for valuables. So now I keep my valuables out of the bedroom.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We are looking for security lights... REALLY bright, motion sensitive ones. Any suggestions??

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are looking for security lights... REALLY bright, motion sensitive ones. Any suggestions??

Hi @msop04, here's what we have.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sorry this happened to you. But I have to ask how did they get in? windows or door? I would harden those areas as they're generally the most vulnerable.

My suggestion is a steel door with unbumpable locks (deadbolts) and very long screws in the hinge side. (medico or mul-T-Locks)

Being I'm in Florida my doors swing outward. Good for hurricanes and they can't be kicked in. if you can't change the swing of your door (you really might not want to or can't) then consider a metal door. My door is hurricane rated and metal with a solid dense core. Not a cheap door but also means its harder to break into than a wood door.

Next, look at the windows. Because I have impact glass that not only helps with hurricanes but break-ins. 3M makes a security film that is made to go over glass that also makes it pretty resistant. Less expensive than replacing windows trust me!

My screens are knife resistant and you can't remove them easily from the outside. I used a local company here who makes them specific to your window size.

Those are you true first line defense areas.

Definitely get a safe and, get an alarm, as well as the lighting, but if they have a hard time getting in, they won't try for long.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results